Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Flight pricing to Bangkok with Corona Virus outbreak

Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold

I'm looking to book EK DXB-BKK at the end of March (school holidays) and the flights on March 26 or 27th with a return on April 10 and the pricing remains stubbornly high despite what I believe would be pressure from the Coronavirus and the currency situation. The aircraft look more than half empty (if anyone with Expert Flyer could check loads I would appreciate it) to me. Any opinions on whether to book on Oman Air for nearly half price our hold out and see if Emirates becomes more reasonable? I don't want to miss the good fares on Oman by waiting to long but of course prefer EK if they would come anywhere near to Oman.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:31 am
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by JTPictureman
I'm looking to book EK DXB-BKK at the end of March (school holidays) and the flights on March 26 or 27th with a return on April 10 and the pricing remains stubbornly high despite what I believe would be pressure from the Coronavirus and the currency situation. The aircraft look more than half empty (if anyone with Expert Flyer could check loads I would appreciate it) to me. Any opinions on whether to book on Oman Air for nearly half price our hold out and see if Emirates becomes more reasonable? I don't want to miss the good fares on Oman by waiting to long but of course prefer EK if they would come anywhere near to Oman.
There is your answer.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:44 am

Thai New Year and Easter both in mid April will also be keeping prices up.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
There is your answer.
I understand the holidays, I'm just asking opinions to see if the planes remain empty will they reduce the price like most airlines?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:12 am
Suspended

I understand the holidays, I'm just asking opinions to see if the planes remain empty will they reduce the price like most airlines?
Fares won't drop. Availability may open up.

Not sure where you got this idea from. Pricing is based on benchmarking. It rarely has a direct relationship with how full planes are. Keep in mind fares are origin and destination based, while flights are point-to-point.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Many airlines if they have flights with lots of space are likely to offer them via agents at lower prices but I would opt for the Oman fare that you know is available
bizum likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
Fares won't drop. Availability may open up.

Not sure where you got this idea from. Pricing is based on benchmarking. It rarely has a direct relationship with how full planes are. Keep in mind fares are origin and destination based, while flights are point-to-point.
The flights to China were dropping like a rock before they cancelled them.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:08 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Looking at EF, there is enormous availability in all cabins on DXB/BKK on those dates.All the way to X9.
So I must assume that the prices you see (are you looking via the EK website) will be the lowest currently published prices, in other words there are no cheaper fare buckets that could be opened up. EK prices will not come down (as already mentioned by others above).
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Looking at EF, there is enormous availability in all cabins on DXB/BKK on those dates.All the way to X9.
So I must assume that the prices you see (are you looking via the EK website) will be the lowest currently published prices, in other words there are no cheaper fare buckets that could be opened up. EK prices will not come down (as already mentioned by others above).
EK2510 on April 10 shows saver sold out. The fare is about 400AED cheaper than it was a few days ago.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:08 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
EK2510 on April 10 shows saver sold out. The fare is about 400AED cheaper than it was a few days ago.
Sorry, I only looked at the outbounds, not sure why.
Inbound on 10 April your best bet is EK385 which has K availability. That leaves at 01:15 though, but the same flight on 11 April also has K (which I think, but speaking under correction, is the lowest Flex fare). Don't know how set you are on the 10th, on the 9th there is X availability on 385, 377 and 373
JTPictureman likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:11 am
Suspended

Fares haven't moved - availability has.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I had an occasion over Xmas where fares did drop. I was looking to change a return flex+, the day I wanted to travel was sold out three weeks out. Two weeks out the same flight showed one seat available so I changed my flight and had a fare difference of an extra 200 quid on top of an already expensive flex+ ticket. I paid it assuming I was almost guaranteed an op-up...

By OLCI flex tickets were now available and I went out in Y... felt like and was close to paying J prices for a lovely Y experience...

*As above nicely put and wrong terminology by me... fare didn’t change, availability did!
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Yield management is about maximing revenue and milking the maximum out of the pax!
A drop in demand does not automatically result in a lower price - the algorithm knows that they are still people who are willing to pay higher prices.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

And Oman Air went up 100AED today.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:59 am

OT:
EK2510 is not a regular EK number and made me think it was a codeshare, although I see it's showing as an EK flight on the OP's date. Digging around, it seems to have been the number for the RGN (Yangon) flight that now goes on to KBV (Krabi) and is operated by flydubai. What is it doing with that flight number on that date (and not the day before or after) in BKK?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.