Upgrade J to F with miles

Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by agjil
For awards and upgrades, does anyone know whether the fare bucket used for upgrade space from J to F is the same as the bucket used for F award space?
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Yes, Z bucket for both (assuming classic awards, not Flex+ awards). That’s why trying to book an award to check on miles upgrade works.
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
What if you've booked a Flex+ Business class award?
Following up on this question. I'm confused if there is a unique upgrade bucket for upgrading Flex+ Business class awards to First (i.e., different from Z inventory)? Of if it's all just Z inventory?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 6:58 pm

Following up on this question. I'm confused if there is a unique upgrade bucket for upgrading Flex+ Business class awards to First (i.e., different from Z inventory)? Of if it's all just Z inventory?
It doesn't matter what you're moving from. The upgrade bucket is the same one and just needs less miles if it's from a Flex+ fare rather than a Flex or even Saver.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
It doesn't matter what you're moving from. The upgrade bucket is the same one and just needs less miles if it's from a Flex+ fare rather than a Flex or even Saver.
Received an email letting me know there was upgrade availability on my flight. Although I was on the auto-upgrade list, it did not auto-upgrade me. Luckily, the seat was still there when I called in. 54k miles to upgrade a Flex+ award from IAD to DXB.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Received an email letting me know there was upgrade availability on my flight. Although I was on the auto-upgrade list, it did not auto-upgrade me. Luckily, the seat was still there when I called in. 54k miles to upgrade a Flex+ award from IAD to DXB.
How far is your flight? The auto upgrade feature only works if it's 60 days or less prior to the flight.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
How far is your flight? The auto upgrade feature only works if it's 60 days or less prior to the flight.
Definitely within 60 days of flight. Approximately 20 days until flight.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 11:46 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Just to bring some cheer into the thread.
I had a J booking AMS/DXB/CPT.
EK148 AMS/DXB looked like a light load in F from a few weeks ago and indeed an upgrade soon showed up so I grabbed it. Did not expect DXB/CPT to work at all, but set an alert anyway. I think alerts self-cancel T-48. Flight (ex AMS) was today. Looked at MMB this morning an lo and behold: upgrade available. Quickly called in and asked for the two upgrades to be combined. Took a few hours but the excellent agent actually phoned be back to say the combination had been approved. Now about an hour from DXB in F with load 3/14. Next flight looks like 8/8 so a bit puzzled why they released the upgrade. But happy camper.
Moral of the story: try as hard as you can, sometimes the cards fall in your favour.
To top it off: miles charged are as per the old redemption rates, CPT to Europe has not been changed (yet).
Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:23 pm

Query

Been told by Emirates online chat that if I book an award ticket Lhr - Dubai - Sin in business that I can not upgrade a segment to First if it becomes available and can only upgrade if both segments become available to upgrade. Is this correct?
Accounts on here imply you can upgrade just one sector.
Thanks in advance for any response
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:00 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by g888
Been told by Emirates online chat that if I book an award ticket Lhr - Dubai - Sin in business that I can not upgrade a segment to First if it becomes available and can only upgrade if both segments become available to upgrade. Is this correct?
I have quite often upgraded just one segment of a trip. Last week I upgraded AMS/DXB J to F and two days ago DXB/CPT when that became available Was no problem at all. Also managed to get charged the through rate; rather than the sum of the two separate upgrades (obviously I had to call in and request for that to happen). Excellent service from the call centre in Dubai (I called from AMS but it was answered by Dubai).
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by g888
Not accurate. You can upgrade each segment when it becomes available.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:23 am

Quickly called in and asked for the two upgrades to be combined. Took a few hours but the excellent agent actually phoned be back to say the combination had been approved.
So basically they downgraded you for the first flight and then upgraded the 2 flights as a combo? Never tried this and will definitely try it next time. I also think this will only work via CS, as if you want to upgrade the other segment at the airport will not work.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm going on Emirates from Syd to Rome. I'd like to know how much approximately the upgrade from J to F would be in $ from SYD to DXB. I booked through a travel agent and I don't want to ask her as she's so busy. I rang Emirates and they said that they couldn't help as I had booked through a travel agent.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 5:42 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I'm going on Emirates from Syd to Rome. I'd like to know how much approximately the upgrade from J to F would be in $ from SYD to DXB. I booked through a travel agent and I don't want to ask her as she's so busy. I rang Emirates and they said that they couldn't help as I had booked through a travel agent.
Just do a search on the EK site for the F price, and subtract what you've already paid. That will be ballpark figure.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 8:20 am

does anyone know if I can upgrade to F at airport either using skywards miles or cash if my ticket is issued via aeroplan award ticket?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 2:08 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
So basically they downgraded you for the first flight and then upgraded the 2 flights as a combo? Never tried this and will definitely try it next time. I also think this will only work via CS, as if you want to upgrade the other segment at the airport will not work.
Yes, that is correct. It HAS to be done via the call centre as the airport (let alone the on board staff) do not have the means to do this (let alone the authority).
Even the (very good) call centre agent had to get authorisation from someone ‘higher up the tree’. She however already knew it was possible but could not commit to a positive outcome before it was agreed. She called me back maybe 15-30 minutes later to confirm that it was agreed.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 9:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Yes, that is correct. It HAS to be done via the call centre as the airport (let alone the on board staff) do not have the means to do this (let alone the authority).
Even the (very good) call centre agent had to get authorisation from someone higher up the tree. She however already knew it was possible but could not commit to a positive outcome before it was agreed. She called me back maybe 15-30 minutes later to confirm that it was agreed.
I was wondering if you thought they agreed to your request because a) maybe you have a high status with EK, b) the fare class your original ticket was booked, c) some of A and B, or do you think it was strictly a function of getting a knowledgeable CS agent who was willing to go to bat for you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.