Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2021

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2021

Old Jan 29, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I know a few people have really struggled to to get confirmed upgrades / awards, even when the F cabin is more or less empty. The upgrades end up clearing at boarding time, so you even end up missing out on the F lounge
they do this out of dxb in my experience - not an issue if platinum but If the flight is busy they release the seats at T-1 only. At outstations it’s usually at T3 when the check in is open.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:58 am

I have some saver redemptions in February that I am looking to reschedule to later in the year. I understand these flights will probably get cancelled due to the UK travel ban. In normal circumstances is there a 7 day cut off before the flight for me to cancel or reschedule?
Old Feb 1, 2021, 7:55 pm

Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2021, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
The miles required for MLE and COL should be the same. You can check using the mileage calculator on the EK website.

https://www.emirates.com/account/eng...alculator.aspx
Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:13 pm

Programs: OWE, *G
Is the First Class lounge open at DXB?
Old Feb 19, 2021, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew35K
Is the First Class lounge open at DXB?
no, just still the same, i was there yesterday
Andrew35K likes this.

Last edited by larzy1977; Feb 19, 2021 at 8:51 pm
Old Feb 21, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards
Hi, new to the forum!

I'm looking at booking for travel next Jan with EK (after a cancelled Dubai Holiday in Business Class this Jan got canned!) - i've seen the Skywards 40% Miles Discount offer currently on until the end of the month. I have 12000 miles already. Here's my question :

If I book a Dubai holiday through Emirates Holidays travelling Business both ways and pay in full for it in cash, am I then able to upgrade to First one way with miles (39000 miles according to EK site).

I would buy the additional 27000 miles required NOW at the 40% discount and use those plus my 12000 to upgrade to First - the miles would currently cost Ł365.47. So in effect I am upgrading for Ł365??? Does this make sense or am I not reading this correctly??

Any advice appreciated! Thanks

Baz
Old Feb 22, 2021, 1:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by baz2277
Hi, new to the forum!

I'm looking at booking for travel next Jan with EK (after a cancelled Dubai Holiday in Business Class this Jan got canned!) - i've seen the Skywards 40% Miles Discount offer currently on until the end of the month. I have 12000 miles already. Here's my question :

If I book a Dubai holiday through Emirates Holidays travelling Business both ways and pay in full for it in cash, am I then able to upgrade to First one way with miles (39000 miles according to EK site).

I would buy the additional 27000 miles required NOW at the 40% discount and use those plus my 12000 to upgrade to First - the miles would currently cost Ł365.47. So in effect I am upgrading for Ł365??? Does this make sense or am I not reading this correctly??

Any advice appreciated! Thanks

Baz
You'll need to check with Emirates Holidays that they don't book you into a Business Special fare. These are not upgradable.

If it's a Business Saver or better, then you can upgrade. However... there must be reward availability. You can check this a couple of ways :-

1. After you've booked, it will show there is upgrade availability in Manage my Booking
2. Before you book, do a dummy booking using "Classic Rewards". If F class shows as available, then this means that you can also upgrade.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:35 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
You'll need to check with Emirates Holidays that they don't book you into a Business Special fare. These are not upgradable.

If it's a Business Saver or better, then you can upgrade. However... there must be reward availability. You can check this a couple of ways :-

1. After you've booked, it will show there is upgrade availability in Manage my Booking
2. Before you book, do a dummy booking using "Classic Rewards". If F class shows as available, then this means that you can also upgrade.

on point 2 you need a first class saver reward to be available not any reward.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:02 am

Thanks for the quick replies - I think I was on a Business Saver fare last time (I upgraded from Economy to Business last year in cash).

When I do the dummy booking it does offer me the opportunity to upgrade with 39000 points (but I haven't got them yet!).

It's looking like it could be a very cheap way of upgrading if this is the case!! I'm not booking for a while yet, but wanted to get the facts first - I'm hoping EK will reinstate the A380 on BHX-DXB flights later in the year, and MAN-DXB will both be 380's (at the last time I looked it was an A380 for the early flight and a 777 for the later one). Do you think they'll revert back to this once things settle down (ie towards the end of the year)??

Thanks again for your help

Baz
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:35 am

Update: So I've bought the miles in the offer and now have enough. Speaking to EK on the phone today, it appears I can't book the upgrade until I've had the tickets sent. Also there is only 1 seat available for upgrade in 1st for each flight (but there is availability). SO, the next part...How soon after booking the initial holiday/flights can I sort the upgrade? I don't want to book and pay, wait for the tickets only to find that the only seat available has gone.

Has anyone had experience of doing this?? It seems I can't upgrade at the same phone call of booking the holiday - if it takes a few days for the ticket to be allocated, there' a chance I would lose the opportunity.

Also anyone got any predictions as to when the A380 will make a return to BHX - they already have one from MAN, but the later DXB-MAN flight (1430) is a 777 - I really wanted A380 both ways - this is for Jan 2022 - your crystal balls will be helpful!!
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:59 am

I have a question about lounge access.
I am holding a ticket for which the routing is JFK-DXB-MLE where JFK-DXB is in F and DXB-MLE in Y.
This is an award ticket and the only available award seats were in Y for the DXB-MLE leg, although the flight itself is a 3-class flight that does offer first class.

The transit time in DXB is quite long, roughly 18 hours.

Would I be able to use the first class lounge in DXB during my transit?
Basically I'm wondering if the first class lounge is accessible when one is flying first class into DXB then connecting in economy class.

Thank you!

Last edited by agjil; Mar 4, 2021 at 12:24 pm
Old Mar 4, 2021, 3:54 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by agjil
I have a question about lounge access.
I am holding a ticket for which the routing is JFK-DXB-MLE where JFK-DXB is in F and DXB-MLE in Y.
This is an award ticket and the only available award seats were in Y for the DXB-MLE leg, although the flight itself is a 3-class flight that does offer first class.

The transit time in DXB is quite long, roughly 18 hours.

Would I be able to use the first class lounge in DXB during my transit?
Basically I'm wondering if the first class lounge is accessible when one is flying first class into DXB then connecting in economy class.

Thank you!
No, you won't get any lounge if your next flight is in Y.

For 18 hours, you should seriously consider getting a hotel, irrespective of lounge access.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 5:18 pm

No, you won't get any lounge if your next flight is in Y.

For 18 hours, you should seriously consider getting a hotel, irrespective of lounge access.
Thanks for clarifying.
My flight arrives early in the morning and I connect to MLE at around 2 am.
Instead of spending the day in a hotel, I am considering touring the city during the day and coming back to the airport late at night and catch my connecting flight.
Is this doable given the COVID19 restrictions one needs to go through upon arriving in DXB?
Old Mar 12, 2021, 5:52 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Is the 35% extra on miles a actual good deal or do they usually run bigger deals then that? I know with hotels alot of time it's actually a bad deal so was wondering..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.