Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2022

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2022

Old May 21, 22, 10:50 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
EK375 is an A380. At 6h30m it should have the full F service.
EK151 is a 77W, BUT it looks like they are using a 2 class frame next week so no F. this is information from Expert Flyer. Last week there has been a mixture of 2 and 3 class frames (from Flightradar24)
Note that this is a 20 hour layover. EK385/151 is a 3 and a half hour layover EK385 is a (3 class) 77W, so you miss out on the shower and the bar (but I find the service on the 77W often better than on the 380)
EK use their own lounge in BKK which appears to be open.
There is a chauffeur drive in BKK, the rules are a bit convoluted. see: https://www.emirates.com/za/english/...auffeur-drive/
Thanks for the concise info, I'm all new to EK.

The F product on the two segments, is there any way to determine if it is the old or new F?

-A

Last edited by ph-ndr; May 21, 22 at 10:54 am Reason: Speeling
Old May 21, 22, 11:08 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by ph-ndr View Post
Thanks for the concise info, I'm all new to EK.

The F product on the two segments, is there any way to determine if it is the old or new F?

-A
when you look on the seat map and see 6 seats in F itís the new F, 8 seats is old F.
Thatís for the 77W, the 380 only has old F.
ph-ndr likes this.
Old May 22, 22, 1:19 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Can anyone shed light on secondary screening at the gate please? I was flying Dubai to Heathrow in F. Most passengers had there bags searched upon boarding but after showing my UK passport the security waved me through.

Last edited by GodAtum; May 22, 22 at 2:03 am
Old May 22, 22, 4:21 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by GodAtum View Post
Can anyone shed light on secondary screening at the gate please? I was flying Dubai to Heathrow in F. Most passengers had there bags searched upon boarding but after showing my UK passport the security waved me through.
Yes, this happens and it's unclear what the 'criteria' are (unpredictable, as it should be).
Mrs t and myself have passports from the same country and on one occasion her hand luggage was thoroughly scrutinised and I was waved through. That was also on a DXB / LHR flight (in J if it makes any difference).
On one occasion (a few years ago), we both got an op-up to F (DXB/LGW if I remember correctly). Many passengers go a secondary check, we did not.
Old May 22, 22, 6:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
My first flight on Emirates is coming up (JFK to Milan). It stated to arrive four hours ahead of the flight. Is this necessary? If not, how early should I arrive? If it matters, flying coach.
Old May 22, 22, 11:05 am

Desk (or really, flight) will close 60 minutes before departure, so it's really up to you how fine you want to make it, considering TSA lines and your walking speed to the gate.
Long Distance likes this.
Old May 23, 22, 1:18 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post
Desk (or really, flight) will close 60 minutes before departure, so it's really up to you how fine you want to make it, considering TSA lines and your walking speed to the gate.
Of course the time waiting in the queue for the checkin also plays a part here. 4 hours seems excessively long, but then I don't know the Y checkin setup at JFK. 2 hours is my normal rule flying J (or F), and that is always ample.
Old May 23, 22, 1:37 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Long Distance View Post
My first flight on Emirates is coming up (JFK to Milan). It stated to arrive four hours ahead of the flight. Is this necessary? If not, how early should I arrive? If it matters, flying coach.
If you don't have precheck and/or clear, security at JFK T4 at that time of day is always a nightmare. Probably better off getting there early.
Old May 24, 22, 9:35 am

Of course the time waiting in the queue for the checkin also plays a part here. 4 hours seems excessively long, but then I don't know the Y checkin setup at JFK. 2 hours is my normal rule flying J (or F), and that is always ample.
I think they have around 8-10 agents during the main departure window for a flight at JFK doing Y/bag-drop.

I have to admit I haven't waited for more than a few minutes at an EK check in for many, many years, so I also don't know how long the average Y wait is, sorry!
Old May 26, 22, 7:05 am

Programs: AA PLT
Is an award waitlist the same thing as the auto upgrade with miles tool in MMB? My flight is pretty close in and going out 2/14 in F and Iíd sleep a lot better knowing Iíve done everything to set myself up for success to clear the upgrade before trying my hand at the airport upgrade.

And I presume if I canít see any award space thereís no use calling and asking if thereís upgrade space? in othersí experience is the award booking tool going to always show the same inventory the phone agents can see?
Old May 26, 22, 8:43 am

Do we tip at dinner?

Stupid question for first class lounge in Dubai: do we tip after dinner, lunch, or breakfast?
Old May 26, 22, 9:03 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Plat
Originally Posted by pampa View Post
Stupid question for first class lounge in Dubai: do we tip after dinner, lunch, or breakfast?
Iíve never in the dining area or spa. Never seen it either.

I have tipped for shoe shines, but never occurred to me to do it at the dining. Dubai isnít a mandatory tipping city anyway. if you want to, I guess you can. Doubt itís expected.
Old May 26, 22, 10:16 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by pampa View Post
No ways! Itís not the USA!
DYKWIA likes this.
Old May 26, 22, 10:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

No ways! Itís not the USA!
These are normally followed by :-

"Well, I felt bad, so I dropped the server $20 anyway. He seemed really pleased".
thijsseh likes this.
Old May 27, 22, 3:10 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Gold, United 1K
My Family Program

Newbie question. I've never flown Emirates before and don't see myself flying it very often, but I'm about to fly in a couple of months with 7-8 family members. Is there any reason we shouldn't pool all of our miles into a newly created My Family account? Are there limitations to what can be redeemed through a family account vs. an individual account? Thanks in advance for your help!

Search this Thread