Will covid-19 kill some benefits

Old May 4, 20, 11:09 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Longton has a very good point to which I must say I agree. I only love to fly business class for the service, which in EK means the catering. No need to fly business on a breakfast flight....or if I need to drive on landing...economy is good enough for it. If tomorrow we are standing with a free middle seat in economy...and pay the price of Flex or Flex Plus for it...with comparaison to a "lunch box" service in business class....well....Economy it will be for me too!
Old May 4, 20, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards silver
They Surely can’t keep a “reduced service” up for long? No way people will want to pay money if there is still no bar service and cold food boxes?
Old May 4, 20, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls View Post
They Surely can’t keep a “reduced service” up for long? No way people will want to pay money if there is still no bar service and cold food boxes?
Only for as long as necessary. And yes people already have!
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old May 4, 20, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante View Post
Only for as long as necessary. And yes people already have!
I thought most flights at the minute were just repatriation flights? Not the same as someone paying for a leisure flight?
Old May 4, 20, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls View Post
I thought most flights at the minute were just repatriation flights? Not the same as someone paying for a leisure flight?
It still remains the case that people were choosing to pay AED 5,000 for the seats in J when they could have just paid AED 2,500 in Y.

I know I would have, if I was taking those reparation flights. A differential of AED 2,500 is surprisingly reasonable (for an ex-UAE departure at least).
Old May 5, 20, 3:37 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
We all choose the class of service based on different 'requirements'. For me personally it is extremely difficult to sit up straight with my knees against the seat in front of me for many hours. So I am quite happy with the 77W J seat, knowing full well it is not 'industry standard' and also that the A380 hard product is much better. I know others just sit down in Y and fall asleep. We are made up differently (and I am neither tall or overweight). Sure, the food / drink is nice but TO ME it's not a deal breaker in principle.
DYKWIA, diamantaire and Mits10 like this.
Old May 5, 20, 6:37 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
We all choose the class of service based on different 'requirements'. For me personally it is extremely difficult to sit up straight with my knees against the seat in front of me for many hours. So I am quite happy with the 77W J seat, knowing full well it is not 'industry standard' and also that the A380 hard product is much better. I know others just sit down in Y and fall asleep. We are made up differently (and I am neither tall or overweight). Sure, the food / drink is nice but TO ME it's not a deal breaker in principle.
Couldn’t have summarised that any better.
Old May 5, 20, 7:21 am

Programs: EK iO
I much prefer the 77W for sleeping, the side is wider. I can't get comfortable in the 380 seat. Perhaps soon I can since gyms are closed and I can feel my shoulders getting smaller by the day.
Old May 6, 20, 12:33 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou View Post
I much prefer the 77W for sleeping, the side is wider. I can't get comfortable in the 380 seat. Perhaps soon I can since gyms are closed and I can feel my shoulders getting smaller by the day.
Handstand press ups and burpees will get them back in no time!
iFlyMoreThanYou likes this.
Old May 8, 20, 12:46 am
formerly EKplat

Programs: EK platinum
I intend to avoid J altogether while the long transition back to pre-COVID19 is happening. The F product is consistent at the moment across all EK beasts, accepting that the new F in 777s is marginally better. I have achieved an additional 50,000 tier miles this cycle with the platinum rollover benefit. Now all I have to hope for is Australia allowing overseas travel to recommence and also that my destinations allow me entry in time for me to take at least 2 trips in F to regain platinum by April 30 next year. F is definitely the way to travel at the moment to avoid the vagaries of J cabin quality as EK strives to maximise returns by using appropriate metal.

If I'm not able to travel, well c'est la vie. It's my 68th birthday today and I ain't taking any risks with that virus. With asthma and type 2 diabetes, I would be taking a huge risk by being cavalier about travel at the moment in the absence of any mitigating factors such as vaccines and medicines which are proven to reduce its severity.

I will be extremely happy to wait it out and put an extra lick of paint on the workshop weatherboards, and spend a bit more time in the factory. Luckily the business has not been impacted by coronavirus. We must relax and count our blessings at this time.

I'm pretty sure that life is not worth living when you're dead!

Last edited by BadoRas; May 8, 20 at 12:56 am
Old May 8, 20, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BadoRas View Post
I intend to avoid J altogether while the long transition back to pre-COVID19 is happening. The F product is consistent at the moment across all EK beasts, accepting that the new F in 777s is marginally better. I have achieved an additional 50,000 tier miles this cycle with the platinum rollover benefit. Now all I have to hope for is Australia allowing overseas travel to recommence and also that my destinations allow me entry in time for me to take at least 2 trips in F to regain platinum by April 30 next year. F is definitely the way to travel at the moment to avoid the vagaries of J cabin quality as EK strives to maximise returns by using appropriate metal.

If I'm not able to travel, well c'est la vie. It's my 68th birthday today and I ain't taking any risks with that virus. With asthma and type 2 diabetes, I would be taking a huge risk by being cavalier about travel at the moment in the absence of any mitigating factors such as vaccines and medicines which are proven to reduce its severity.

I will be extremely happy to wait it out and put an extra lick of paint on the workshop weatherboards, and spend a bit more time in the factory. Luckily the business has not been impacted by coronavirus. We must relax and count our blessings at this time.

glas to hear your business hasn’t been impacted by the virus.
BadoRas and flyerby like this.
Old May 10, 20, 4:15 am

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by BadoRas View Post

Happy belated birthday! Another point for flying F is closing the doors so you can take off your mask - I doubt they would enforce that in F while enjoying your privacy.
BadoRas and ElJudioErrante like this.
Old May 14, 20, 3:46 pm

Seems first benefit at present is the cut of free wifi! Would have expected other soft aspects "Onboard Wi-Fi is available for purchase only."
Old May 14, 20, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by suley View Post
Seems first benefit at present is the cut of free wifi! Would have expected other soft aspects "Onboard Wi-Fi is available for purchase only."
Apart from saving money, maybe EK is sensitive about people sending videos/pics of current onboard situation.
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old May 14, 20, 5:27 pm

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante View Post
Apart from saving money, maybe EK is sensitive about people sending videos/pics of current onboard situation.
But if you pay for it, you can record and send those "sensitive videos/pics".

Paid internet is for the limited repatriation flights. I would expect internet to be free to business and first class passengers once Emirates is flying a full schedule.

This is from the Emirates website:

To reduce contact we are currently serving hygienic prepacked meal boxes, with hot snacks on some longer flights. We’re unable to offer dietary meals, alcohol, inflight retail and magazines. Inflight Wi-fi is available for purchase only.

Unquote

I would be more concerned about the lack of alcohol on longer flights!

Last edited by Longton; May 14, 20 at 5:45 pm Reason: Forgotten something

Search this Thread
Search Engine: