Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

JFK - MXP roundtrip - Fully flat seats in J, or slanted?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2021, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Anybody know if the Emirates Fifth Freedom flights between JFK and Milan (and return) still have the slanted seats in J?Or maybe they've been updated, or they will be soon? I'm still about a year away from this flight.

When searching for awards on this route, the only aircraft I see are 777-300ER.

Also do you know if the 777-300ER still has the 2 seats side by side window/aisle, or has it been updated to 1 seat by the window?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Looks like it's mostly operated with the older angle lie-flat seat. The angle doesnt bother me too much but I know ALOT of people here hate it with a passion. Also it will 2-3-2 like all 77W
Old Jul 30, 2021, 8:59 am

I really wish they would switch back to the A380 or even an updated 777. We transferred points to miles back in 2019 for a big trip in 2020 in J and it's a bit disappointing that now we are not getting that same experience, but still having to use the same number of miles to book this. Not life altering obviously just a little disappointing :/
Old Jul 30, 2021, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kq747
Looks like it's mostly operated with the older angle lie-flat seat. The angle doesnt bother me too much but I know ALOT of people here hate it with a passion. Also it will 2-3-2 like all 77W
That's a shame. I also could put up with the slanted seats (although I wouldn't be thrilled!).

But my wife has a disability and needs to keep her legs flat on flights over 5 hours. So unless Emirates updates the seats, we can't take this flight.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 2:27 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by rje444
That's a shame. I also could put up with the slanted seats (although I wouldn't be thrilled!).

But my wife has a disability and needs to keep her legs flat on flights over 5 hours. So unless Emirates updates the seats, we can't take this flight.
Of course I do not know anything about your wife's requirement, but have you got personal experience with the angle on the 77W? Although there undeniably is an angle, it is so shallow that when you take into account the slight 'nose up' angle of the aircraft in flight it is really minimal. Certainly not the best J seat, but the angle only is in my personal view not a big problem.
I don't think there is any chance at all that any of the 77W airframes with the current J product will be updated, and the vast majority are 'old J'.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 6:53 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
True, however in one year they could reinstate the A380 on this route, which is 1-2-1, like it was pre-Covid. If you have ExpertFlyer you could set up an alert for aircraft change, so you will know
Old Jul 31, 2021, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=thijsseh;33452491]Although there undeniably is an angle, it is so shallow that when you take into account the slight 'nose up' angle of the aircraft in flight it is really minimal.

Thanks, I hadn't remembered to take into account that aircraft fly with the nose up, so the angle might indeed be less noticeable. Also, I suppose we could request an extra blanket or 2 for her to put folded under her legs, to decrease the slant. So this might be possible after all.

On the 77W is it very difficult for the passenger in the window seat to get past the passenger in the aisle seat when the beds are fully extended?
Old Jul 31, 2021, 10:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
[QUOTE=rje444;33454022]
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Although there undeniably is an angle, it is so shallow that when you take into account the slight 'nose up' angle of the aircraft in flight it is really minimal.

Thanks, I hadn't remembered to take into account that aircraft fly with the nose up, so the angle might indeed be less noticeable. Also, I suppose we could request an extra blanket or 2 for her to put folded under her legs, to decrease the slant. So this might be possible after all.

On the 77W is it very difficult for the passenger in the window seat to get past the passenger in the aisle seat when the beds are fully extended?
Personally I think the nose up argument for the seat is a load of nonsense, the seat is angled and feels angled.

The degree of difficulty depends on the individual but you do have to climb over the other passenger if the seat is extended, you cannot walk round them.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Will08
Personally I think the nose up argument for the seat is a load of nonsense . . . .
Unless there' been a change to the laws of physics it's a fact. It's only on flyertalk or somewhere similar it would even get a mention its so minimal.
DYKWIA, thijsseh, m3red and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 4:20 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ft101
Unless there' been a change to the laws of physics it's a fact. It's only on flyertalk or somewhere similar it would even get a mention its so minimal.
Nose up, down, left or right the seat is angled and feels as such.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by afmiami
True, however in one year they could reinstate the A380 on this route, which is 1-2-1, like it was pre-Covid. If you have ExpertFlyer you could set up an alert for aircraft change, so you will know
Totally missed that the OP is travelling in a year! I think by then it very well could be an A380 route again
Old Aug 5, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
EK J on the older 777s is by no means the best, but the slight angle doesn’t bother me in the least. I don’t sleep well on planes but I’ve always managed to get decent rest on these seats.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 8:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ffman999
EK J on the older 777s is by no means the best, but the slight angle doesn’t bother me in the least. I don’t sleep well on planes but I’ve always managed to get decent rest on these seats.
Exactly - some would have you think they're like the old "wedgie" seats you used to get in J on many airlines.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:55 pm

Totally missed that the OP is travelling in a year! I think by then it very well could be an A380 route again
Forgive my ignorance, but when this route starting flying again why was the A380 not reinstated, and why is it still not being used?
Old Aug 6, 2021, 3:35 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Jenn0625
Forgive my ignorance, but when this route starting flying again why was the A380 not reinstated, and why is it still not being used?
EK put most of their A380 crew on unpaid leave, so they couldn't fly many A380's. I think there were about 10 flying. Some crew are now being recalled, so hopefully more A380's will be introduced soon.
Jenn0625 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.