Award Date Change at Airport

Old May 25, 2022, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Award Date Change at Airport

Hi - have a business flex award MXP-JFK. Would like to fly the day before. There are Y awards avail but not J - although looks like plenty of J seats on the day I want to fly.
Was reading it’s possible to upgrade to any J seat day of….could I revert to the Y booking then “upgrade” with additional miles on day I want to go and end up with the same miles cost?
Will they just let me switch because it’s a biz flex?
Thanks for any input here.
Old May 25, 2022, 7:12 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by allergictocoach
Hi - have a business flex award MXP-JFK. Would like to fly the day before. There are Y awards avail but not J - although looks like plenty of J seats on the day I want to fly.
Was reading it’s possible to upgrade to any J seat day of….could I revert to the Y booking then “upgrade” with additional miles on day I want to go and end up with the same miles cost?
Will they just let me switch because it’s a biz flex?
Thanks for any input here.
Is the current ticket you have a straight award booking or a cash ticket, upgraded with miles? Your post is a bit unclear on that and it makes a big difference.

If it is the former, you can cancel the booking, get the miles back (probably not the taxes and surcharges you paid, but I have no personal experience with that) and you can then certainly buy a Y ticket and try to upgrade at the airport under the 'any available seat after the flight has closed' scheme. Of course you run the risk that J is full and you sit at the back (or downstairs whatever the case may be).

If it is the latter, it's a bit more complicated I think. You can cancel the upgrade, but only if there are still seats available in your original fare bucket. If there aren't, you go to the next available bucket which comes at a cost. I guess you could then cancel that ticket and be charged whatever the fare conditions say. And then buy a Y ticket etc etc as above.

What they wont let you do is just change the date if there are no award seats available on the day you want to travel. If there are, it's no problem. Just call the contact centre.

Hope this helps.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Business Flex Award - not an upgraded ticket.

Very helpful info thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.