Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK luggage question during layover

Old Jan 18, 20, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club

Hello all,

We will be traveling on Emirates back to Chicago from Hyderabad in a few weeks. For the HYD-DXB-ORD flight, we have a 21 hour layover in Dubai. Since we are 4 people, we will have 8 suitcases. My question is can we check in 7 suitcases in HYD and then add one more after the layover in Dubai? If not, can we check in 8 suitcases in HYD and then have 1 suitcase picked up at DXB then rechecked before the next flight? Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 20, 9:19 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by chicagodesi View Post
Hello all,

We will be traveling on Emirates back to Chicago from Hyderabad in a few weeks. For the HYD-DXB-ORD flight, we have a 21 hour layover in Dubai. Since we are 4 people, we will have 8 suitcases. My question is can we check in 7 suitcases in HYD and then add one more after the layover in Dubai? If not, can we check in 8 suitcases in HYD and then have 1 suitcase picked up at DXB then rechecked before the next flight? Thanks!
I've had no issue adding a checked bad in DXB assuming it is within your allowance. EK generally will not short check bags to avoid skiplagging.
Old Jan 18, 20, 11:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Recently, during a one day stopover in Dubai I wanted to collect one bag and keep one bag at the airport.

It wasn't possible to split up the baggage. I could either collect both, or leave both.
Old Jan 19, 20, 5:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Longton View Post
Recently, during a one day stopover in Dubai I wanted to collect one bag and keep one bag at the airport.

It wasn't possible to split up the baggage. I could either collect both, or leave both.
The difference will be that there is more than one person. So, they can split bags. One person can check the single bag just to DXB, whereas the other people check theirs all the way. However, as has been said, EK may not allow short checking anyway.
Old Jan 19, 20, 6:38 am

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
The difference will be that there is more than one person. So, they can split bags. One person can check the single bag just to DXB, whereas the other people check theirs all the way. However, as has been said, EK may not allow short checking anyway.
While I was thinking the same, I think in this case it won't apply: with 8(!) suitcases among 4 people I don't think splitting is an option.

To add, and take this with a grain of salt as this may be a classic case of observation bias, but on the few occasions I actually check in luggage, I have had no problem short checking.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: