Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Need help with a specific booking YYZ to MLE

Need help with a specific booking YYZ to MLE

Old May 3, 21, 10:56 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 53
Mods please delete. Thanks

Mods please delete. I have created a more relevant post on the air canada forum instead. Thanks

Last edited by ibby; May 4, 21 at 7:41 pm Reason: Deleting thread
ibby is offline  
Old May 3, 21, 6:08 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: IAH
Programs: Hilton Diamond; UA Gold; Marriott Gold; Accor Gold;
Posts: 134
Hi, first good luck on the search.... I spent a year looking at flights... just about everyday for my June 2021 trip. I recently booked Emirates, two one -way J fare from JFK - MLE (via DXB with a 4 day stopover for 235K amex points, transferred to Skyward points. It is expensive but I am getting about 5 cents of value per point. I am on waitlist for first class, will cost another 108K amex points. Emirates does have lower surcharges now so that is a benefit.

My return is on TK from IST to IAH (direct).

Incidentally TK does fly direct from MLE to IST. I am on the July 1st flight (hopefully). The November flight gets in on the 18th (TK 730), looked via TK website.

I dont have any other info as I am only a United/Star Alliance guy and Amex points holder and not overly familiar with the Aeroplan site.
ibby likes this.
tex1721 is offline  
Old May 3, 21, 11:31 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Posts: 204
Alaskair is showing flights with Emirates. The price is 330,000 points + US 290 in Taxes and fees. Right now Alaskaair is selling points with a 60 % Bonus It works to about US $ 6000 if you buy the points. . You can reduce the cost if you get MBNA Canada Alaskair Credit Cards. C $ 99 Fee will get you 31000 Alaskair points after spending C$ 1000. If you get the cards, One for you and one for your spouse. It will reduce your cost by about US $ 1000. I hope this helps.
ibby likes this.
mgn2000 is offline  
Old May 4, 21, 3:12 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by tex1721 View Post
Hi, first good luck on the search.... I spent a year looking at flights... just about everyday for my June 2021 trip. I recently booked Emirates, two one -way J fare from JFK - MLE (via DXB with a 4 day stopover for 235K amex points, transferred to Skyward points. It is expensive but I am getting about 5 cents of value per point. I am on waitlist for first class, will cost another 108K amex points. Emirates does have lower surcharges now so that is a benefit.

My return is on TK from IST to IAH (direct).

Incidentally TK does fly direct from MLE to IST. I am on the July 1st flight (hopefully). The November flight gets in on the 18th (TK 730), looked via TK website.

I dont have any other info as I am only a United/Star Alliance guy and Amex points holder and not overly familiar with the Aeroplan site.
thanks for sharing your feedback!

I am seriously debating doing what you did… looks like the best routing I can find through aeroplan is with 2 undesirable stops. Might just bite the bullet and transfer MR to book Emirates. Looks like they have one seat left at 180k and the second seat at 235k return. Although the taxes are still showing at CAD $650 per person. Is that normal for Emirates? The star alliance booking I have now via IAD AUH MLE only cost $200 pp for taxes.
ibby is offline  
Old May 4, 21, 8:20 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: IAH
Programs: Hilton Diamond; UA Gold; Marriott Gold; Accor Gold;
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by ibby View Post
thanks for sharing your feedback!

I am seriously debating doing what you did… looks like the best routing I can find through aeroplan is with 2 undesirable stops. Might just bite the bullet and transfer MR to book Emirates. Looks like they have one seat left at 180k and the second seat at 235k return. Although the taxes are still showing at CAD $650 per person. Is that normal for Emirates? The star alliance booking I have now via IAD AUH MLE only cost $200 pp for taxes.
I paid $513 in taxes for my JFK-DXB-MLE route. (for 2 people) so the surcharges sound high.

JFK has the A380 so that might appeal to you if you went YYZ - JFK -DXB - MLE (could do a night in NYC). But this is also two stops, which you are trying to avoid.
ibby likes this.
tex1721 is offline  
Old May 4, 21, 8:51 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dubai
Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Posts: 1,999
Originally Posted by tex1721 View Post


JFK has the A380 so that might appeal to you if you went YYZ - JFK -DXB - MLE (could do a night in NYC). But this is also two stops, which you are trying to avoid.
A380 is returned to YYZ from May 1 and I would think will stay on there again.
ibby likes this.
yyzlhr is offline  
Old May 5, 21, 1:36 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YYZ
Programs: MR Plat
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by yyzlhr View Post
A380 is returned to YYZ from May 1 and I would think will stay on there again.
Do you know if they're going to change the EK242 schedule back to the original timings, afternoon out of YYZ instead of evenings?
Globex is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: