Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Old Dec 4, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Ive flown EK to the US several times with an Antigen test. There are a few originating countries where Dubai transit requires PCR but Indonesia is not one. That said, I’d confirm that Indonesian airports don’t require PCR. I know Iraq isn’t in the same league, but that’s an example where you need PCR just to enter the airport, but once you’re in you can use antigen with your airline. But EK won’t be a problem, based on both their rules and past precedent.
great to hear your experience, thank you.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:24 pm

If flying SFO-FRA-DXB do I need a PCR test within 72 hours of departure from my FRA-DXB LH flight or is within 72 hours of the SFO-FRA UA flight enough?

The UA Travel Documentation Center seems to want a test result within 72 hours of departure from the FRA-DXB flight, which means about a day less to get test results in SFO.

Is it 72 hours from FRA-DXB or from when starting the whole journey? EK website is not very clear.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 2:46 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by abcx
Is it 72 hours from FRA-DXB or from when starting the whole journey? EK website is not very clear.
I learned this the hard way, it is 72 hours from your FRA-DXB flight.
It must be within 72 hours of your last direct flight to DXB.

I had booked a colleague on QR, LHR-DOH-DXB and they were refused boarding at the airport because the pcr would be outside the 72 hours for the DOH-DXB departure.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
I learned this the hard way, it is 72 hours from your FRA-DXB flight.
It must be within 72 hours of your last direct flight to DXB.

I had booked a colleague on QR, LHR-DOH-DXB and they were refused boarding at the airport because the pcr would be outside the 72 hours for the DOH-DXB departure.
Ah, darn. As I feared. Such a pain.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 4:28 pm

Piggy Backing on this.

If you are a Canadian but have the French Covid Vaccine Certificate, you would be exempt from the PCR test result for FRA - DXB correct?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 2:09 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by emustyle
Piggy Backing on this.

If you are a Canadian but have the French Covid Vaccine Certificate, you would be exempt from the PCR test result for FRA - DXB correct?
Correct. So long as the vax was administered in France

​​​​​​

Rules for travel from France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland

Effective 31 October 2021 and until further notice, all passengers travelling to Dubai from France, Germany, Spain, or Switzerland will be accepted for travel if they meet the following conditions:
  • Present a negative COVID‑19 RT‑PCR test certificate for a test taken no more than 72 hours before departure
or
  • Present a vaccination certificate for vaccination administered in France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland or the United Arab Emirates
The vaccination certificate(s) must reflect that the passenger has completed the required doses of a vaccine approved by the WHO and accepted by France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland or the United Arab Emirates.
emustyle likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: EY
Anyone travel from India to Canada via Emirates/Dubai recently? When booking online it won't let you book straight through with a few hours transit in Dubai, presumably due to the Canadian rule that you need a test outside India, and Dubai presumably does not have a facility to provide a pcr test in time to allow transit, unlike Etihad with its six hour transit time. I don't mind stopping over one day in Dubai as a result. Is the PCR test taken on arrival in Dubai sufficient for presenting the next day to board the flight to Toronto? Or do we need to take another test at a facility in Dubai? Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by xobile
Anyone travel from India to Canada via Emirates/Dubai recently? When booking online it won't let you book straight through with a few hours transit in Dubai, presumably due to the Canadian rule that you need a test outside India, and Dubai presumably does not have a facility to provide a pcr test in time to allow transit, unlike Etihad with its six hour transit time. I don't mind stopping over one day in Dubai as a result. Is the PCR test taken on arrival in Dubai sufficient for presenting the next day to board the flight to Toronto? Or do we need to take another test at a facility in Dubai? Thanks.
I would call EK and clarify with the booking, it could be it wont allow a transit for a few hours, in which case you probably need to do a multi trip ie India to DXB, DXB to Canada. I would say be aware if you do this, you will need to collect baggae at DXB and re-check in so unless its a day's transit it may not be worth the hassle. If its less then 6 hours, you can try seeing if they will let you leave and come back in.

In regards to arrival test, yes, it can be used for onwards travel as long as its valid in time (in your case yes as you fly the next day). Its a PCR test, download the Purehealth app and it lets you generate the certificate for a negative test, the QR code linked website did not work well for me when I tried to get a certificate for checkin. They say results are in 6-8 hours, at present there is also a stand closer to the immigration counter for PCR testing for Expo where results will be within 4 hours, just be aware its supposed to be for the unvacinated as if you are vacinated you dont need a PCR test.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 10:15 pm

Seems for unknown reasons emirates are no longer allowing antigen tests for flights to the US anymore. Makes no sense as latest CDC policy still allows for antigen tests and Emirates is requiring PCR tests done within a day (downright impossible in many corners of the world). Anyone managed to get aboard a emirates flight to the US these few days with just an antigen test?

Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by MiG123
Seems for unknown reasons emirates are no longer allowing antigen tests for flights to the US anymore. Makes no sense as latest CDC policy still allows for antigen tests and Emirates is requiring PCR tests done within a day (downright impossible in many corners of the world). Anyone managed to get aboard a emirates flight to the US these few days with just an antigen test?

Website has been updated again. Antigen accepted for US-bound travelers connecting in DXB or on MXP/ATH nonstops. PCR required for US-bound travelers originating in DXB.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Website has been updated again. Antigen accepted for US-bound travelers connecting in DXB or on MXP/ATH nonstops. PCR required for US-bound travelers originating in DXB.
thanks, it makes more sense now. Not sure what was driving the self concocted 1 day PCR requirement in the first place, which still remain in force for direct departures out of Dxb
jamienbaker likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
This is what Emirates Jakarta sent me when I had asked last Friday 10 Dec about requirements. I assume this is the guideline that agents have re: travel to the USA. No issue showing Antigen to board.

Old Dec 14, 2021, 6:53 am

usa test requirements

i got some conflicting info - got this email and it says antigen not accepted and i confirmed at that time with the emirates.com website but a few hours later they updated website to the following

which states antigen is accepted if transiting through dubai. i called emirates and the person that answered read it together with me and tried to say only if connecting in athens or milo an but i pointed our “or transiting through dubai”. then she said says “rapid testing not valid if in transit to dubai” but i pointed out it says in line before just means needs to be done at point of departure eg can’t do it on the plane or in dubai. anyone have any comments eg denied boarding because i took some emed binaxnow tests with me before i left for the maldives and resort charges $200 per person for pcr which is a waste if not necessary
bdubs7 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by xrayflyer
i got some conflicting info - got this email and it says antigen not accepted and i confirmed at that time with the emirates.com website but a few hours later they updated website to the following

which states antigen is accepted if transiting through dubai. i called emirates and the person that answered read it together with me and tried to say only if connecting in athens or milo an but i pointed our “or transiting through dubai”. then she said says “rapid testing not valid if in transit to dubai” but i pointed out it says in line before just means needs to be done at point of departure eg can’t do it on the plane or in dubai. anyone have any comments eg denied boarding because i took some emed binaxnow tests with me before i left for the maldives and resort charges $200 per person for pcr which is a waste if not necessary
I am in the same situation as you, and have the same question.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:03 am

How strictly is Emirates enforcing the RT-PCR vs standard PCR testing requirement on DXB bound flights (from USA)? We missed the note that a RT-PCR is required and got PCR tests and are now scrambling to find options for RT-PCR in NYC (which seems like everything is booked up).

EDIT: It's worth noting that most places do RT-PCR at this point, but sometimes it's not included in the results, which is what I'm worried about. We'll be getting our results fairly last second due to overstrained testing facilities in NYC.

Last edited by dangeruss; Dec 22, 2021 at 1:09 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.