Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Group request employees take voluntary leave

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold

Emirates Group requesting employees take voluntary leave

​​​​​

"Dubai's Emirates Group has asked employees to take voluntary leave in light of the worldwide outbreak of the Covid-19 coronavirus."
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:36 am

"Emirates Group, which runs the world’s biggest airline by international traffic, is encouraging staff to take leave as the coronavirus outbreak slows demand for travel.

“We’ve seen a measurable slow-down in business across our brands, and a need for flexibility in the way we work,” according to an internal email seen by Bloomberg and confirmed by the Dubai-based airline.
2020-wuhan-novel-coronavirus-outbreak-inline

The airline asked employees to consider taking paid or unpaid leave, according to the email.

Emirates halted most flights to China and suspended operations to Iran, the epicenters of the coronavirus. It stopped flying tourists from more than 20 countries to Saudi Arabia, the carrier’s biggest market in the Middle East."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...and-for-travel

I dont expect prices to drop but will be intresting to see how long it lasts
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: Skywards Silver
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...and-for-travel

Interesting one from Bloomberg. The Saudi Arabia ban and China routes reductions surely hit its revenues significantly.

But Emirates is not alone in this, others like CX, SQ or LH Group have implemented similar measures. LH have also grounded 23 long haul planes. A very tough year for airlines and travel industry in general.

Flying to DXB & MCT in 20 days, was pondering about changing my seats in J and could not do so as J pretty full on all routes.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:36 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
This could well lead to forced leave.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 5:45 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I would have thought this was an entirely sensible decision on the part of the airline as long as the crew on my forthcoming flights don't take the leave
BadoRas likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll
I would have thought this was an entirely sensible decision on the part of the airline as long as the crew on my forthcoming flights don't take the leave
I was under the impression the unpaid leave offer initially does not extend to crew. Yet.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
I was under the impression the unpaid leave offer initially does not extend to crew. Yet.
Has now been introduced
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
Has now been introduced
That was quick

Must not have been many takers!
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Emirates Group, which runs the world’s biggest airline by international traffic, is encouraging staff to take leave as the coronavirus outbreak slows demand for travel.
Does Emirates has more international traffic than Ryanair?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by warakorn
Does Emirates has more international traffic than Ryanair?
probably based on international ASKs
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: EK Plat
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
Has now been introduced
I'd heard they were given a few extra live leave allocations but they have not been offered unpaid leave (yet)?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lkaroo
I'd heard they were given a few extra live leave allocations but they have not been offered unpaid leave (yet)?
Has been introduced to (selected perhaps?) Gr1 and gr2s, no basic, but education and housing allowance continues to exist for unpaid leave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.