Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Getting a seat for an under-two year old child

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:15 am
Original Poster

My daughter-in-law lives in Japan and wants to buy two return economy tickets from there to the U.K. for her and my grandson who is 20 months old on the outward leg and will be two years old on the return leg.
when she tries to book online all is well until she enters his date of birth, at which point she can’t books seat for him outbound. She really doesn’t want to fly that distance with a large toddler on her knee!
Emirates say that to book a seat for and under-two year old you should call them by telephone. There is one number, seemingly for a centralised call centre, and by it hasn’t been answered so far!
Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:01 am

Call out of office hours and you call should be rerouted to Dubai or another centre with more resources.
Pandor likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:03 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by Ssteve
My daughter-in-law lives in Japan and wants to buy two return economy tickets from there to the U.K. for her and my grandson who is 20 months old on the outward leg and will be two years old on the return leg.
when she tries to book online all is well until she enters his date of birth, at which point she can’t books seat for him outbound. She really doesn’t want to fly that distance with a large toddler on her knee!
Emirates say that to book a seat for and under-two year old you should call them by telephone. There is one number, seemingly for a centralised call centre, and by it hasn’t been answered so far!
Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks.
I just adjust the birth year by 1 and book a child ticket. The birth year can be adjusted later (it's not an issue). If she flies EK often, she can also open a Skywards account for the child to get credit for the miles traveled (again, just adjust the birth year).
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:59 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by extramileage
I just adjust the birth year by 1 and book a child ticket. The birth year can be adjusted later (it's not an issue). If she flies EK often, she can also open a Skywards account for the child to get credit for the miles traveled (again, just adjust the birth year).
Isnt that lying about a passengers birth year?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:02 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by redeternet7
Isnt that lying about a passengers birth year?
Thank you, captain obvious. Is that relevant for the reservation? No.

As I note above, the DOB (and passport info) can be updated at any time under "Manage My Booking". The name at reservation needs to match the passport, and in any case passport information is verified/updated at check in.

By the way: if you ever want to book your child as an Unaccompanied Minor, Emirates first instructs you to purchase an adult ticket. So if your child under 12, you have to "lie" about their age to purchase said adult ticket.
redeternet7 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by extramileage
just call in and pay the fare difference for a seat for the return - pretty easy to do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.