FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Cabin Baggage Experience (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/2018336-cabin-baggage-experience.html)

Flywiz May 24, 2020 2:26 pm

Cabin Baggage Experience

I Would like to know business class cabin baggage experience on the first ORD flight that departed Dubai on 23rd May.

Did EK allow roller bag in the cabin? Or
Did they check-in the roller bag (in addition to the 2 bag allowance)? Or
Did they outright refuse to carry a roller bag unless extra bag fees were paid?

if anyone who took this flight reads this, I’d be grateful for any feedback since I’m taking this flight next Saturday. Thank you in advance

DYKWIA May 24, 2020 3:00 pm

See here :-

https://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle...gers-1.1022729

No cabin bags other than laptop bag / handbag / briefcase.

AlwaysOnTheRoad May 24, 2020 3:19 pm

I have an upcoming flight and travel with a small backpack that has my laptop, tablet, medicines, and headphones. Will I be able to take on board?

Flywiz May 24, 2020 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 32400752)
See here :-

https://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle...gers-1.1022729

No cabin bags other than laptop bag / handbag / briefcase.

Thanks for this, but I’m trying to find out what will happen if I turned up at check in with a roller cabin bag?
Will EK check it in for me (in addition to my allowance of 2 check in bags), or will they ask for payment for extra bag?

amnicoll May 25, 2020 4:48 am

An odd request lets say the flight was full that would be 42 passengers. I wonder just how many of those 42 would be users of this forum and then of them how many would have been attracted by the subject header to click open and then of them how many of those would have had or noticed if a roller bag was allowed. of course there is no guarantee that a week later the rules may be interpreted in the same way if discretion was exercised or was not exercised

There are clear guidelines as to the size of bags allowed as cabin baggage and what you can take as hold luggage so please assume Emirates will charge you for any luggage in excess of the rules and if they do not then count yourself lucky

Flywiz May 25, 2020 2:35 pm

You are right. It was a long shot anyway.
Btw, my reason for asking: neither my ticket nor my booking on MMB mentions this new policy. Both list cabin baggage allowance as 2x7kg in business class.

iFlyMoreThanYou May 25, 2020 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Flywiz (Post 32403058)
You are right. It was a long shot anyway.
Btw, my reason for asking: neither my ticket nor my booking on MMB mentions this new policy. Both list cabin baggage allowance as 2x7kg in business class.

simple case of website not being updated unfortunately. Ridiculous policy.

Flywiz May 26, 2020 11:23 am

So quite conceivable that a pax may follow guidance on ticket and not be aware of new policy. If a business class with status passenger turns up at check in with 2x7kg, how would EK handle? I’m flying 30th - will ask

suley May 26, 2020 3:15 pm

I have a feeling hand luggage will be checked in unless its a laptop or similar.

amnicoll May 27, 2020 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Flywiz (Post 32405060)
So quite conceivable that a pax may follow guidance on ticket and not be aware of new policy. If a business class with status passenger turns up at check in with 2x7kg, how would EK handle? I’m flying 30th - will ask

I would imagine that unless they had taken positive action to inform passenger of change beforehand then they would be on dodgy ground trying to enforce - I would not dream of going to the website to see if they have changed any rules since booking unless so directed

cargueiro May 27, 2020 8:40 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll (Post 32406803)
I would imagine that unless they had taken positive action to inform passenger of change beforehand then they would be on dodgy ground trying to enforce - I would not dream of going to the website to see if they have changed any rules since booking unless so directed

I imagine not.

IATA advice to airlines is that airports may impose restrictions on cabin baggage to aid facilitation. Every airport will have differing needs from those that will ignore social distancing (unfortunately a likelihood at certain airports), to those that will have capacity restrictions thus slowing passenger throughput and thus a need to consider restricting cabin baggage to those that can manage on current flight schedules and passenger numbers.

Much like dangerous goods, it is the passenger's responsibility to check if there are any local restictions that may apply to their journey.

Just because EK allows passengers to transport one lighter on their person, it is not EK's responsibility when a passenger is denied taking a lighter onboard if local restrictions prohibit this.

Given each state's ever changing policies
re COVID-19 and the lack of unified policy among states, it is not realistic, in my opinion, to expect EK to maintain its website 100% up to date on every point such as this.

https://www.iata.org/en/programs/safety/cabin-safety/

Flywiz May 29, 2020 9:30 pm

Just checked in for my DXB-ORD flight in business. EK will indeed take in cabin bags and check them in for free even if over check-in baggage allowance.

DYKWIA May 30, 2020 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Flywiz (Post 32414867)
Just checked in for my DXB-ORD flight in business. EK will indeed take in cabin bags and check them in for free even if over check-in baggage allowance.

Thanks for reporting back.

ekgoldmember May 30, 2020 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Flywiz (Post 32414867)

how was the inflight service ? Limited food and drinks?

Flywiz May 30, 2020 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by ekgoldmember (Post 32415394)
how was the inflight service ? Limited food and drinks?

We had upgraded to first. Served welcome Dom at DXB. Limited menu but still dining on demand. No open foods. Appetizer and main course together on the same tray. All with a cover. Breads individually wrapped in plastic and no bread basket. For in between meals, pre-packed snack boxes available on request.

Wine offering seemed unchanged. No cocktails. Limited selection of spirits. No nuts with drinks. Best they could do was a bag of Lays.

Crew in PPE with eye shield and mask which stayed on entire duration of flight 14 hours. No crew rotation or rest - we saw the same crew all the time. First was 7/8 occupied so crew were quite busy.

Only one lavatory for pax. The other one nearer the cockpit exclusive for pilots and crew. Must say the pax lav was cleaned after each use. Like I said, crew were busy.

Most pax in first removed their masks once on board. Crew kept their PPE on all the time.

Under the circumstances it was an easy flight. No complaints