Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

How early to check bags at DXB, use F lounge, then leave airport & reenter in AM??

How early to check bags at DXB, use F lounge, then leave airport & reenter in AM??

Old Jan 19, 20, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National EE, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

33 hour stopover with a hotel reservation nearby. I arrive at 0600 and depart the next day at 1500, DXB-ZRH. Flying F. Planning to spend the day sightseeing in Dubai and was interested in returning to the lounge that night to have dinner and drinks. Will I be able to check my bags in, access the lounge, and then leave for the evening only return for my flight the next day?
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:24 pm

Programs: EK iO
I guess technically you could. Just walk back to security the same way you came from after your dinner. However, I'm not sure if you can even get there in practice - I've seen immigration staff not let people through this early (in your case, the night before a 3pm departure)

With so many great restaurants in Dubai, why would you want to do this anyway?
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou View Post
I guess technically you could. Just walk back to security the same way you came from after your dinner. However, I'm not sure if you can even get there in practice - I've seen immigration staff not let people through this early (in your case, the night before a 3pm departure)

With so many great restaurants in Dubai, why would you want to do this anyway?
My hotel is across the street, and from what I understand the food is good and the wine selection is great? It would also be nice to get rid of my checked baggage (skis) and not deal with it the morning before the flight.
Old Jan 19, 20, 10:00 pm

While the food isn't bad, I would recommend just going to Downtown (15min) and pick a restaurant there. I don't drink so cannot comment on alcohol selection.

Luggage can only be checked 24h before departure, so you would have to wait for this anyway.
Old Jan 19, 20, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

While the food isn't bad, I would recommend just going to Downtown (15min) and pick a restaurant there. I don't drink so cannot comment on alcohol selection.

Luggage can only be checked 24h before departure, so you would have to wait for this anyway.
I also happen to enjoy the pulse of airport lounges and loath paying restaurants 3-4x retail for vino.

By the time I would return to have dinner it would be within the T-24 period.
Old Jan 20, 20, 12:16 am

One can go through immigration within 10 hours of flight departure (so I've been told on various occasions), however 11-12 hours beforehand (I couldn't nail down the exact timing) I've been allowed through (by machine). Lounges access(via dragon (or gate in BJ lounge)) in my experience has always been 24 hours beforefand.
Old Jan 20, 20, 2:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Just walk back to security the same way you came from after your dinner.
That wouldn't work, as they'd be bypassing immigration.

They'd need to go the wrong way through transit security to get into the arrivals stream. Then go back through immigration.

As has been said, it's a lot of faffing about for free food and drink.

OP - if you're at the Le Meridien, there are 15 restaurants on site. And the food will be better than the F lounge in most if not all of these.
Old Jan 20, 20, 7:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
With an opportunity to pick from the fabulous range of eating options available in Dubai, seems such a shame to restrict yourself to an airport lounge (not to mention all the hassle of entry / exit - even if feasible).
NoY and dubaiblue like this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 11:13 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Gold, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
An interesting scenario.

Can you legally pass through immigration if you have no intention to fly?
Old Jan 20, 20, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by WLG Base View Post
An interesting scenario.

Illegal in certain countries, not sure about UAE.

Spending so much on a F class ticket but not wanting to spend on wine in a restaurant does sound ridiculous to me, though.
m3red and Will08 like this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 11:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm Club, AS MVP, EK Skywards Blue, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold Elite
Originally Posted by WLG Base View Post
An interesting scenario.

Varies from airport to airport.

Some US airports are now encouraging non passengers to visit and allow it:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/air...rough-security

Meanwhile Changi will prosecute you if you attempt to go airside with no intention of flying:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/s...est/index.html

Not sure of DXB's rules. The only exception is an airside pass holder but that is obviously restricted.

I disagree with the US way as it just clogs up security for air travellers and in my experience US airports aren't very quick at security anyway. Also why would you want to spend time in an airport like DXB or TPA?

Last edited by cargueiro; Jan 20, 20 at 11:31 pm
Old Jan 23, 20, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Illegal in certain countries, not sure about UAE.

Spending so much on a F class ticket but not wanting to spend on wine in a restaurant does sound ridiculous to me, though.
Always excited to read the unsolicited opinion. Also, who in their right mind would pay for first class?
Old Jan 24, 20, 1:54 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by DannyBoy9 View Post
Always excited to read the unsolicited opinion. Also, who in their right mind would pay for first class?
Lots of people actually
thijsseh, m3red, Nizar and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 20, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by DannyBoy9 View Post
Those two sentences one after another are a bit ironic.
thijsseh and Will08 like this.
Old Jan 24, 20, 10:37 am

Programs: EK Plat
Using the egates, I have never had an issue arriving at the airport with a boarding pass and using the egates - a few years ago I went through at around T-24 to catch up with a friend who was transiting.

However, during the recent rain debacle, after changing my flight I could not re-enter the UAE (either egate or immigration official) without visiting the Emirates Dubai Connect desk who took my passport to the customs officials to fix this. I had been in the airport for around five hours at this point and I do not know if this a recent development or due to the particular circumstance.

To add to the general comment above, if my friend had not been transiting at an antisocial hour where most restaurants were closed, I generally agree with the above sentiment that you can eat better elsewhere in Dubai. The food in the lounge is ok at best and it can be a lottery as to whether or not there are good wine offerings.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: