Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK changes surcharges on some routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2020, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,
Sorry if that is known news, i wasn't able to find this info by quick scan in this forum.

Looks like EK recently changed YQ surcharge, at least on routes from Europe to Asia (maybe other routes as well). They used to be around 700-800 EUR for premium cabins, now I see they are around 300 for round trip. At the same time fares themselves jumped around 15-20%. I guess for majority of public net result is more or less the same, but it might be good news for award redemption.

Edit: I actually was thinking what triggered such a change and the only three things I could come up with are:
1. There is some tax advantage depending on what part of revenue it is
2. Emirates feels the urge to improve Skywards, whether because they see it as possible competitive advantage to get out of crisis faster or because competitors are doing it (think QR - not that it is great anyhow but I did notice they started to put more thinking into how to make it remotely attractive).
3. They decided to clear some liabilities while earning at least something on capacity that otherwise wouldn't earn anything. Convincing people to do outright redemption with such a level of extra fees was a tough job. And on upgrades you don't earn anything extra. So lowering surcharges is not such a bad way to stimulate extra buck while improving the loads.

Second point, especially if I consider the competitive advantage reason, doesn't sound to crazy to me - although my logic my be flowed of course. I think first few months after flying resumes will be overwhelmingly driven by leisure travel vs business travel, and in uncertain times people are even more likely to decide based on price, so you need to give them some more reason to pick you. But maybe it some kind of combination of 2 and 3.
Dambus likes this.

Last edited by maxvor; May 22, 2020 at 2:12 pm
Old May 21, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Great news for redemptions!

Looks like DUB-DXB is less that €200 cash component on a Biz/First round trip award.
Old May 22, 2020, 3:12 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dambus
Great news for redemptions!

Looks like DUB-DXB is less that €200 cash component on a Biz/First round trip award.
Just had a quick look at this, €179 is really low for the DUB-DXB-DUB charges, as i have previously seen them closer to 700-800 which always put me off spending miles for a straight redemption
Old May 22, 2020, 2:35 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
Just had a quick look at this, €179 is really low for the DUB-DXB-DUB charges, as i have previously seen them closer to 700-800 which always put me off spending miles for a straight redemption
Very few saver awards available from what I can see. AMS-DXB used to be really good for savers, but nothing much going.
Old May 22, 2020, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Very few saver awards available from what I can see. AMS-DXB used to be really good for savers, but nothing much going.
Not sure if I'm unlucky but most of my usual routes had also all cheapest fare bucket totally wiped out recently, and I can imagine there is some sort of algorithm that takes it into account when deciding what award space to open.
Old May 22, 2020, 3:28 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by maxvor
Not sure if I'm unlucky but most of my usual routes had also all cheapest fare bucket totally wiped out recently, and I can imagine there is some sort of algorithm that takes it into account when deciding what award space to open.
I looked at a few places, and theres hardly any savers. I guess this is because EK know they'll be cancelling a lot of the currently bookable flights.
Old May 22, 2020, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Originally Posted by maxvor
Availability isn't wiped out, but there are simply no fares filed for O/QLT class, which makes the website show savers are not available.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:15 pm

I am seeing that the surcharge is actually more now ex-HKG vs. ex-JFK. That was a shock
Old May 26, 2020, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by mileshound
I am seeing that the surcharge is actually more now ex-HKG vs. ex-JFK. That was a shock
Up to about a couple of years ago there was no YQ allowed to be charged departing HKG. However the law changed in HK now allowing YQ, so looks as if EK are having a system wide revision of this.
​​
Old May 26, 2020, 11:56 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Is there an easy way to find YQ’s apart from doing dummy bookings? EF does not give them in their fare information.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Is there an easy way to find YQ’s apart from doing dummy bookings? EF does not give them in their fare information.
Easiest is to use ITA Matrix
thijsseh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.