Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Refund to a different bank account

Old Mar 16, 20, 10:25 am
Original Poster

I booked a flight which I now have to cancel. It was booked on emirates.com and paid via bank transfer. Does anyone know if they will refund the money to a different bank account? The one I paid it from was an old savings account from when I worked in a different country and it has since been closed. I have tried contacting them but can't get through on phone and not had a reply to Twitter messages either.
Old Mar 16, 20, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Very unlikely. Yours is a common situation. Typically the bank will transfer the funds to you by whatever means you designate, e.g. bank transfer or check.
Old Mar 16, 20, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Very unlikely. Yours is a common situation. Typically the bank will transfer the funds to you by whatever means you designate, e.g. bank transfer or check.
I thought that. It's a bank account in mongolia and they weren't the easiest to deal with when I lived there and had an account. No idea how I'll get on trying to get it back.
Old Mar 16, 20, 12:54 pm

It would be an automated system to refund to the original method and source, also is anti money laundering regs, I would suggest getting a voucher if you intend to fly with EK again
Old Mar 16, 20, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suley View Post
It would be an automated system to refund to the original method and source, also is anti money laundering regs, I would suggest getting a voucher if you intend to fly with EK again
I've requested 1 refund on a different booking that was paid by credit card and it said it would be refunded to the card used which is fine. This one when you are on refund form and select bank transfer it asks for bank details so I'm unsure if I can just type in a different bank account into this and thats where they'll sen the refund or if it'll be rejected because it doesn't match the account used to make payment.
Old Mar 17, 20, 10:12 am

Programs: EK Platinum
Originally Posted by monkeyshoulder22 View Post
I've requested 1 refund on a different booking that was paid by credit card and it said it would be refunded to the card used which is fine. This one when you are on refund form and select bank transfer it asks for bank details so I'm unsure if I can just type in a different bank account into this and thats where they'll sen the refund or if it'll be rejected because it doesn't match the account used to make payment.
The latter.
Old Mar 17, 20, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Think I'll ask them for a voucher instead as I don't think I'd be able to get it from the bank.
Old Mar 18, 20, 8:53 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by monkeyshoulder22 View Post
Thanks everyone. Think I'll ask them for a voucher instead as I don't think I'd be able to get it from the bank.

If you have any way of getting your cash back I would recommend that. A voucher is no use if the airline goes under.

Many airlines are not expected to survive this crisis and EK is no exception..

Between me and family we have lost around 5000 GBP in Thomas cook and flybe vouchers . The former was deemed too big to fail and accounts for most of the losses.

Also pay with a reliable card ( I recommend AMEX) for any flights you are planning to take over the next year

Last edited by ukdoctor; Mar 18, 20 at 9:30 am
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:33 am

Programs: EK Platinum
Originally Posted by ukdoctor View Post
If you have any way of getting your cash back I would recommend that. A voucher is no use if the airline goes under.

Between me and family we have lost around 5000 GBP in Thomas cook and flybe vouchers . The former was deemed too big to fail and accounts for most of the losses.

Also pay with a reliable card ( I recommend AMEX) for any flights you are planning to take over the next year
EK QR and EY are exceptions
Old Mar 18, 20, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ukdoctor View Post

Would prefer cash obviously but I don't think I'd be able to get it from the bank without going to Mongolia to sort it out. Vouchers be next best as can use them once able to fly again, providing airline still in business.
Old Mar 18, 20, 11:32 am

EK is the same as BA, it's the nations carrier and the goverment wont allow it to crash and burn. It will always bail out.
monkeyshoulder22 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 12:04 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by suley View Post
EK is the same as BA, it's the nations carrier and the goverment wont allow it to crash and burn. It will always bail out.
the irony of the US3 now needing government bailouts whist accusing Ek, EY and QR of being supported by the state...
Old Mar 18, 20, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by m3red View Post
the irony of the US3 now needing government bailouts whist accusing Ek, EY and QR of being supported by the state...
Very true, you don't see US3 complaining these days, happy to take what they can. It's all just politics, US3 wont crash and burn just as much as EK, QR, EY wont. Just different tactics and perception

Search this Thread
Search Engine: