FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   UAE Government Suspends All Passenger Flights From 25th March 2020 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/2013941-uae-government-suspends-all-passenger-flights-25th-march-2020-a.html)

xavzz Mar 22, 2020 8:01 am

UAE Government Suspends All Passenger Flights From 25th March 2020

Emirates has changed its statement from suspending all passenger flights to say "Having received requests from governments and customers to support the repatriation of travellers, Emirates will continue to operate passenger and cargo flights to the following countries and territories until further notice, as long as borders remain open, and there is demand: the UK, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Japan, Singapore, Australia, South Africa, South Korea, USA, and Canada" ...

Good luck to all staff and families.

Global Adventurer Mar 22, 2020 8:13 am

I just received a message on this. Wow.

SpeedAdvantage Mar 22, 2020 8:22 am

Are we now allowed to request for a full cash refund?

Duck1981 Mar 22, 2020 8:27 am

Wow. That's a bummer. Wondering how long it will take EK and the whole UAE economy to recover....

Link:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/22/emir...-march-25.html

Often1 Mar 22, 2020 8:36 am

Your contract with EK requires it to refund your ticket if your flight is cancelled. Presuming that no segment has yet been flown, the entire ticket should be refunded to your original form of payment, e.g. credit card.

In the event that you request a refund and it is not forthcoming, be certain to start the chargeback process with your card issuer (bank). EK may offer you a credit for future travel. I would not accept that unless the credit includes a significant premium above the face value of the ticket.

xavzz Mar 22, 2020 8:46 am

You can also request a travel voucher for future travels up to 1 year.

cargueiro Mar 22, 2020 8:57 am

Do you think FlyDubai may suspend too?

RedDevil83 Mar 22, 2020 9:00 am

We have an economy ticket ex-eu for 8 days time, and paid for an upgrade. Obviously I am aware under EU law they must now give cash refund for the economy fare paid (how will be best to request that as they're still saying vouchers only) , but does anyone know the law regarding cash paid for upgrades, can I claim that back as cash too or will we have to accept a voucher for that part?

ukdoctor Mar 22, 2020 9:01 am

I had requested a travel voucher for flights I am supposed to take on 29th March and 3rd April. Both tickets have been partially used. ( used one way of the return ticket)

in case EK does not pay can we charge back half or would it be based on fare rules

Duck1981 Mar 22, 2020 9:04 am

Originally Posted by cargueiro (Post 32218301)
Do you think FlyDubai may suspend too?

I guess they are less reliant on hub and spoke, but my pennies would be on closure as well (as practically no one can enter the UAE at the moment)

ukdoctor Mar 22, 2020 9:04 am

Originally Posted by RedDevil83 (Post 32218314)
We have an economy ticket ex-eu for 8 days time, and paid for an upgrade. Obviously I am aware under EU law they must now give cash refund for the economy fare paid (how will be best to request that as they're still saying vouchers only) , but does anyone know the law regarding cash paid for upgrades, can I claim that back as cash too or will we have to accept a voucher for that part?

I have the same issue. If EK does not pay I am thinking of a chargeback for the upgrade fees that I paid .

Duck1981 Mar 22, 2020 9:07 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor (Post 32218324)
I had requested a travel voucher for flights I am supposed to take on 29th March and 3rd April. Both tickets have been partially used. ( used one way of the return ticket)

in case EK does not pay can we charge back half or would it be based on fare rules

I had a similar issue with an Etihad ticket - multi stop ticket, first leg to AUH flown, rest I could not make due to entry restrictions anymore. Tried to reach them over 5 days 3 hours each and no chance, filled out an online form without any response so far. Started charge back once back in the UK with AMEX and simply wait for a response from EY - whenever that will be....

cargueiro Mar 22, 2020 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981 (Post 32218333)
I guess they are less reliant on hub and spoke, but my pennies would be on closure as well (as practically no one can enter the UAE at the moment)

I imagine it is imminent....

DesertNomad Mar 22, 2020 9:18 am

A friend who is a fairly senior captain for Emirates just had his pay cut by 50%, management is taking the same cut. Cabin crew are being cut 25%.

DYKWIA Mar 22, 2020 9:22 am

Originally Posted by DesertNomad (Post 32218386)
A friend who is a fairly senior captain for Emirates just had his pay cut by 50%, management is taking the same cut. Cabin crew are being cut 25%.

I guess that's fair enough. I'm awaiting the same fate :(