Wiki Posts
Search

F Seats Blocked?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
F Seats Blocked?

I'm booked in Business from DXB-IAD early next month and have set up an auto-upgrade. Checking the seat chart on Expert Flyer, it appears all of the seats in F are blocked save for three unoccupied. I've not encountered this before and just wondering if seats are likely to unblock when this occurs?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:42 am
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Unfortunately I do not fly F enough but I have seen that 1A/2A are usually blocked on the 388 with 1A usually blocked on the 77W. However, when you call EK they will release the seat for you (at least for Plats but I'm sure Golds too)
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I did contact them just to confirm the cabin is in service (the X's are blocked seats). It is. Most likely holding on longer for the possibility of more revenue as has been speculated in other contexts. I'm not quite paranoid enough yet to think they're creating a manageable temporary enclosed place just in case they need one, but if that was the prudent thing to do I'd gladly keep my current seat.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:46 am
Suspended

2a and 2b are typically blocked for HVCs just like 14a, 16a and 18a (from memory) in J are.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:11 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Afterall
Thanks. I did contact them just to confirm the cabin is in service (the X's are blocked seats). It is. Most likely holding on longer for the possibility of more revenue as has been speculated in other contexts. I'm not quite paranoid enough yet to think they're creating a manageable temporary enclosed place just in case they need one, but if that was the prudent thing to do I'd gladly keep my current seat.
Thats a bit odd, never seen so many seats blocked before. how many F seats are they selling on that flight? can it perhaps be because they expect to swap in a 77W for some reason (just guessing)?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:52 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
I see lots of F seats blocked on various flights at the moment. I don’t quite understand what’s going on.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by S.R
Thats a bit odd, never seen so many seats blocked before. how many F seats are they selling on that flight? can it perhaps be because they expect to swap in a 77W for some reason (just guessing)?
They would do this through inventory, not seat maps
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:41 am

Programs: EK Platinum, QR Gold, LH Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Priority Pass, Global Entry
I'm booked in Business from DXB-IAD early next month and have set up an auto-upgrade. Checking the seat chart on Expert Flyer, it appears all of the seats in F are blocked save for three unoccupied. I've not encountered this before and just wondering if seats are likely to unblock when this occurs?
Yes, I'm finding this more and more with all of the EK long haul flights. On my last trip to IAD, I too had "auto-upgrade" but, it never came through. I was a bit disappointed, and then at the airport, at check-in, they agent said "no problem" and upgraded me IAD to DXB with miles. So, if you don't get the auto upgrade, make sure to ask at the airport. I've not had good success with auto upgrade, but usually get it at the airport.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all....so far I have my favorite J seat (23A) so won't suffer too much if I don't make it up front. I've also found the auto upgrade unproductive. Will report back if anything shakes loose.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:34 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Thanks to all....so far I have my favorite J seat (23A) so won't suffer too much if I don't make it up front. I've also found the auto upgrade unproductive. Will report back if anything shakes loose.
Auto upgrade only works up to T-48 hours. So if they have not released any seats in Z (or D for business) buckets, it’s not going to work. Lounge (from T-2 hours?) and on-board upgrades are ‘space available’ and therefore are not linked to any ‘bucket-availability’. At least that’s how I understand it. What happens between T- 48 and T-2 is unclear to me.
Tanzguy and Afterall like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:10 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Question

Does anyone understand why currently ALL row 2 seats on 77W flights seem to be blocked? I just did a 'random' (not statistically random, just all over the place random) search to a variety of destinations on all continents on EF and row 2 is always blocked. On the 380, either all E/F seats or the entire row 3 are blocked.
IFlyMoreThanYou, you seem to understand the 'inner workings' of EK quite well, any insights?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Does anyone understand why currently ALL row 2 seats on 77W flights seem to be blocked? I just did a 'random' (not statistically random, just all over the place random) search to a variety of destinations on all continents on EF and row 2 is always blocked. On the 380, either all E/F seats or the entire row 3 are blocked.
IFlyMoreThanYou, you seem to understand the 'inner workings' of EK quite well, any insights?
Those seats are for UMs (lucky those that fly F at that age!)
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
2a and 2b are typically blocked for HVCs just like 14a, 16a and 18a (from memory) in J are.

Ah this explains that. On 2 of my 388 flights these seats are blocked off. Wonder why those seats in particular?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Have a look at EK702 on 10 March. It changed from only 2E and 2F blocked about a week ago. l haven't seen this before.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:10 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
Those seats are for UMs (lucky those that fly F at that age!)
I would not think that ALL those seats are blocked for UM’s. 1A on 77W and 2A on 388 as far as I can remember. Half the F cabin on practically every EK flight filled with UM’s seems a bit ‘over the top’.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.