Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to F for partner award ticket

Old Jan 22, 22, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond

Any know if I book an EK J ticket using partner miles for example JL or QF, will I able to use Skywards miles to upgrade the ticket in F at the airport on the day of travel or online?
Old Jan 22, 22, 9:16 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I do expect you would be able to do it at the airport or onboard without issue. In my experience anything goes then. I can’t answer for online.
Jma12 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 22, 1:01 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johhn14
I do expect you would be able to do it at the airport or onboard without issue. In my experience anything goes then. I can’t answer for online.
Sorry, this is just wrong. You cannot upgrade partner ticket stock with a different currency.

Cash at the airport, perhaps, but certainly not before and definitely not miles.
Old Jan 24, 22, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Sorry, this is just wrong. You cannot upgrade partner ticket stock with a different currency.

Cash at the airport, perhaps, but certainly not before and definitely not miles.
Why is it wrong? Many airline such as DL allows to use Skymiles to upgrade on transatlantic VS flights. Also *A allows all members from same alliance to upgrade on certain fare class regardless of ticket stock.
Old Jan 24, 22, 9:54 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jma12
Why is it wrong? Many airline such as DL allows to use Skymiles to upgrade on transatlantic VS flights. Also *A allows all members from same alliance to upgrade on certain fare class regardless of ticket stock.
QF is a partnership, they arent in the OW alliance with EK and this cannot be done. It is wrong in this scenario, that was my point.
argonath likes this.
Old Jan 24, 22, 11:25 pm

Yes, but those examples are all from revenue tickets issued by a partner airline.

I have yet to come across any ability to upgrade an award ticket issued by a partner airline using miles.
Old Jan 26, 22, 9:57 pm

I just tried this by booking an EK J award using QF FF, waited for the booking to get ticketed, logged on to Emirates to manage the booking and it said "the booking is not eligible for Upgrades (cash or miles) because it wasn't booked through Emirates and that it was booked via a third party".
Old Jan 27, 22, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by derrickds
I just tried this by booking an EK J award using QF FF, waited for the booking to get ticketed, logged on to Emirates to manage the booking and it said "the booking is not eligible for Upgrades (cash or miles) because it wasn't booked through Emirates and that it was booked via a third party".
Thank you for your DP, I guess the only way for this is to do cash upgrade at the airport.
Old Jan 27, 22, 2:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Thank you for your DP, I guess the only way for this is to do cash upgrade at the airport.
You *may* be able to upgrade on-board with points if you are Silver or above. The on-board software is a bit flakey and may allow this. But, I wouldn't chance it if you get offered a cash upgrade.
Old Jan 27, 22, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You *may* be able to upgrade on-board with points if you are Silver or above. The on-board software is a bit flakey and may allow this. But, I wouldn't chance it if you get offered a cash upgrade.
Thank you for this, according to the EK website, blue members can also do on board upgrade now?
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jan 27, 22, 3:35 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Thank you for this, according to the EK website, blue members can also do on board upgrade now?

Well spotted! I was not aware of this change.
Old Jan 27, 22, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Well spotted! I was not aware of this change.
Indeed
Old Jan 27, 22, 5:16 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
It was always confusing to me as to why theyd restrict this to higher tiers.
Old Jan 27, 22, 5:47 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican2
It was always confusing to me as to why they’d restrict this to higher tiers.
Yes, especially as I wonder how many Blue members have sufficient miles in their account to upgrade anyway (it's possible of course).

Unless they were Silver the year before and were downgraded.

And of course there are these credit card points transfer....

So maybe not THAT unusual.......
Old Jan 27, 22, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Yes, especially as I wonder how many Blue members have sufficient miles in their account to upgrade anyway (it's possible of course).

Unless they were Silver the year before and were downgraded.

And of course there are these credit card points transfer....

So maybe not THAT unusual.......
And people buying points! A cheapish way to upgrade from J to F for a Blue

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.