Will covid-19 kill some benefits

Old Apr 28, 20, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards silver
Will covid-19 kill some benefits

Will covid-19 finally see emirates kill chauffeur drive off? To safe cash?
what other cost cutting could we see? After this pandemic.
airlines will need to try and claw back cash somehow.
Old Apr 28, 20, 2:41 am

Programs: EK iO
O class is rumoured to lose chauffeur drive for a couple of years now but with H class introduced I dont see this happening anytime soon.

I would rather expect lounges to be closed to save cost, for example the lounge at C may be closed keeping the one at B open.
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old Apr 28, 20, 3:20 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I hope not the chauffeur is a a unique benefit and certainly is influential in my decision making and when catching the early morning flight out of Manchester is critical.

I wonder how many loyal customers Etihad lost as they got rid of of the chauffeur and cut back on service - I know anecdotally of quite a few from conversations on forums and I went from loyal gold status using them for my three long haul J class leisure trips a year to an ex customer in the blink of an eye . I am not sure about the shutting of lounges one only has to compare the Emirates lounge or the old Etihad lounge (which was probably the best non hub lounge I have ever experienced) at Manchester with the awful "commercial" lounges at the airport

One of the best routes to regaining profitability is to strive for quality and not race to the bottom
mjmal51 and KillaPowa like this.
Old Apr 29, 20, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
EK surely know that Chauffeur Drive is pretty critical to their J product remaining competitive, that and the number of EK outstation lounges are what ultimately distinguishes EK from other carriers when the rest of EK's J product is absolutely slipping behind. Combined with the fact that there'll be more EK 777s (poor J seat) and less A380s (better J seat) flying for the foreseeable future, I don't think it's the time to cut Chauffeur Drive. Certainly from a UK perspective, EK would probably be surrendering a large numbers of passengers to QR or EY if they cut Chauffeur Drive.
Old Apr 30, 20, 3:35 am

To be honest either the loss of chauffeur or the Emirates 777 would have me looking elsewhere
Old Apr 30, 20, 4:13 am

for the chauffeur drive I dont think will back to normal very soon as most of them are outsource to other company, also for the wifi service will be cut for a longer time. for the lounge I think it will be not a big impact such as other two, even will have a upgrade to first class lounge in dubai same as those days before emirates cut all the flight. but I think the most important benefits for starting from gold status will be the priority baggage as this can be an hour different if you fly with a380 or go to Africa airport, when I still the blue status I have wait 3 hours for my bag in ethiopia with a full passenger 777
Old May 1, 20, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
EK surely know that Chauffeur Drive is pretty critical to their J product remaining competitive, that and the number of EK outstation lounges are what ultimately distinguishes EK from other carriers when the rest of EK's J product is absolutely slipping behind. Combined with the fact that there'll be more EK 777s (poor J seat) and less A380s (better J seat) flying for the foreseeable future, I don't think it's the time to cut Chauffeur Drive. Certainly from a UK perspective, EK would probably be surrendering a large numbers of passengers to QR or EY if they cut Chauffeur Drive.
agree with outstation lounges, would be a bad move if they cut any of them. Was it EY that sold off outstation lounges a few years back?

Will the introduction of premium economy be on hold for the foreseeable too?
Old May 1, 20, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amnicoll View Post
To be honest either the loss of chauffeur or the Emirates 777 would have me looking elsewhere
when travel reopens if emirates are using 777 for an extended period because demand isnít there to fill the 380, might be my time to give Qatarís A350 a try, been looking for an excuse to try their J class and have never gotten around to it.
Old May 1, 20, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls View Post
agree with outstation lounges, would be a bad move if they cut any of them. Was it EY that sold off outstation lounges a few years back?

Will the introduction of premium economy be on hold for the foreseeable too?
premium economy is indeed on hold
Old May 1, 20, 8:57 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
might be my time to give Qatarís A350 a try, been looking for an excuse to try their J class and have never gotten around to it.
Agree. Washington Dulles had the 777 Q Suites prior to CoVid; will probably give them a whirl next flight to the region.
Old May 1, 20, 6:57 pm

Was it EY that sold off outstation lounges a few years back?
They handed operation of them to a sub-contractor (one of the main lounge operators IIRC) but I think this might have been reversed again, at least in some locations.
Old May 2, 20, 2:22 am

Programs: Emirates Skyward Silver, SPG Gold , IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou View Post
premium economy is indeed on hold
What a shame, understandably its not a great time to re configure planes with a new class however it could help for those who cant look to J anymore once this is all over. Wasn't an a380 this year meant to be fitted with it?
Old May 2, 20, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by xavzz View Post
What a shame, understandably its not a great time to re configure planes with a new class however it could help for those who cant look to J anymore once this is all over. Wasn't an a380 this year meant to be fitted with it?
Yes. And the pricing was already done for the PE, everything was in place basically.

I wouldnt be so sad, you wont get upgrade from Y to J anymore if there is PE!

PE is a terrible idea anyway and will fail, just like it has with other airlines. I suspect ek may use this situation as a scapegoat and cancel PE altogether
thijsseh likes this.
Old May 2, 20, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
They handed operation of them to a sub-contractor (one of the main lounge operators IIRC) but I think this might have been reversed again, at least in some locations.
yes it was etihad who got rid of them as they changed from a policy of excellence to minimum cost. the Etihad lounge in Manchester was probably by far the best non hub airport lounge I have ever had the experience of using the staff there were exceptional and really went out of their way to look after their customers. I could list examples of where they exceeded but sadly it would only be reminiscence and not recommendation
Old May 2, 20, 9:16 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou View Post
Yes. And the pricing was already done for the PE, everything was in place basically.

I wouldnt be so sad, you wont get upgrade from Y to J anymore if there is PE!

PE is a terrible idea anyway and will fail, just like it has with other airlines. I suspect ek may use this situation as a scapegoat and cancel PE altogether
I really want to disagree with this after having a few very decent flights on BR PE, however the PE cabin on most occasions was pretty empty (Pre Covid) which is in line with your theory.

I am not sure how the numbers would work for EK either. For example UK-DXB-BKK I would normally pay around £1200 for a Y Flex+ with EK yet I can fly direct with BR in PE for the same price, if not slightly cheaper. If EK were to prolong flights ex UK with 777s rather than a380s then I think you would have to be pretty crazy to pay £2000+ to fly J on EK (for the route previously mentioned) where you could have a very similar experience for nearly half the price on BR PE.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: