Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Old Oct 26, 2020, 9:57 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by amiras
Costco is selling tests online for $120. They overnight them to you, you spit in a cup, send the sample back and should get your results in 24-72 hours. Just giving you an option I saw online
The saliva test is not a proper PCR test, so not acceptable for most destinations.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, Marriott Platinum... Previously AC*SE100K, Star Alliance Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador
Feeling a little anxious about this proof of insurance thing - is there any official website that states that this is required?
Old Oct 26, 2020, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by cager
Feeling a little anxious about this proof of insurance thing - is there any official website that states that this is required?
Since DXB reopened I've only been asked on paper questionnaire at European airport at EK check in to tick box if I had health insurance. No one verbally asked me at any check in nor at DXB on arrival, nor did they give me the impression that they ever would. Had they asked me I would have told them my virtual credit card includes the travel insurance.. khalas.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
Since DXB reopened I've only been asked on paper questionnaire at European airport at EK check in to tick box if I had health insurance. No one verbally asked me at any check in nor at DXB on arrival, nor did they give me the impression that they ever would. Had they asked me I would have told them my virtual credit card includes the travel insurance.. khalas.
can confirm, nobody really cares. Its a "Tick the box" thing
Old Oct 26, 2020, 12:53 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by cager
Personally I think it is a bit risky undertaking any international travel without having at least some sort of medical insurance. You can also get insurance that has COVID-19 coverage.

For a nominal fee, you could be saving hundreds of thousands in medical bills if something were to go wrong, not only catching Covid and having to be hospitalised. RTCs, severe food poisoning, unknown medical conditions just to name a few.

If you took ill on a flight and the aircraft had to divert to a third country you would probably be expected to pay those bills.

Yes, the majority of passengers globally do travel without incident and many without travel insurance but it only takes one thing for it all to go wrong.

An ex colleague of mine many years ago was travelling for business and mid flight collapsed and started fitting. He was only a young man, very fit and led a healthy lifestyle. The plane diverted to Istanbul and met by paramedics on the tarmac. Took him to hospital where he had a whole raft of tests and treatment. Eventual bill was in excess of 50,000. Unfortunately they diagnosed a malignant brain tumour. Thankfully he was working at the time and covered by our employers insurance but he was the type of person (and Im not slighting him in any way) that would go on a personal trip and not bother getting insurance because he was young, fit and healthy. You never know what life is going to throw at you. Be prepared as best you can.

Some people are more risk averse than others but I would urge you to think about getting some travel insurance and that will at least take the worry away about being asked at check in.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 2:41 pm

I just read.. announced today Monday that its not mandatory for tourists travelling from UK or Germany to DXB to have covid tests before departure "who have the option to have a covid 19 PCR test on arrival in DXB". I'm not exactly sure if that's a free or pay for test in arrival in DXB and wishful thinking maybe a free test would include a certificate so one can make quick trip and not have to go to hospital and spend time and money. In any case when I fly ex Germany the test there is free, quick result AND one receives a certificate. Anyhow step in right direction, obviously EK are watching the situation and hopefully will add to those 2 countries.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
I just read.. announced today Monday that its not mandatory for tourists travelling from UK or Germany to DXB to have covid tests before departure "who have the option to have a covid 19 PCR test on arrival in DXB". I'm not exactly sure if that's a free or pay for test in arrival in DXB and wishful thinking maybe a free test would include a certificate so one can make quick trip and not have to go to hospital and spend time and money. In any case when I fly ex Germany the test there is free, quick result AND one receives a certificate. Anyhow step in right direction, obviously EK are watching the situation and hopefully will add to those 2 countries.
Was just about to post about this myself, seems positive UK / DE allowed to test on site, UK is going through a second wave but I guess it sees them as profitable markets. But who knows, UAE has never really made sense with its decisions
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by suley
Was just about to post about this myself, seems positive UK / DE allowed to test on site, UK is going through a second wave but I guess it sees them as profitable markets. But who knows, UAE has never really made sense with its decisions
As you say, they are both profitable markets and they need desperately to up the vital pax occupancy factor which right now is very low.,both to get tourists/business people into Dubai/UAE and also to somehow get the EK network back to how it was.
Most of the major decisions with EK and indeed UAE are well thought out, very often by advisory companies in the west. Usually they are successful but of course nothing foolproof.
May not seem as sense to us, but there would have been a careful study about this.
iFlyMoreThanYou likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
the Maldives doesnt offically accept at home tests so you are taking a huge risk there.
I can't find any specifications on the saliva test for MLE. I checked TIMATIC and the official government site and the only requirement is a negative test with the following:

On the other hand, if the passenger makes a transit during the journey, the initial PCR test will be valid if the transit time does not exceed 24 hours. Hence, if a passenger makes a transit exceeding 24 hours, the passenger must repeat the PCR test, within 96 hours prior to embarkation at the port of transit.
The PCR test document containing the test result should state the name of the passenger (name as in passport), name and address of the testing laboratory, type of test stated as PCR test, date of sampling and test result.
Please do you due diligence but I don't think it should be a problem. Also, at least in VA, tests are available at some CVS and Walgreens.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75
Originally Posted by thijsseh
The saliva test is not a proper PCR test, so not acceptable for most destinations.
Maybe, but my experience with all the airline employees I interacted at airports is that they want to see PCR and Negative on a piece of paper.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 10:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Saltire74
Personally I think it is a bit risky undertaking any international travel without having at least some sort of medical insurance. You can also get insurance that has COVID-19 coverage.

For a nominal fee, you could be saving hundreds of thousands in medical bills if something were to go wrong, not only catching Covid and having to be hospitalised. RTCs, severe food poisoning, unknown medical conditions just to name a few.

If you took ill on a flight and the aircraft had to divert to a third country you would probably be expected to pay those bills.

Yes, the majority of passengers globally do travel without incident and many without travel insurance but it only takes one thing for it all to go wrong.

An ex colleague of mine many years ago was travelling for business and mid flight collapsed and started fitting. He was only a young man, very fit and led a healthy lifestyle. The plane diverted to Istanbul and met by paramedics on the tarmac. Took him to hospital where he had a whole raft of tests and treatment. Eventual bill was in excess of 50,000. Unfortunately they diagnosed a malignant brain tumour. Thankfully he was working at the time and covered by our employers insurance but he was the type of person (and Im not slighting him in any way) that would go on a personal trip and not bother getting insurance because he was young, fit and healthy. You never know what life is going to throw at you. Be prepared as best you can.

Some people are more risk averse than others but I would urge you to think about getting some travel insurance and that will at least take the worry away about being asked at check in.
Probability theory would tell you you're better off financially not taking out travel insurance
Old Oct 27, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
Probability theory would tell you you're better off financially not taking out travel insurance
yes, but probability theory wont factor in the cost of said insurance. Allianz have just given me a quote for one months travel, for three destinations at AED56. The one place travel insurance doesnt make sense is the US.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican
yes, but probability theory wont factor in the cost of said insurance. Allianz have just given me a quote for one months travel, for three destinations at AED56. The one place travel insurance doesnt make sense is the US.
It does through the expected value. The expected value of your medical bills is lower than the rate you pay (56AED) and therefore you're better off not taking it.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 11:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Don't forget, you get Covid19 insurance with Emirates anyway, so don't pay extra to get that included.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...ovid-19-cover/
Old Oct 27, 2020, 11:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican
Surely the US is the one place that insurance is a must? Or am I mis-understanding?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.