Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Probability of upgrade over Christmas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2022, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Hi Guys,

So plan is to use points to upgrade Y Flex to Business for 2 people, at present we fly back on the 1st Jan from Jed > DXB > LHR. JED to DXB does show but the booking does not allow upgrade as I assume its looking at upgrade for the full sector. What do you think will be the probabilty of being able to upgrade, remote or probable? Not sure if worth holding out or just spend the points on something else
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:06 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by suley
Hi Guys,

So plan is to use points to upgrade Y Flex to Business for 2 people, at present we fly back on the 1st Jan from Jed > DXB > LHR. JED to DXB does show but the booking does not allow upgrade as I assume its looking at upgrade for the full sector. What do you think will be the probabilty of being able to upgrade, remote or probable? Not sure if worth holding out or just spend the points on something else
I am afraid it's almost impossible to predict upgrade availability this far in advance and as EF no longer supports award / upgrade availability on EK, one cannot even set an alert for that.
Your post title says "Christmas" but you mention 1 Jan, which in my part of the world is New Year (but that is immaterial).
Getting availability for both sectors at the same time is (much) less likely than for either of the sectors separately and you can upgrade a single sector on-line when it becomes available (the caveat possibly being that the total miles needed for two sectors booked separately are more than if you manage to grab both at the same time).
What flight number pair are you looking at? The three JED/DXB flights on 1/1/23 have lots of availability (for commercial tickets, I don't know about upgrades of course). For DXB/LHR it's more difficult to predict. On 2/1/23 EK is only selling J bucket fares (i.e. Flex+) but that does not mean that there is a lot of demand at this stage , just that they think people will spend that much money on a Business class fare.....
I would suggest to set upgrade alerts on MMB, check regularly etc. And you can upgrade up to the moment you enter the aircraft if there are any seats left.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Hi Guys,

Speaking from experience, I assume reward upgrades would be extremely low for you be it a single sector or both the sectors. The Saudis LOVE Dubai, and as you know, there's always an exodus of the Saudis every Thursday for a weekend getaway to Dubai. Due to it being a holiday season, I would assume JED-DXB would be packed by then. DXB-LHR is self explanatory, it is bound to be full by then. I would recommend you to buy the tickets outright to save the hassle or splurge the points for something fancy.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh
I am afraid it's almost impossible to predict upgrade availability this far in advance and as EF no longer supports award / upgrade availability on EK, one cannot even set an alert for that.
Your post title says "Christmas" but you mention 1 Jan, which in my part of the world is New Year (but that is immaterial).
Getting availability for both sectors at the same time is (much) less likely than for either of the sectors separately and you can upgrade a single sector on-line when it becomes available (the caveat possibly being that the total miles needed for two sectors booked separately are more than if you manage to grab both at the same time).
What flight number pair are you looking at? The three JED/DXB flights on 1/1/23 have lots of availability (for commercial tickets, I don't know about upgrades of course). For DXB/LHR it's more difficult to predict. On 2/1/23 EK is only selling J bucket fares (i.e. Flex+) but that does not mean that there is a lot of demand at this stage , just that they think people will spend that much money on a Business class fare.....
I would suggest to set upgrade alerts on MMB, check regularly etc. And you can upgrade up to the moment you enter the aircraft if there are any seats left.
Thanks, I did mean to write new years but once i hit submit it was not possible to revert. It is EK806 onto EK5. I have looked at manage my booking but I cant see a notify button. I have an upgrade with miles when if i select, it advises no upgrades availible at present. I have been searching using clasic rewards and it seems days around have been blacked out
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:04 pm

I have looked at manage my booking but I cant see a notify button.
It will say "Set Alert" or something similar and should be here where mine says "Alert is set" on the Upgrade screen accessed through Manage a Booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.