Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Purchase empty adjoining seats in Y

Old Mar 15, 21, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Silver, BA Blue, MH Blue

Just seen this...for the other Y travellers out there: 'new option to purchase empty adjoining seats'

Dubai, UAE, 01 March 2021 – Emirates’ Economy Class customers can now enjoy even more personal space and privacy onboard with the ability to purchase up to three empty adjoining seats on their flight.
These seats will be offered to all Economy Class customers holding a confirmed booking. Customers will not be able to pre-book empty seats, as these are subject to availability. Empty seats will only be offered for purchase at the airport check-in counter prior to flight departure, and costs range from AED 200 to AED 600 (US$ 55 to US$ 165) per empty seat, plus applicable taxes depending on flight sector.
Emirates has introduced this new seat product on the back of customer feedback, addressing the needs of a range of customers seeking extra privacy and space while still flying in Economy Class. This includes couples who wish to have the entire row to themselves (maximum of three seats in same row), parents travelling with in-lap infants, or those who simply want the added assurance of more space while travelling during pandemic times.

Curious about how this might affect seat-selection strategy if it is widely taken up - with no pre-booking so that seats do not appear blocked off when the seat map is still available.
Or whether you'd be stopped from spreading out to empty rows/seats if you hadn't paid for those seats of the same type, even if next to you. I get how the regular/exit row/preferred seat distinctions are enforceable, but not this, surely?
Old Mar 15, 21, 1:52 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
I really doubt they are going to prevent anyone from spreading across an empty row because they did not purchase extra seats. Now if someone tries to take an "extra" seat that you paid for, they probably have a receipt of some kind so that crew can enforce that or maybe it is noted in the manifest.
Old Mar 15, 21, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The point is - if Emirates sells this empty seat at airport check-in, then the flight will have a very light load. Hence, it makes no sense to purchase that extra seat, because the cabin will stay pretty empty anyway.
Old Mar 16, 21, 5:59 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
The point is - if Emirates sells this empty seat at airport check-in, then the flight will have a very light load. Hence, it makes no sense to purchase that extra seat, because the cabin will stay pretty empty anyway.
Exactly! This is just a PR exercise / or a way to make more people part with the money. I don't think it will be successful on either cont.
Old Mar 16, 21, 7:43 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
Exactly! This is just a PR exercise / or a way to make more people part with the money. I don't think it will be successful on either cont.
In saying that, I may be tempted as I seem to be one of these people that attract others that will come and sit in a spare seat if I start with two empty ones next to me
thijsseh likes this.
Old Mar 16, 21, 10:23 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Saltire74 View Post
In saying that, I may be tempted as I seem to be one of these people that attract others that will come and sit in a spare seat if I start with two empty ones next to me
You must look like you are good company.....
Saltire74 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 21, 10:57 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I would actively avoid you.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Mar 16, 21, 11:23 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Originally Posted by m3red View Post
I would actively avoid you.
That’s because you know better
Old Mar 17, 21, 4:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

God knows why...

jonzboy and m3red like this.
Old Mar 17, 21, 8:06 am
Moderator, Emirates

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
God knows why...

Cheeky git
jonzboy, DYKWIA and BadoRas like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: