Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates cancellations - refunds/vouchers

Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DYKWIA
To request a refund / voucher or keep your ticket open for 24 months, use the following link :-

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/...efund-request/
Print Wikipost

Emirates cancellations - refunds/vouchers

Old Oct 5, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by cager
Hi there - I'm new to the EK forum and have a question. I am planning on purchasing a flex J class ticket (fully refundable), if I plan on cancelling a few days before I fly, how long does the "full refund" typically take to credit my credit card?
Thanks!
It varies. In normal times, a couple of days. During the pandemic, some people are getttjng theirs refunded fairly quickly (I was reimbursed in full I in four days I think) and others wait weeks or months, and there doesnt seem to be an obvious pattern.

Anecdotally, it seems to have got much better recently, but I wouldnt plan on a specific date. And much better to use a credit card, yes.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 4:46 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Originally Posted by kguy12345
Just to chime in- If you need to cancel your booking, but wish to keep your ticket for future use, give the online chat tool on the Emirates website a try. I got almost immediate assistance and immediate coordination of the request. I was expecting to suffer through hours of waiting for something to be done, but my booking was cancelled and converted to an open booking ticket within about 3 minutes. Kind of flabbergasted, really.
What's the validity of this open ticket?
Old Oct 6, 2020, 8:33 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by SpeedAdvantage
What's the validity of this open ticket?
2 years from issue of the original ticket (as long as it was issued before 30 September, it is not quite clear what is happening with tickets that have been issued after that).
By the way, this only applies for tickets which have been cancelled by the airline for what we broadly could call COVID reasons. If you cancel a flight which is operated as normal, the standard fare conditions will apply.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Originally Posted by thijsseh
2 years from issue of the original ticket (as long as it was issued before 30 September, it is not quite clear what is happening with tickets that have been issued after that).
By the way, this only applies for tickets which have been cancelled by the airline for what we broadly could call COVID reasons. If you cancel a flight which is operated as normal, the standard fare conditions will apply.
Appreciate the additional info. Although from what I've read from their website before, if your flight has been canceled you do not need to do anything as they will automatically convert your ticket to open booking. Not sure if that has changed.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
On 23rd Sept I had an online chat (got through immediately) to an agent re cancelling our one way LHR/CPT J tickets due to their schedule change. He told me to fill in the refund form online and to add in the comments section “refund requested due to schedule change.” On 3rd Oct I received an Emirates email saying money refunded in full and yesterday, the 6th it was back on the credit card. I had expected to wait a little longer than that so was very pleasantly surprised.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:48 pm

In my case, it took 60 days from time of refund request to get a confirmation from Emirates that the refund has been processed, but still may take some days to hit my M/C bank account. You can see the whole story in my thread entitled "Itinerary changed -- my rights".
Old Oct 23, 2020, 7:39 am
formerly Bryce Curdy

No doubt the information is available somewhere, but I'm hoping somebody can give me some quick advice.

On 6th March this year I booked 2 Reward Return Business / Flex Plus GLA-COK tickets departing 14th January next year using 360,000 miles and approximately 1900 in charges, taxes and fees. There have since been two significant schedule changes (24 hours) announced. We are looking to cancel for obvious reasons although it is very likely that we would look to make the same trip in January 2022 and/or January 2023 assuming the pandemic situation allows.

What's my best option in terms of Refund, Flexible Ticket or Voucher. Our flights were booked before 30th September which seems to mean a Flexible Ticket might not get accepted in the same booking class. I note the two year extension for Flexible Tickets and Vouchers but am not sure how this applies. Is it two years from the original booking date or the departure date and must you have flown (at least outward) or merely booked by the deadline? And if I opted for a refund what's the position with refunded miles expiring? Would their original expiry date apply or is it extended?

Thanks for any advice - greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by El Vercker
No doubt the information is available somewhere, but I'm hoping somebody can give me some quick advice.

On 6th March this year I booked 2 Reward Return Business / Flex Plus GLA-COK tickets departing 14th January next year using 360,000 miles and approximately 1900 in charges, taxes and fees. There have since been two significant schedule changes (24 hours) announced. We are looking to cancel for obvious reasons although it is very likely that we would look to make the same trip in January 2022 and/or January 2023 assuming the pandemic situation allows.

What's my best option in terms of Refund, Flexible Ticket or Voucher. Our flights were booked before 30th September which seems to mean a Flexible Ticket might not get accepted in the same booking class. I note the two year extension for Flexible Tickets and Vouchers but am not sure how this applies. Is it two years from the original booking date or the departure date and must you have flown (at least outward) or merely booked by the deadline? And if I opted for a refund what's the position with refunded miles expiring? Would their original expiry date apply or is it extended?

Thanks for any advice - greatly appreciated.
Hi

As your booking was made prior to the 30th of September 2020 you can opt to keep your ticket open for travel for 2 years from the original booking date. The fare will be accepted if you were to rebook your tickets to GLA-COK in Business Class at anytime within the 2 years. Even if the same fare booking class is not available at the time you want to travel, they will rebook you without any fare difference or change fee.

Secondly due to the schedule changes and cancellations you are entitled to claim a refund. However, currently any skywards miles that were due to expire this year only have an extension until the 31st of December 2020. If you do decide to go ahead with a refund and dont use your Skywards miles before the expiry date then you will lose them.

My advice would be to keep the ticket open for 2 years especially as you are hoping to make the trip in the future. You will have to complete your travel by around the 5th of April 2022 as Emirates will give you 760 days from the original booking date.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with the pre-30 September rebooking policy when the origin is no longer served by EK? I know the policy says the destination can change to another city within the same region but I don't recall seeing anything about changing the origin.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 10:08 am
formerly Bryce Curdy

Originally Posted by Nabeel Ahmad
Hi

As your booking was made prior to the 30th of September 2020 you can opt to keep your ticket open for travel for 2 years from the original booking date. The fare will be accepted if you were to rebook your tickets to GLA-COK in Business Class at anytime within the 2 years. Even if the same fare booking class is not available at the time you want to travel, they will rebook you without any fare difference or change fee.

Secondly due to the schedule changes and cancellations you are entitled to claim a refund. However, currently any skywards miles that were due to expire this year only have an extension until the 31st of December 2020. If you do decide to go ahead with a refund and dont use your Skywards miles before the expiry date then you will lose them.

My advice would be to keep the ticket open for 2 years especially as you are hoping to make the trip in the future. You will have to complete your travel by around the 5th of April 2022 as Emirates will give you 760 days from the original booking date.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Nabeel.

I'm not following what happens if the same fare booking class is not available. Does that mean if there are no Business Reward seats available but there are Business seats available I will be able to get them? And if there are no Flex Plus seats and only Saver Seats will I get a refund? And what do I do to keep my ticket open?

And finally are you sure about 31st December 2020 for extension of skywards miles validity. https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/...ywards-status/ says 'We've extended the validity of any Skywards miles due to expire from April 2020 until 31 March 2021.'

Many thanks again.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 1:12 am

Mileage Upgrade Fee not refunded

Hi

i had a flight cancelled which was originally an economy flex and upgraded with miles. Had to pay an extra 192 (96ea) for the STN-DXB sector. When flight cancelled, refund of flex fare was very swift into my account. Miles also redeposited quickly. But not the 192 upgrade fee. Emirates are not refusing to acknowledge it hasnt been refunded and every time I escalate it, no reply is forthcoming.

Has anyone had a similar situation? Is my best bet a chargeback or just wait?

Many thanks
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:33 am

Update if anyone going for a refund.and wondering about times.

Had a voucher which was issued due to a cancelled flight from April 2020. Decided to request a refund, filled out refund form on Nov 30th. Received email saying it was in process on 2nd Dec and money back 10th Dec.
mjmal51 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by danger
Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with the pre-30 September rebooking policy when the origin is no longer served by EK? I know the policy says the destination can change to another city within the same region but I don't recall seeing anything about changing the origin.
Does anyone know whether changing the origin is covered in the waiver? It explicitly explains changing the destination within a region, but no mention of the origin
Old Dec 11, 2020, 6:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by cstorrie
Does anyone know whether changing the origin is covered in the waiver? It explicitly explains changing the destination within a region, but no mention of the origin
I should have reported back. According to an agent with I chatted with through the chat feature, yes, a change of origin is covered by the waiver. Note, though, I was asking from the perspective of the origin no longer being served.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:08 am

Hey Folks

I had two single and three return tickets cancelled back in April. I'd have thought I would have received something from Emirates by now RE rebooking or vouchers or something, but nada. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance they wont just forget them

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.