Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

New Roll Out Of Trolley Service in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Silver, Emirates Skyward Silver, SPG Gold , IHG Spire Elite

So as if 5th Feb, I noticed staff were using a trolley to bring food and drinks, I didnt really think to much of it as I had a 1.45am flight from KUL - DXB. However later they did the same for breakfast so I did enquire to see if it is just this flight or route or something new. They mentioned EK is trialing in J across different routes. They didnt mention why or which routes but they did the same on DXB - NCL. It wasn't particularly nice seeing them pour out your soup from a thermos mug into a bowl and add condiments on top from a small plastic jar lol! This was both on an a380 and a 777. Im assuming this is to stream line efficiency in the galley or something. They did have some drinks on the trolley to but they did personally come round as usual with wine and champs and also bread (cold garlic bread on 777 and told cant have warm flat bread because it can ruin the taste of the bread LOL). So ye, would be nice if anyone else has more information. Im not really bothered but certain things dont look great when they are done in front of you.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

It's funny, but BA went the other way due to the number of seats they cram into their new planes. Trollies can no longer fit in the aisles. so everything is hand delivered as per EK. The service takes an absolute age according to reports on the BA forum.

There have also been complaints on here about how long the meal service can take on the A380, so maybe this is as a result of complaints given to EK?
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It's funny, but BA went the other way due to the number of seats they cram into their new planes. Trollies can no longer fit in the aisles. so everything is hand delivered as per EK. The service takes an absolute age according to reports on the BA forum.

There have also been complaints on here about how long the meal service can take on the A380, so maybe this is as a result of complaints given to EK?
I dont want to say too much because it was the first day of trialing this but you could see the staff suffer with this down the isle, bending down to go through the trays to see whats inside, then go back to grab something from the galley. on the 777 I didnt get my meal to at least an hour after most people but I was kicked from 1K to 11F so no surprise. Hopefully this either wont last long or it will be better lol.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Sounds rather weird and unrefined.

Though, generally, I’ve only got positive memories of the old ‘trolley service’ EK used to have way back.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:13 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
I have always enjoyed the more personalised ‘non trolley’ service on EK in J.
Unless the trolley releases some exceptional benefit I would be sorry to see the current system go!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
i Experienced it today, and i enjoyed it - service was much quicker. And the staff found it easier than going back and forth.

The staff simply trayed up your meal choice next to you, and also serviced wine/drinks at the same time. Lastly, they also did the bread service.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:59 pm
HAF

Originally Posted by xavzz
Ibut I was kicked from 1K to 11F so no surprise.
may i please ask why you were kicked off 1K - i have this seat in my upcoming flight and i am worried this happening to me too?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by HAF
may i please ask why you were kicked off 1K - i have this seat in my upcoming flight and i am worried this happening to me too?
Newcastle seems to get a mix of 2 and 3 class planes. The OP mentions he was in Business Class and 1K would be that if it was planned as a two class, but with a change to 3 class this was now an F seat so he got moved. What route are you on?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:58 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

but I was kicked from 1K to 11F so no surprise.
From a nice window F seat to arguably the worst J seat (or if it was a 2 class frame from J to Y )?

What did you do to deserve that???
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh
From a nice window F seat to arguably the worst J seat (or if it was a 2 class frame from J to Y )?

What did you do to deserve that???
I asked at Dubai why I was moved as I had already assigned my seat to 1K, they mentioned they had a group of staff on board and they sit them together at the whole row at the front :/

Yes it was not the best nor the worse seat as I had also been changed once before from assigned window seat with my mrs to both of us in separate seats and I had the middle seat on the 777 J LOL. Those days I didnt know anything or question so I just took the seat lol. a380 only next time !
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:56 am

I asked at Dubai why I was moved as I had already assigned my seat to 1K, they mentioned they had a group of staff on board and they sit them together at the whole row at the front
They're being a bit loose with their excuses. On 5/2/20, EK35 was flown by A6-EGE, a 3 Class B777-300ER. If you were booked in Business Class and had previously selected 1K, then it had been based on a 2 Class plane operating the flight. The change has lost you 1K and you've got what was left when someone/something got round to sorting things out.

Sometimes they'll use a 3 Class plane with 2 Class service, in which case you've lost on the First Class cabin seat at the whim of EK.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
They're being a bit loose with their excuses. On 5/2/20, EK35 was flown by A6-EGE, a 3 Class B777-300ER. If you were booked in Business Class and had previously selected 1K, then it had been based on a 2 Class plane operating the flight. The change has lost you 1K and you've got what was left when someone/something got round to sorting things out.

Sometimes they'll use a 3 Class plane with 2 Class service, in which case you've lost on the First Class cabin seat at the whim of EK.
This makes sense now, as I boarded I saw the F suites to the left so ye 11F there I went..
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:34 am
HAF

Originally Posted by ft101
Newcastle seems to get a mix of 2 and 3 class planes. The OP mentions he was in Business Class and 1K would be that if it was planned as a two class, but with a change to 3 class this was now an F seat so he got moved. What route are you on?
EK524 and EK525 DXB-HYD (my full itin is SFO-DXB-HYD-DXB-SFO) .... I have 1A and 1K for EK524 and EK525 - which seem to be consistently 2 class - however i got a warning when i assigned these seats that they are next to bassinets and might be moved to accommodate families traveling together .... wondering if this happens often? i won't be happy reassigned at the gate a middle seat....
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:49 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by HAF
EK524 and EK525 DXB-HYD (my full itin is SFO-DXB-HYD-DXB-SFO) .... I have 1A and 1K for EK524 and EK525 - which seem to be consistently 2 class - however i got a warning when i assigned these seats that they are next to bassinets and might be moved to accommodate families traveling together .... wondering if this happens often? i won't be happy reassigned at the gate a middle seat....
I usually get that warning when I select 6J and / or K on a 3 class frame. Have never been moved. But YMMV of course
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Just got off EK210 Newark-Athens and was surprised to see the trolley service. And the ice cold garlic bread!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.