Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates cancellations - refunds/vouchers

Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DYKWIA
To request a refund / voucher or keep your ticket open for 24 months, use the following link :-

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/...efund-request/
Print Wikipost

Emirates cancellations - refunds/vouchers

Old Aug 20, 2020, 8:08 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Just got my CPT/AMS/CPT for October refunded. 47 days after requesting the cancellation.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:47 am

Another refund timeline done via chargeback (but I think it would've worked otherwise also)

Bought DXB-LAX flight in January 2020, due to fly in July 2020.
Flight cancelled by Emirates in mid-June
Submitted refund form in mid-June.
Amex chargeback in mid-July
Amex refunded back end-July
Emirates emailed back in mid-August saying they can't refund because chargeback already processed

Its a good thing I did a chargeback because the flight was bought in local currency, which has devalued since, but amex gave back the entire actual US dollars charged amount and any transaction fees. If Emirates refunded back in local currency I woulld've lost out on the conversion
Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA GfL, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
To round this off. We had another go round the phones with disingenuous EK, more promises of phone calls.emails, priority escalations etc and no promises kept (they really are a useless bunch of shi*ts).

Told my other half to Email Tim Clark (CEO) with misery story and that they had just lost a First Class pax to QR. The refund turned up a week later and 20 days before the 90 expired. No idea if this is just a coincidence or not but I guess others could give it a try as well
Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:47 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Question. I as long with another family member had an RT ticket booked, HYD-JFK-HYD. We had already flown the outbound HYD-JFK in January, but never flew the return because of Covid. They just automatically canceled since the flights were cancelled, so I'm wondering how long the return will be valid for? They were Flex First FWIW. Can I use them in December (depending on travel restrictions etc)?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:42 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by S.R
Question. I as long with another family member had an RT ticket booked, HYD-JFK-HYD. We had already flown the outbound HYD-JFK in January, but never flew the return because of Covid. They just automatically canceled since the flights were cancelled, so I'm wondering how long the return will be valid for? They were Flex First FWIW. Can I use them in December (depending on travel restrictions etc)?
Those tickets should automatically have been converted to anytime we fly again tickets. They will be valid until 24 months (2 years) after the original booking so you should be fine for December (indeed assuming the flights operate at that stage).
S.R likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 12:32 am
THR

Submitted my award cancellation request early June and still waiting for the points back 😕 Want them so I can book another flight for next year
Old Aug 24, 2020, 2:42 am

Programs: LH Sen, EK Gold
Originally Posted by THR
Submitted my award cancellation request early June and still waiting for the points back 😕 Want them so I can book another flight for next year
Try the Live Chat option
It worked for me last 3 times they will put the Miles back while you are chatting with them,providing that it is a legit claim
iFlyMoreThanYou likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 5:48 am
THR

Originally Posted by INDYFRED
Try the Live Chat option
It worked for me last 3 times they will put the Miles back while you are chatting with them,providing that it is a legit claim
Wow, thanks for the suggestion. I had contacted their Twitter a couple of times to no avail. Didnt even know there was a live chat option as its not very prominent.

But just got them reinstated via the Live Chat!
Old Aug 26, 2020, 4:55 am

Now 90+ days from the official refund request without a refund.... I don't know what else I can do, I am so frustrated with Emirates.. Any Ideas?
Old Aug 26, 2020, 5:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Jay66
Now 90+ days from the official refund request without a refund.... I don't know what else I can do, I am so frustrated with Emirates.. Any Ideas?
Try Amex again. Include all the information and emails / screenshots and point out that it's 90 days.

Are there any "Small Claims Courts" or similar where you are? If so, go down this route.

Have you had any updates from Emirates? Maybe try the Chat that's been mentioned on here recently.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Jay66
join the club, lovely friendly customer service but useless, they are certainly on my "never use again" list
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Try Amex again. Include all the information and emails / screenshots and point out that it's 90 days.

Are there any "Small Claims Courts" or similar where you are? If so, go down this route.

Have you had any updates from Emirates? Maybe try the Chat that's been mentioned on here recently.
They just told me they sent the refund 10 days ago, but it can take up to 30 days with some credit cards I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait until my billing cycle closes.

But very sad they treat their customers like this. All other airlines managed to refund the tickets at in a semi normal time frame - given the circumstances.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Can confirm skyward miles redemption tickets also apply to the "keep your ticket open" policy, great way to get rid of the max stay.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: Marriott
Just a quick experience from my side with regards to travel vouchers - I had a number of bookings that I converted into travel vouchers earlier in the year. Today I went on to the Emirates website to book flights using one of the travel vouchers. There is no option to redeem these on the EK website currently and you have to call the contact centre to make a booking using a voucher. As you are booking via the contact centre they charge you a booking fee (AED100 per passenger in my case). I requested the call centre to waive this as there was no other option to book other than the call centre and was told it was not possible. What a terrible policy and way to treat customers who have decided not to request refunds for cancelled travel.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by ajp1
As you are booking via the contact centre they charge you a booking fee (AED100 per passenger in my case). I requested the call centre to waive this as there was no other option to book other than the call centre and was told it was not possible. What a terrible policy and way to treat customers who have decided not to request refunds for cancelled travel.
Unusual, as there are website issues reported in the past where this fee has been waived.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.