BA/EK collision in DXB

Old Apr 14, 20, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

BA/EK collision in DXB

Some threads over in La La Land showing pics of a BA A350 being pushed back at DXB and hitting an EK B777.

BA A350 G- XWBA clips EK B777 at DXB
Old Apr 15, 20, 4:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I heard the useless BA pilot selected reverse instead of first gear. When he pushed the accelerator, the plane started reversing. The pilot panicked and instead of hitting the brake, pushed the accelerator again.

nmc980, ps107, Silver Fox and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 20, 9:22 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedI heard the useless BA pilot selected reverse instead of first gear. When he pushed the accelerator, the plane started reversing. The pilot panicked and instead of hitting the brake, pushed the accelerator again.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
Gears ? I thought that aircraft were all automatic
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Apr 15, 20, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I heard the useless BA pilot selected reverse instead of first gear. When he pushed the accelerator, the plane started reversing. The pilot panicked and instead of hitting the brake, pushed the accelerator again.

He?

Are you sure?
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 1:40 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Hah.. had to happen when there are barely any movements going at DXB.

I see the EK tail number is A6-EBR... Someone in Finance probably is thinking "Sweet, we can retire this old one earlier and collect the insurance!"
Old Apr 17, 20, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If only a/c had a "reverse gear". The last type of a/c that were able to reverse on their own were the MD-80/90/717's. 777's need a tug or "push vehicle" hence why its called pushback. The pilot may have made a wrong order, or the ground guy screwed up, but the pilot did not put anything into "reverse".
Old Apr 18, 20, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by hfly View Post
If only a/c had a "reverse gear". The last type of a/c that were able to reverse on their own were the MD-80/90/717's. 777's need a tug or "push vehicle" hence why its called pushback. The pilot may have made a wrong order, or the ground guy screwed up, but the pilot did not put anything into "reverse".
If only aircrafts had ANY gear. Engine is not connected to the wheels in most of planes anyhow, unlike cars with transmissions. And of course pretty much any modern commercial jet is fully capable of moving backwards by the means of reverse thrust, but it's rarely done due to environment considerations (it's a fuel-expensive operation, extra noise is also a problem), mechanical wear (it's not good for engine resource) and just because most of airports around the world prohibit it (they don't want their ground workers to be blown away and sand and dust be directed at terminal building).
Old Apr 18, 20, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by hfly View Post
I think you missed the joke.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: