Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates cancellations - refunds/vouchers

Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DYKWIA
To request a refund / voucher or keep your ticket open for 24 months, use the following link :-

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/...efund-request/
Print Wikipost

Emirates cancellations - refunds/vouchers

Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Plat
Originally Posted by Globex
Not as fast as 10 days but I got mine as well. See my post earlier.
mid-April. Think it was three days. Well I checked three days after I asked for a refund and Id been credited back.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 4:42 pm

Refund Issue

Emirates cancelled my flight in March due to the corona virus. I requested a full cash refund but Emirates sent me a voucher a few days later. I got back to Emirates telling them i had absolutely no interest in receiving a voucher and that i wanted a full cash refund.
I sent this request to Emirates team over 50 times over a 3 month period and they replied to me every single time that the voucher was non refundable. I contacted them using a combination of phone calls and formal complaints over the 50 or so times i contacted them. I must have wasted over 100 hours exploring all available legal options i had and constantly contacting emirates everyday demanding a full cash refund.

I then took some advise and opened up a charge back when they refused to refund the voucher and also sent a recorded delivery letter in the post advising them once again that i wanted a full cash refund. A few days after the recorded delivery was sent to them they let me know that they would send me a full cash refund.

Then 2 weeks ago they told me that the refund had been sent to my bank account. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and allowed some time for it to show on my bank statement but it never did. So i contacted my bank and they tell me there is no record at all of emirates sending the refund. I then got back to emirates and they told me the refund had already been sent and it should appear in my bank account soon. It never did and i contacted my bank again about it and they said there was no such payment sent.

Now my bank have got back to me regarding the charge back informing me that emirates has declined the chargeback. How can Emirates decline the chargeback when they have told me i will be sent a refund and then not send me the refund im very confused? How can an airline decline a chargeback for a flight they themselves cancelled

My bank has not accepted Emirates version of events and will be filing a second chargeback against Emirates.

I have contacted the civil aviation authority but they are unable to help me with this.

Its been 4 months since my flight was cancelled, they refused a refund for months, told me they sent a payment when they did not and now have declined my charge back from the bank. I am still no further forward after wasting more than 100 hours dealing with this Emirates have been a disgrace.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What was the routing of your original ticket?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Could you provide information in a clear coherent set of bulletpoints showing what happened and when

When the airline defended against the chargeback, what was its excuse? If it was that the money had already been paid, go to Emirates and ask for details of account that was credited and when. It should have been refunded back to the card that the purchase was made on. If so, you can respond to the defence and counter its validity and the card company will address this; if it claims to have credited to the card and there is no credit, then should be easy to refute the defence

Any company can defend against a charge back. lodging one is not a guarantee of being successful. You can however refute a defence

If you cannot prevail with the card company, then lodge a claim in a small claims court against Emirates

For now, however, just wait until the card company comes back from its follow up and see what it says.

For future situations - once a dispute of a charge has been initiated, do not do anything else with the company - let the charge back process
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GfL, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
What's the current experience with time taken for Emirates Refunds. My other half had her trip canx due to Covid some months back. She elected to have a refund direct back to her card and they told her 50 days. After 50 days she called back and was then told 90 days. She escalated and they told her that, as a first class passenger, they would send it to a special team and this would be processed within 7 days. Of course 7 days has come and gone and there is no refund (with email confirmation as was promised). It was a ticket booked on the Emirates Website so there really should be no complications. I presume she is going to end up waiting (90 days) and any escalation just goes in the big round thing ??
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:42 am

Sounds about right.

After my chargeback being denied from AmEx (Initiated before official refund options were available) I went the official route via the online form.

I'm on day 75 now with no refund in sight... I been calling every week for the past 3 weeks, escalated multiple time. They told me they will email the accounting team and that as a "Gold Member" I should be expedited. But nothing. I'm pretty frustrated as well. Been essentially trying to get a refund since cancellation in March..
Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:57 am

probably know the answer this but here goes had to cancel Mauritius holiday on 28th July for personal reasons knowing I would lose 400 in fees, now all these flights to Mauritius are cancelled dont suppose I am now entitled to full amount as I have not had refund yet
Old Aug 12, 2020, 8:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Stephen Harwood
probably know the answer this but here goes had to cancel Mauritius holiday on 28th July for personal reasons knowing I would lose 400 in fees, now all these flights to Mauritius are cancelled dont suppose I am now entitled to full amount as I have not had refund yet
Nope. Too late now, but the general advice is to not cancel until as late as possible for just this scenario.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Nope. Too late now, but the general advice is to not cancel until as late as possible for just this scenario.
yea thought so but had problems and really needed the cash if I had known they took so long to refund i may have risked it for a while, will stick to BA until this mess is over at least they refund sharpish
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
this is great advice and just to add: you can do this right until check in closes, 60 min before departure. I know by that time you'll know if the flight is cancelled yes or no, but it may he helpful for other situations. For example, back in March I cancelled 10min before check in closed (when countries started closing)
Old Aug 14, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I just purchased a cheap Saver fare between the US and DXB, which shows a USD 300 change fee. But I understand that for all tickets purchased before August 31, I can cancel for any reason and rebook for no additional fare between anywhere in North America and DXB in the next 24 months. Is that right?

And if I do travel next month as planned, do I need to purchase any sort of special health insurance to be admitted into DXB, or is the 96 hour COVID test all that is required? Many thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:11 am

Programs: Fying Blue Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Silver Elite, Hilton Silver
So I have a return booking HAM-DXB-CGK and my HAM-DXB leg has been cancelled by Emirates due to operational reasons.
Even though its cancelled, my booking is still active in the website for DXB-CGK, CGK-DXB and DXB-HAM but I do not intend use those legs.

Does this still entitle me for a full refund?
Can I use the link in the top of this thread to process the refund or do I need to reach out call center?
Old Aug 20, 2020, 5:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by IhsanRaharjo
So I have a return booking HAM-DXB-CGK and my HAM-DXB leg has been cancelled by Emirates due to operational reasons.
Even though its cancelled, my booking is still active in the website for DXB-CGK, CGK-DXB and DXB-HAM but I do not intend use those legs.

Does this still entitle me for a full refund?
Can I use the link in the top of this thread to process the refund or do I need to reach out call center?
Was this all booked on one ticket? If yes, then you can get a full refund of the whole initerary. Phone the call centre and they'll sort it out.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by miguel0881
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I just purchased a cheap Saver fare between the US and DXB, which shows a USD 300 change fee. But I understand that for all tickets purchased before August 31, I can cancel for any reason and rebook for no additional fare between anywhere in North America and DXB in the next 24 months. Is that right?

And if I do travel next month as planned, do I need to purchase any sort of special health insurance to be admitted into DXB, or is the 96 hour COVID test all that is required? Many thanks!
You can't cancel for simply any reason to take advantage of the flexible booking policy. Your booking needs to be considered an involuntary change that fits one of the following:

Flight cancellation Emirates flight is cancelled for a specific date or route is suspended for a continuous period of time.
Travel ban Where there is an explicit government notification that prohibits travel from either point of journey origin or destination
Travel advisory There is general government advisory against non-essential travel but no travel ban.
Visa process change / Quarantine Visa process which required visiting an embassy/consulate OR mandatory quarantine at origin or destination.
Passenger is unable to reach airport Countries which have a government lockdown and passengers are unable to reach airport.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: Fying Blue Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Silver Elite, Hilton Silver
Was this all booked on one ticket? If yes, then you can get a full refund of the whole initerary. Phone the call centre and they'll sort it out.
Yep all in one booking. I will reach out to call centre then. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.