Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

How early to check bags at DXB, use F lounge, then leave airport & reenter in AM??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How early to check bags at DXB, use F lounge, then leave airport & reenter in AM??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Lkaroo
Using the egates, I have never had an issue arriving at the airport with a boarding pass and using the egates - a few years ago I went through at around T-24 to catch up with a friend who was transiting.

However, during the recent rain debacle, after changing my flight I could not re-enter the UAE (either egate or immigration official) without visiting the Emirates Dubai Connect desk who took my passport to the customs officials to fix this. I had been in the airport for around five hours at this point and I do not know if this a recent development or due to the particular circumstance.

To add to the general comment above, if my friend had not been transiting at an antisocial hour where most restaurants were closed, I generally agree with the above sentiment that you can eat better elsewhere in Dubai. The food in the lounge is ok at best and it can be a lottery as to whether or not there are good wine offerings.
Compared to most of the competition, even the worst wines will be better

Some airline's offerings are Bloody Awful.
m3red likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DannyBoy9
My hotel is across the street, and from what I understand the food is good and the wine selection is great? It would also be nice to get rid of my checked baggage (skis) and not deal with it the morning before the flight.
I have never understood the desire to spend so much time in airport lounges. For me they are a means to an end, a bit of food and a shower to kill sometime between two flights.

What is the difference between bringing back your skis in the evening to check them in prior to trying to go in the lounge for food and taking them the next day when you arrive for your flight? As you say you are just across the road? And why will you be back at the airport in the morning if your flight is at 3pm?? Have you been in the F lounge before? I ask because I don't know what you are expecting to warrant spending so much time in there!?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Will08
I have never understood the desire to spend so much time in airport lounges. For me they are a means to an end, a bit of food and a shower to kill sometime between two flights.
I'm all for going to a lounge early if I've got time. Free decent wine and food is a great incentive. I used to regularly arrive at the Priviuum lounge at AMS at 13:00 for a 22:00 flight... Work until 17:00 and have a few calls before getting stuck into Netflix or whatever.

However, there are limits to the hoops I'd jump through...
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National EE, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

What is the difference between bringing back your skis in the evening to check them in prior to trying to go in the lounge for food and taking them the next day when you arrive for your flight? As you say you are just across the road? And why will you be back at the airport in the morning if your flight is at 3pm?? Have you been in the F lounge before? I ask because I don't know what you are expecting to warrant spending so much time in there!?

Does someone truly need to understand someone else's desires....unless you're interested in sharing a bed?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
The day I decide to leave a thriving city or any city for that matter, to head to an airport to enjoy the 'pulse' of the lounge, is the day I know I am failing at life.
subject2load likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National EE, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
The day I decide to leave a thriving city or any city for that matter, to head to an airport to enjoy the 'pulse' of the lounge, is the day I know I am failing at life.

You spend some of your time in Manchester, you're already failing, bru.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I do not think I would risk it (and agree with others about why bother) as generally airports are not geared up for individual passengers exiting the departure area. What if they refused to let you out and you have left stuff in the hotel
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:16 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DannyBoy9
33 hour stopover with a hotel reservation nearby. I arrive at 0600 and depart the next day at 1500, DXB-ZRH. Flying F. Planning to spend the day sightseeing in Dubai and was interested in returning to the lounge that night to have dinner and drinks. Will I be able to check my bags in, access the lounge, and then leave for the evening only return for my flight the next day?
perhaps we can set up a just giving page for your dinner?

2 hours is the maximum time to spend in the lounge (before your flight) - the suggestion is really ridiculous
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by m3red
perhaps we can set up a just giving page for your dinner?

2 hours is the maximum time to spend in the lounge (before your flight) - the suggestion is really ridiculous
’Ridiculous’ seems an apt description.

Although .......... never underestimate the extremes to which a number of travellers will go, just for free some free food
Will08 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
’Ridiculous’ seems an apt description.

Although .......... never underestimate the extremes to which a number of travellers will go, just for free some free food
but not those traveling first one would have thought but then again......
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by amnicoll
but not those traveling first one would have thought but then again......
Indeed ! And like I said .... never underestimate .....

This has just reminded me of another lounge-related / free food scenario, but even more wacky than this one.

A week or so ago, a Norway-based poster over on the BAEC forum was discussing plans to fly across from Oslo to LHR, with a friend, purely for the purpose of spending virtually a whole day in BA Galleries F lounge at T5 (and, IIRC, trying to access lounges at T3 also), and then .....simply flying back to Oslo. He had apparently done something similar at least once before at LHR, and found it preferable to patronising Oslo restaurants. And remember this was a BA lounge (as distinct from something with the quality of say CX @ HKG, QF @ SYD or EK @ DXB etc ....). Just when you thought you’d heard it all .........
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:48 am

This has just reminded me of another lounge-related / free food scenario, but even more wacky than this one.

A week or so ago, a Norway-based poster over on the BAEC forum was discussing plans to fly across from Oslo to LHR, with a friend, purely for the purpose of spending virtually a whole day in BA Galleries F lounge at T5 (and, IIRC, trying to access lounges at T3 also), and then .....simply flying back to Oslo. He had apparently done something similar at least once before at LHR, and found it preferable to patronising Oslo restaurants. And remember this was a BA lounge (as distinct from something with the quality of say CX @ HKG, QF @ SYD or EK @ DXB etc ....). Just when you thought you’d heard it all .........
was there not a guy in China who bought a fully transferable first class ticket who checked in every day and used the lounge and then hanged his ticket for another day?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by amnicoll
was there not a guy in China who bought a fully transferable first class ticket who checked in every day and used the lounge and then hanged his ticket for another day?
Yes
https://viewfromthewing.com/one-airl...eat-free-year/

this is similar - very disingenuous
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:33 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK

And he would fly BA there and back, I guess.
I admit to flying BA short haul myself from time to time, but this is mind boggling.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:26 pm

I imagine you could get airside, using the smart gates. I have done it several times without having to show a BP. Getting into the lounge and getting back landside might be more tricky.

Personally I don't think Dubai is the place to try this out. The response can be unpredictable and even a 33 hour layover could go quickly if you were detained.

I'm not sure whether OP's desire for a free meal or to enjoy the (ahem) vibe in the lounge would be considered a valid reason for trying to game the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.