Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Miles Expiring - Any Way to Extend Them for Free or Low Cost?

Miles Expiring - Any Way to Extend Them for Free or Low Cost?

Old Feb 14, 2023, 8:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, IHG Diamond, Omni Platinum
Originally Posted by SmokeDaMeat
I haven't checked that option, but I don't really want another credit card. I looked briefly, and it might be that miles earned while you have the card never expire, but I'm not sure existing miles are treated that way.
Can anyone confirm whether the credit card prevents the expiration of miles obtained prior to the credit card?

Also, am I able to book a flight with a travel date after the expiration date? That is, if my miles expire 4/30/23, can I today book a flight with a travel date of Sept 1?

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:52 pm

Programs: IHG, Marriot, Emirates
Originally Posted by drod
Can anyone confirm whether the credit card prevents the expiration of miles obtained prior to the credit card?

Also, am I able to book a flight with a travel date after the expiration date? That is, if my miles expire 4/30/23, can I today book a flight with a travel date of Sept 1?

Thanks
I found this under the terms and conditions of the Barclay Emirates Skywards credit card.

"No Miles Expiry
  • Skywards Miles are normally valid for a period of three years from the date they were earned as stated in the standard Emirates Skywards Program Rules.
  • As a benefit of having the Emirates Skywards Rewards World Elite Mastercard, Skywards Miles belonging to the primary cardmember will not expire as long as they have an open Card Account in Good Standing.
  • If the Card Account is closed, Emirates Skywards will communicate an adjusted expiry date for any Miles that should have expired as per the standard Emirates Skywards Program Rules.
  • The adjusted expiry date will be two months from the Card Account closure date."
Old Feb 15, 2023, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by drod
That is no problem but any changes made after the expiry date which require a re-issue of the ticket may cause a problem.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:34 am

Programs: Skywards
Is it possible for a non-resident to get a card?
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Any new ideas or news on expiration policies? I have a lot of miles expiring on 3/31... the cost to extend is just too much (they'll only let me extend 200K for $2K) and I just can't get the credit card right now.

That means using the miles seems to be my only option -- that's fine actually as I have a trip I need to book, but worried I'll lose flexibility and change capabilities as I'm sure I can't re-deposit miles after this....
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by bworrell
That means using the miles seems to be my only option -- that's fine actually as I have a trip I need to book, but worried I'll lose flexibility and change capabilities as I'm sure I can't re-deposit miles after this....
If it's just date changes you should be OK. The miles seem to "stick" to the booking during the change process and as long as there is availability the changes get made using the original miles. You may not be as lucky on more complex changes.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, IHG Diamond, Omni Platinum
Originally Posted by Moh20
I found this under the terms and conditions of the Barclay Emirates Skywards credit card.

"No Miles Expiry
  • Skywards Miles are normally valid for a period of three years from the date they were earned as stated in the standard Emirates Skywards Program Rules.
  • As a benefit of having the Emirates Skywards Rewards World Elite Mastercard, Skywards Miles belonging to the primary cardmember will not expire as long as they have an open Card Account in Good Standing.
  • If the Card Account is closed, Emirates Skywards will communicate an adjusted expiry date for any Miles that should have expired as per the standard Emirates Skywards Program Rules.
  • The adjusted expiry date will be two months from the Card Account closure date."
I can confirm that the credit card removed the pending expiration of my miles. Specifically, I had miles scheduled to expire 3/31/23. I applied for the credit card last night and confirmed that the pending expiration date was immediately removed after I received approval. My status was also instantly upgraded to Silver.
Moh20 likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
If I cancel the credit card, does the regular mileage expiration kick in (I.e. 3 years from when the miles were earned) or do I get 3 years from when I cancel the credit card?
Old May 26, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by MarkP24
If I cancel the credit card, does the regular mileage expiration kick in (I.e. 3 years from when the miles were earned) or do I get 3 years from when I cancel the credit card?
As indicated in post #32 earlier, it appears that EK will, for any miles that would have otherwise already expired, set a new expiration date that is two months from the date that the CC account is closed.
Old May 27, 2023, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Brostman
As indicated in post #32 earlier, it appears that EK will, for any miles that would have otherwise already expired, set a new expiration date that is two months from the date that the CC account is closed.
Thanks! So if they're not set to expire, having the CC won't make a difference, right?

Also, when they normally expire 3 years after posting in the birth month of the account holder, if my birthday is in July and the miles post in July would I only get 3 years or would I get 4? Namely to maximize the expiration (to get 4 years), do I need the miles to post in August or can they post in July?
Old May 27, 2023, 8:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Thanks! So if they're not set to expire, having the CC won't make a difference, right?
That is correct. So if you are able to utilize the points prior to their normal expiration, then having the CC won't make a difference.

Also, when they normally expire 3 years after posting in the birth month of the account holder, if my birthday is in July and the miles post in July would I only get 3 years or would I get 4? Namely to maximize the expiration (to get 4 years), do I need the miles to post in August or can they post in July?
Not positive, but I interpret the terms to suggest that if the standard expiration date falls in the same month as your birth month, than that 3 yr window is the expiration date.
Old May 27, 2023, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Brostman
That is correct. So if you are able to utilize the points prior to their normal expiration, then having the CC won't make a difference.

Not positive, but I interpret the terms to suggest that if the standard expiration date falls in the same month as your birth month, than that 3 yr window is the expiration date.
Thanks. That's what I thought as well.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does Emirates have any transfer partners? like for magazines or hotel points? I have 2,000 points that will expire soon. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.