Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates Family Account HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Angry Emirates Family Account HELP!!!!!

It seems I am stuck and please help me if anyone has ever faced this.

1) I booked tickets for My parents.
2) I transferred Amex points to my Account so I can upgrade My Parent ticket to Business class whenever available
3) I added them to my family account and I set my contribution as 100% so I can upgrade tickets.

after those three steps when I tried to upgrade tickets I saw it says I do not have enough skyward miles to Upgrade so I called customer care and explained step by step what I did.
To my surprise, she told me I should have added them first to my family account (Step no 3 should be 2 here) and then should have transferred my points from Amex to Emirates.

so Technically she is saying all the points I transferred to use towards family are wasted and can't is used for the upgrade.

did anyone else faced this situation and what solution if any provided by Emirates?
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:18 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
This is not 100% clear.

First, someone doesn't need to be in your Family Account for you to upgrade their ticket with your own miles. I do this all the time.

However, when transferring points from Amex or Chase, they get routed into YOUR ACCOUNT unless you have set to contribute some/all to the FAMILY ACCOUNT

If you set your contribution to the family account only AFTER transferring the points, then yes that's too late. You can't move Skywards miles around.

If you have enough miles for both upgrades in your account, you could just upgrade them directly. If you have enough miles for 1 upgrade only, then you could split the PNRs and do it that way.

Sorry if this doesn't solve the situation.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:28 am
Original Poster

This is Helpful. Apparently customer care over the phone is worst . I reached out to Emirates support on Twitter and they resolved this issue almost immediately.

I asked again and again but Lady on the phone from Emirates customer care did not care to think out of box and see what possible solution . Her tone and language was through out the conversation was like I am screwed and I committed a big crime and there is no way out.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by Jigsaw208
This is Helpful. Apparently customer care over the phone is worst . I reached out to Emirates support on Twitter and they resolved this issue almost immediately.

I asked again and again but Lady on the phone from Emirates customer care did not care to think out of box and see what possible solution . Her tone and language was through out the conversation was like I am screwed and I committed a big crime and there is no way out.
I think that’s the exception rather than the rule. The EK call centre is pretty good, in my experience, and generally empowered. On occasion you do get the poor agent though. As sometimes the people on Twitter aren’t very on the ball either.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: Skywards
if the points are in your own account, then load up their booking reference and then upgrade
Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Angry Just happened to me

Ugh, I am now in the same situation and it's extremely frustrating. I had done the family setup before I transferred in miles from Citi, but they are now somehow siloed: P2's account (transferred from his Amex) shows the miles in the family account, but mine are in my personal account. Just called and the phone agents are saying nothing can be done to combine the totals and book the flights I want together. When I referenced this thread (just said it looks like this SHOULD be possible based on what I'm seeing from other people), she said she would escalate it but it could take 48 hours for resolution, and it's partner inventory so they can't place it on hold. Also reached out on Twitter, but no response yet.

What a crazy process that doesn't allow anyone to pool existing miles.
Old May 17, 2022, 10:26 pm

Programs: EK
Originally Posted by daslax
Ugh, I am now in the same situation and it's extremely frustrating. I had done the family setup before I transferred in miles from Citi, but they are now somehow siloed: P2's account (transferred from his Amex) shows the miles in the family account, but mine are in my personal account. Just called and the phone agents are saying nothing can be done to combine the totals and book the flights I want together. When I referenced this thread (just said it looks like this SHOULD be possible based on what I'm seeing from other people), she said she would escalate it but it could take 48 hours for resolution, and it's partner inventory so they can't place it on hold. Also reached out on Twitter, but no response yet.

What a crazy process that doesn't allow anyone to pool existing miles.
Did you sort it out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.