Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Old A350 order, EK kicking themselves

Old A350 order, EK kicking themselves

Old May 14, 20, 5:31 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Shetland, uk
Programs: Skywards silver
Posts: 218
Old A350 order, EK kicking themselves

Obviously nobody could have predicted Covid19 and the change to aviation, but I bet right now Ek are kicking themselves that they cancelled the original 2007 A350 order they had! Would have been a perfect aircraft for EK To have us in the fleet right now.

Last edited by Bouncingsouls; May 15, 20 at 2:50 am
Bouncingsouls is offline  
Old May 15, 20, 4:30 am
  #2  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 15,070
Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls View Post
Obviously nobody could have predicted Covid19 and the change to aviation, but I bet right now Ek are kicking themselves that they cancelled the original 2007 A350 order they had! Would have been a perfect aircraft for EK To have us in the fleet right now.
I bet that EK could fast-track the current A350 order if they really wanted to. A lot of airlines would be perfectly happy to defer their deliveries for a few years
DYKWIA is offline  
Old May 15, 20, 5:40 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 69
if there is no flight whose care use a350 to lower their cost, also one of reason for emirates success is they have only two type aircraft, if they add one more type in this hard period, actually is higher their cost right now.
Ashok Khanna and MSPeconomist like this.
sealsgod is offline  
Old May 15, 20, 6:49 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Shetland, uk
Programs: Skywards silver
Posts: 218
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I bet that EK could fast-track the current A350 order if they really wanted to. A lot of airlines would be perfectly happy to defer their deliveries for a few years
yes I suppose thatís very true. I wonder how fast they could get new business seats in development. Hmmm. Haha
Bouncingsouls is offline  
Old May 15, 20, 10:06 am
  #5  
Ambassador, Emirates
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LGW / AMS / CPT
Programs: SA KL BA EK
Posts: 2,873
Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls View Post
Obviously nobody could have predicted Covid19 and the change to aviation, but I bet right now Ek are kicking themselves that they cancelled the original 2007 A350 order they had! Would have been a perfect aircraft for EK To have us in the fleet right now.
I think that for the next year (or two or more), EK will have plenty of spare capacity and will be happy that there are not going to be scores of A350's arriving at their doorstep. Sure, they might be cheaper to operate, but to have a 77W standing idle at a cost of $$$$ would probably not make that much sense. (by the way, I am not an 'airline economis, so I may be completely wrong)
MSPeconomist likes this.
thijsseh is offline  
Old May 15, 20, 1:01 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: Skywards
Posts: 45
I wonder with enforced social distancing on planes, is a partially full 777 more profitable (less of a lossmaker) than a partially full A380?

Which is more economical per square foot?
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Ashok Khanna is offline  
Old May 15, 20, 1:31 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by Ashok Khanna View Post
I wonder with enforced social distancing on planes, is a partially full 777 more profitable (less of a lossmaker) than a partially full A380?

Which is more economical per square foot?
I was thinking the same, while 777 is less of a loss maker, a A380 two class will have a larger load capacity, would it not be more cost effective assuming both are loaded to maximum possible with social distancing in play
suley is online now  
Old May 15, 20, 4:19 pm
  #8  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 15,070
Originally Posted by suley View Post
I was thinking the same, while 777 is less of a loss maker, a A380 two class will have a larger load capacity, would it not be more cost effective assuming both are loaded to maximum possible with social distancing in play
Cargo on the 777 is a huge advantage.
DYKWIA is offline  
Old May 15, 20, 8:29 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: EK1 ML5A ;-)
Programs: EK iO
Posts: 453
Originally Posted by suley View Post
I was thinking the same, while 777 is less of a loss maker, a A380 two class will have a larger load capacity, would it not be more cost effective assuming both are loaded to maximum possible with social distancing in play
A full plane doesn't imply a profitable plane
iFlyMoreThanYou is online now  
Old May 15, 20, 10:52 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 670
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou View Post
A full plane doesn't imply a profitable plane
Absolutely.... Cargo (which doesnt complain), high yield pax, and mail are all factors.
ElJudioErrante is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: