Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAworldwide
Latest Updates On The Emirates Website for COVID-19 Can Be Found Using The Following Link:

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...tes.aspx/#3515

Updated Thursday 12th March 2020

IATA - Latest Travel News
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...pub=autodetect

Flights have been suspended to the following destinations (as of 12 March 2020)

Americas
  • Fort Lauderdale: 13 to 31 March
  • New York JFK – Milan: 11 March to 03 April
  • New York EWR – Athens: 13 March to 31 March
Europe
  • Venice: From 12 March - 03 April
  • Milan: From 13 March – 03 April
  • Bologna: From 13 March – 03 April
  • Rome: From 14 March – 03 April
  • Warsaw: From 15 March - 28 March
  • Turkey (IST/SAW): From 17 March - 31 March
Far East
  • Guangzhou: From 05 February until further notice
  • Shanghai: From 05 February until further notice
  • Bangkok - Hong Kong: From 9 March – 31 March
  • Taipei: From 16 March until further notice
Gulf, Middle East
  • Kuwait: From 14 March to 31 March
  • Tehran: From 26 February until further notice
  • Beirut: From 17 March to 31 March
  • Cairo: From 19 March to 31 March
  • Iraq: From 17 March to 31 March
  • Amman: From 17 March to 31 March
  • Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: From 09 March until further notice (except special flights from 12-15 March)
Africa
  • Casablanca: From 16 March - 31 March
Asia
  • Sialkot andPeshawar (Pakistan): From 15 March to 31 March, flights to/from Sialkot will be re-routed through Lahore, and flights to/from Peshawar will be rerouted through Islamabad. Affected customers will need to make their own way to rerouted airports and will receive an email with their rebooking details.

Rebooking and Refunds:

As detailed in the travel advisory using the Emirates link above

Dedicated Coronavirus Forum On FT

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus - Emirates

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: *A Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Ryanair Platinum
Hi guys - apologies if this has been covered.

Emirates is cancelling all flights between 25 march and 25 june. The airline however is refusing to give a refund. They are willing to give a voucher for my economy non refundable ticket but no refund. Are they allowed to do so?

They were actively giving refunds up until tuesday last week but I couldn't get through. Their policy has changed.

I understand why they want to issue vouchers but the question here is can I force them to give me a refund because they are cancelling?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:27 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Speaking of headless chickens... what a shambles, the official line keeps getting changed
Well, to be fair, EK management have got to deal with their own company’s viability but also with the inputs from a hundred or so counties, not in the least their own which has just closed down their home base. I have some sympathy here.
Wanderlust_65 likes this.

Last edited by thijsseh; Mar 23, 2020 at 4:41 am
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Speaking of headless chickens... what a shambles, the official line keeps getting changed
Well looks like the UAE authorities do not communicate decisions in advance, surely EK would have stuck to their original message/plan had it not been for requests from governments to assist in repatriation..Everywhere, countries are changing their restrictions so fast, it’s hard to keep tracks. HK and SIN now also clamping down. SQ apparently has 98% of their fleet grounded..
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by jvde

Emirates is cancelling all flights between 25 march and 25 june. The airline however is refusing to give a refund. They are willing to give a voucher for my economy non refundable ticket but no refund. Are they allowed to do so?

They were actively giving refunds up until tuesday last week but I couldn't get through. Their policy has changed.

I understand why they want to issue vouchers but the question here is can I force them to give me a refund because they are cancelling?
If you're in the EU (and it looks like you are), then yes. You can force them to issue a full refund under EU regulations. If they refuse, and you've paid by credit card, then ask the credit card company to do a charge back.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:07 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue

I'm in a similar situation, although slightly more complex. I have a multi-city trip in May: LHR-DXB, spend a few days there, then DXB-HAN, spend a few days there then return home HAN-DXB/DXB-LHR.

Emirates has cancelled the Hanoi part: DXB-HAN and HAN-DXB. But they've left the LHR-DXB and DXB-LHR legs alone. I'm hoping I can get a full refund as I really don't want to travel now.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:28 am

On the Travel Voucher web page you currently still have the option to either request a voucher or a refund (option is at bottom of web page).
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Went to talk to Emirates again just now, no full refund even if they are the ones who cancelled the flight. So for those outside EU, prepare for a long battle.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: Skywards

Can you advise where you saw it is up til 25th June? I thought it was for 2 weeks?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Spoke to Emirates twice today, and both times been refused a full refund for our cancelled ex-EU flights, as UK residents. Have been left with no choice but to pursue a chargeback with MasterCard
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by RedDevil83
Spoke to Emirates twice today, and both times been refused a full refund for our cancelled ex-EU flights, as UK residents. Have been left with no choice but to pursue a chargeback with MasterCard
I will be opening one up with Amex too.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:13 am
hsk

Programs: *A, OW, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Wanderlust_65
....request a voucher or a refund (option is at bottom of web page).
This is dangerous.

Selecting that option will give people a refund minus cancellation penalties. Am sure many people will have selected this option and not get what they wanted.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
If it's an unused ticket and bought with a credit card then its fairly straightforward.

AMEX were very good when I did this .

The problem is when you have already used part of the ticket or if you have booked via a TA
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by hsk
This is dangerous.

Selecting that option will give people a refund minus cancellation penalties. Am sure many people will have selected this option and not get what they wanted.
The problem I faced is that the Emirates Customer Service Agent said I would be waivered for any cancellation fees.
If they process it and deduct fees I have informed Amex and they said Emirates should listen back to their recorded calls and follow through.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:23 am

All airlines of course prefer to issue travel vouchers with up to 12 months validity (cash flow) but the majority of them also do offer refunds (LX for example is desperately trying to avoid doing so, but that’s another topic). The situation is so fluid and fast moving and airlines just try to catch up as fast as they can.

This is a force majeure situation, none of the airlines purposely cancel their flights, they are forced to do so by circumstances beyond their control (COVID-19 and worldwide travel restrictions).

I have handed a claim to my travel insurance (not EK related) and hope to get a reimbursement for deducted fees on a refund.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by RedDevil83
Good. The more people that do this, the sooner Emirates will change this ridiculous policy.

I believe Emirates will be charged a fee on top of the refund for the charge back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.