Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Cancelled flight today (24/3) ex-LHR, Emirates not honouring EC261

Cancelled flight today (24/3) ex-LHR, Emirates not honouring EC261

Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:26 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Zol
They cancelled a flight you were ticketed on and won't refund you?
Can't believe this ridiculousness, unlike them to be this unreasonable. So what, your only option is to re-book at a later date?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by Zol
Can't believe this ridiculousness, unlike them to be this unreasonable. So what, your only option is to re-book at a later date?
Clearly shows you don't know what EK is really like!
Will08 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:23 pm
zsc
Original Poster

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by ft101
Did your cousin and the OP's friend not see this situation coming? Sometimes you've got to take ownership for yourself and act accordingly.
For a flight that was booked way in advance? Not everyone has a large pool of money sitting around so they can 'act accordingly', which in this situation, means getting a second flight, in such a short timeframe, and at exorbitant prices. Can't speak for the other individual (who seems to have done the right thing, albeit at significant expense) but you simply cannot expect everyone to be on the same level as an average FTer, tracking flight statuses and being in the know. This comment comes across as ignorant and unhelpful to me.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by zsc
For a flight that was booked way in advance? Not everyone has a large pool of money sitting around so they can 'act accordingly', which in this situation, means getting a second flight, in such a short timeframe, and at exorbitant prices. Can't speak for the other individual (who seems to have done the right thing, albeit at significant expense) but you simply cannot expect everyone to be on the same level as an average FTer, tracking flight statuses and being in the know. This comment comes across as ignorant and unhelpful to me.
I don't think you needed to be either a Flyertalker or in the know to see that flights were closing in rapidly and there was a need to make changes and get moving.

I do agree though it was a testing time and sometimes we all say 'get another ticket' without appreciating individual personal circumstances.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While the time for recriminations about people who waited far too long to get out of wherever they are and now find the options few & far between will come, that does not help anyone now. Moreover, whistling up the funds to pay for new tickets while fighting about the old ones may simply not be possible for many.

Chargeback rules vary by jurisdiction, but if yours permits one, file it immediately after being denied a refund and follow the specific requirements of your jurisdiction. If a written claim is required, then file it. If there is a specific address, use it. Remember, chargebacks are not about lousy service, they are about specific contractual or other legal failings.

Finally, check all of your insurance policies carefully. Some may have strict deadlines for claims and missing a deadline can have very expensive consequences.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
On EC261 some interesting Reuters News:

Cash-strapped European airlines resist mounting coronavirus refund claims.

Cash-strapped airlines resist mounting coronavirus refund claims

Cash-strapped European carriers are seeking to suspend European Union rules requiring refunds for cancellations and instead issue vouchers to customers left out of pocket as hundreds of thousands of flights are grounded by the pandemic.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by zsc
Nonsense, unless your friend has no TV and no access to any other media they would have known something was happening. Emirates would have changed dates for free or destination without any change fee so no large pool of money was required, and Malaysia had effectively shut up shop to all but nationals a week before. It may have upset other plans to get in before the shutdown but that's when priorities need to be set. This was an easy one IMO to get to where you wanted to be for the next few weeks/months and you didn't need to be a flyertalker to know it.
Will08 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by zsc
DXB- East coast AUS is a 14 hour flight. In normal circumstances it would be very sensible to check the inbound flight status before heading to the airport so it beggars belief how in the current climate one would just go to the airport without checking anything.

For example - EK414 has an arrival time of 22.30. The arrival time is tight. If it gets there too late it’ll get rerouted, most likely to Melbourne. In 2020 you don’t need to be a flight enthusiast to google Ek*** flight status.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Not defending EK, but the word is that because these cancellations are a result of government closing borders and therefore EK's problem flights are being cancelled. Therefore cancellation fees are being charged and only changes are allowed without change fee.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:55 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
They should no be charging a cancellation fee in my view.

My flights are now waiting for me to decide what to do (hopefully move them free of charge and fare difference) when things open up again
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:56 am

Programs: SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by m3red
They should no be charging a cancellation fee in my view. (hopefully move them free of charge and fare difference)
I think this is the biggest unknown at this stage. That's why they seem to be pushing the travel vouchers, because then the new tickets can be re-priced at the then-prevailing fares. All airlines have talked about waiving the change fees which is all well and good, but nobody is promising a no-fare-difference guarantee as far as I can see. There will be some winners in that shuffle and some losers, the winning side and magnitude to be determined.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:55 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by aeropix
I think this is the biggest unknown at this stage. That's why they seem to be pushing the travel vouchers, because then the new tickets can be re-priced at the then-prevailing fares. All airlines have talked about waiving the change fees which is all well and good, but nobody is promising a no-fare-difference guarantee as far as I can see. There will be some winners in that shuffle and some losers, the winning side and magnitude to be determined.
The problem is that this changes all the time. I now have - through my TA - an EK ticket 'on hold' as the outgoing flights were cancelled. I copy from an email received from them on Thursday 26/03: The benefit is that you have 760 days from the original date of issue to make a change , at the moment as per the airline rules you will only pay the difference in taxes.

However the airline does reserve the right to make changes at any given time.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:06 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
I am hardly known as a defender of the 'worlds favourite airline', but I must say that I was impressed by the process they have for rebooking.
I am assisting a family member getting from JNB to LHR. Got her on EK, but that was cancelled with first re-book options in May. And that of course entirely depends on DXB being operational (in addition to JNB and LHR). As she wants to get out asap, I helped her to book an additional JNB / LHR on BA. Fare was surprisingly good, just about £50 more than EK (one way). Flight got cancelled due to closure of JNB as a result of the current lockdown. Looked on the BA website when the next flight would be and noted that the fare would be about £150 more than she paid. Went to MMB, clicked on change my booking, chose the new date, expecting to have to pay the fare difference. Not at all, next page was 'your booking has been changed, we have sent you an email'. And indeed. So no fare difference there!
Credit where credit is due.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Will08
DXB- East coast AUS is a 14 hour flight. In normal circumstances it would be very sensible to check the inbound flight status before heading to the airport so it beggars belief how in the current climate one would just go to the airport without checking anything.

For example - EK414 has an arrival time of 22.30. The arrival time is tight. If it gets there too late it’ll get rerouted, most likely to Melbourne. In 2020 you don’t need to be a flight enthusiast to google Ek*** flight status.
In the current environment aircraft are stranded all over the place and it would take a foolish person to rely on some google of a supposed inward flight.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:31 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by simons1
In the current environment aircraft are stranded all over the place and it would take a foolish person to rely on some google of a supposed inward flight.
yeah you are right, best to just put your head in the sand and just turn up at the airport like everything is normal. I’ll take my chances with getting my own info thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.