Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Worth upgrade to Business 'special' ?

Worth upgrade to Business 'special' ?

Old Nov 13, 20, 9:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 23
Worth upgrade to Business 'special' ?

Hi,

Have a flight LHR - DXB return in economy, £690. Upgrade to full business for the outbound is £1.8k which I am not interested in. For the return its possible to upgrade to Business 'special' for £577. Seems its just a normal seat in business, without all the added extras such as lounge access etc.

Is this upgrade worth it, bearing in mind I have never flown long haul in business, due to cost, but have always wanted to. Fortunately I am now in a position where an extra £600 is not really an issue, but is it worth doubling the ticket price? I've never seen a business seat so cheap and I've flown all around the world, so maybe I should take this opportunity for the experience?

Thanks.
aldino is offline  
Old Nov 14, 20, 12:34 am
  #2  
Ambassador, Emirates
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LGW / AMS / CPT
Programs: SA KL BA EK
Posts: 3,165
Originally Posted by aldino View Post
Hi,

Have a flight LHR - DXB return in economy, £690. Upgrade to full business for the outbound is £1.8k which I am not interested in. For the return its possible to upgrade to Business 'special' for £577. Seems its just a normal seat in business, without all the added extras such as lounge access etc.

Is this upgrade worth it, bearing in mind I have never flown long haul in business, due to cost, but have always wanted to. Fortunately I am now in a position where an extra £600 is not really an issue, but is it worth doubling the ticket price? I've never seen a business seat so cheap and I've flown all around the world, so maybe I should take this opportunity for the experience?

Thanks.
There may be many opinions on ‘what is it worth’, but to me this is a no brainer. Go for it! You get no chauffeur drive, no lounge access and no seat selection, but once on board there is no difference whatsoever with the most expensive business class seat. Currently LHR is served by 1 77W and 2 A380’s daily, if you have the 380 you even get the on board lounge (although that is currently ‘take away only, I believe). There is also a difference in seats between the two aircraft types.
But either way, the big risk is that you’ll be ‘sold’ on flying J in future. Go for it!
Metanoia, cmd320 and londonba2014 like this.
thijsseh is offline  
Old Nov 14, 20, 1:53 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Purple Lockdown Tier
Programs: Whatever status they gifted me for 2021 because I flew only 20k miles and had 17 nights
Posts: 823
Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
There may be many opinions on ‘what is it worth’, but to me this is a no brainer. Go for it! You get no chauffeur drive, no lounge access and no seat selection, but once on board there is no difference whatsoever with the most expensive business class seat. Currently LHR is served by 1 77W and 2 A380’s daily, if you have the 380 you even get the on board lounge (although that is currently ‘take away only, I believe). There is also a difference in seats between the two aircraft types.
But either way, the big risk is that you’ll be ‘sold’ on flying J in future. Go for it!
Agreed, the biggest risk is you enjoy it too much! I had a dream (nightmare?) recently, I was on an A380, and I was downstairs...

Hope you all are doing well, hope that we can do a "do" at the champagne bar in mid-2021 when we're all vaccinated.
thijsseh and BadoRas like this.
Metanoia is offline  
Old Nov 14, 20, 2:25 am
  #4  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 15,936
Go for it. Especially if it's on the A380.
cmd320 likes this.
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Nov 14, 20, 2:56 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Manchester/London, currently Tunisia
Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Plat
Posts: 631
I wouldn’t pay it for the 777 unless it is a very quiet flight in J. You could end up stuck in the middle seat.
Will08 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 20, 3:25 am
  #6  
Ambassador, Emirates
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LGW / AMS / CPT
Programs: SA KL BA EK
Posts: 3,165
Originally Posted by Metanoia View Post
........ recently, I was on an A380, and I was downstairs...

Hope you all are doing well, hope that we can do a "do" at the champagne bar in mid-2021 when we're all vaccinated.
Isn't that where the baggage goes?

By the way, I am planning to be at the champagne bar on 28/12 very early.
pokeable and Metanoia like this.
thijsseh is offline  
Old Nov 14, 20, 11:30 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 435
I’d probably go for it.... but, you’ve already paid £690 for ticket so assuming the return flight was around £300 (less APD leaving from DXB) you’re adding another £600 to that making it around £900 in total.

by my reckoning, and bearing in mind the increase in business class APD from LHR, had you purchased the “special” business price as a return it could have been over £2000 which isn’t particularly cheap.

having said all that, if you’ve got £600 to spend, the experience will obviously be far superior.
Hawes7701 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 20, 7:48 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BWI
Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 745

Am envious.
Doubt I will be seeing the interior of an EK J or F flight anytime soon due to CoVid.
Would definitely splurge if it is an A380. Everyone needs to be having champagne on an international flight at least once!
pokeable is offline  
Old Nov 14, 20, 8:29 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 10,978
Personally, I’d do it in a heartbeat. But it really comes down to how you value the £577.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Nov 19, 20, 4:48 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK
Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Posts: 1,407
For me the lounge/priority check in/security is an important aspect of the trip as is often the Chauffeur

I agree worth trying inA380 but not on the 777 which I try and avoid with Emirates
londonba2014 and Will08 like this.
amnicoll is offline  
Old Nov 20, 20, 12:43 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: AUH
Posts: 7,546
If it's the new 777 then J is not too bad as long as you avoid the middle seat.

Given that flights to the UK seem to be running pretty full right now, in my mind it's a worthwhile upgrade.
stargold is offline  
Old Nov 20, 20, 2:58 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK
Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Posts: 1,407
Originally Posted by stargold View Post
If it's the new 777 then J is not too bad as long as you avoid the middle seat.

Given that flights to the UK seem to be running pretty full right now, in my mind it's a worthwhile upgrade.
I have not as far as know been on the new 777 but if it is 2-3--2 then I am sorry but I will need serious convincing after all where ever you sit you will either have to climb over or be climbed over. At the minimum I would expect seating on the windows to be similar to Oman on their 787 that offer access to the aisle from the window seats
amnicoll is offline  
Old Nov 20, 20, 8:14 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 10,978
Originally Posted by amnicoll View Post
I have not as far as know been on the new 777 but if it is 2-3--2 then I am sorry but I will need serious convincing after all where ever you sit you will either have to climb over or be climbed over. At the minimum I would expect seating on the windows to be similar to Oman on their 787 that offer access to the aisle from the window seats
They're all still 2-3-2.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Nov 20, 20, 10:49 am
  #14  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 15,936
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
They're all still 2-3-2.
Apart from the ones that are 2-2-2

*I know these are not new... but there are a few 2-2-2 layouts on the B777LR.
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Nov 20, 20, 10:53 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 10,978
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Apart from the ones that are 2-2-2

*I know these are not new... but there are a few 2-2-2 layouts on the B777LR.
Right, I forget about the LRs because there's so few of them.
cmd320 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: