Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK748 aborted landing in DXB on Dec 28

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Was on EK748 from Tunis to Dubai on Dec 28. We were landing way ahead of schedule, and suddenly, during the final approach to the runway, the pilot pulled up and decided to turn around instead. The crew acted like nothing happened and half of us were like what the *** was going on. A few minutes later, the pilot came to announce something to the effect of "The President's plane was in front of us and required space and we are the victim of this." (Not sure if I heard the words correctly.) What would he be referring to and should ATC have done something about this beforehand so that a plane did not have to turn around ?

When we landed 12 minutes later, everyone clapped.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Why would a passenger plane arrive so close to the President's plane? Not sure how things work there, but it would be prudent for ATC to hold regular arrivals and takeoffs for a block of time.

Under normal circumstance, go arounds are quite normal. On a recent CX flight arriving in JFK, the pilot decided to perform a go around because the perceding arrival plane was taking too long pulling out of an active runway. Even more recently, I was on an HX flight which incurred not one but two go arounds due to wind shear at PEK. We diverted to TSN. No one clapped on either flight, pretty normal stuff IMO.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:23 pm

Sounds doubtful. The President (Sh Khalifa) rarely travels due to health and when he does it is from Abu Dhabi Al Bateen.

More likely to be a member of the Dubai family. Their travel is relatively low key (as in little publicity) but I'm sure there are security protocols which may have caused a go around.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by simons1
Sounds doubtful. The President (Sh Khalifa) rarely travels due to health and when he does it is from Abu Dhabi Al Bateen.

More likely to be a member of the Dubai family. Their travel is relatively low key (as in little publicity) but I'm sure there are security protocols which may have caused a go around.
The President's plane does not necessarily have to have the President onboard.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:54 pm

The President could just as easily be Tim Clark but I don't think he requires more space than you or I.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:52 am

Air Force One ?
Was Trump in the Middle East for a secret visit to the US forces in Iraq ?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
Originally Posted by ft101
The President could just as easily be Tim Clark but I don't think he requires more space than you or I.
He normally flies scheduled-I've seen him a few times in/out of BHX
SS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.