Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2020

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2020

Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by Metanoia
That sounds painful, at my peak I was doing this trip once every couple months! Always to the west coast though.

These are good tips! I'm guessing you're more of a morning person? I wouldn't be able to go to sleep any earlier than 11pm most nights, but I guess I only sleep 5 hours before departing DXB. Just have to move it up a few hours.
I usually sleep at 7-8 and rise at 3am .. one of the reasons why I love 3am departures, almost get a full night's sleep in for me!
Metanoia and ukdoctor like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:21 am

i'm flying EK from BNE to LHR transiting in DXB. i'm a little nervous about the transit as i've never done one before. is it hard? i know i'll ahve to clear security. i guess i'm concerned i'll get lost or something
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:25 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Tejas
i'm flying EK from BNE to LHR transiting in DXB. i'm a little nervous about the transit as i've never done one before. is it hard? i know i'll ahve to clear security. i guess i'm concerned i'll get lost or something
Hi Tejas, welcome to FlyerTalk and to the Emirates forum in particular.

Although DXB is a massive airport, you will find transferring there easy, many thousands of people do this every day.

You may arrive at either a bus or an airbridge stand. In the case of a bus stand you will be taken by bus on a ride along the airport, this can take quite a bit of time, depending on where the incoming flight was parked. There may well be different buses, and there may be signs showing which bus to take for a certain connection. So in that case look out for a sign to London or LHR. The bus will drop you at the terminal and you follow the 'connections' signs which will lead you to security. If you had an airbridge arrival, you will get to transit security as well. Security is usually quite thorough but fast, especially as these days you don't have to remove laptops from your luggage. The usual rules w.r.t. liquids etc apply.
After security, look up your connecting flight on one of the many displays, see what the gate is and go there. Depending on where you arrived it may be a short walk, a long walk or even a ride on the underground train (between concourse A and B). Everything is well signposted and it is easy although it can appear a bit daunting due to the size and number of people.
You'll be fine! In the unlikely case of being confused, just ask.
Enjoy!
Silverswimmer and Tejas like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:49 am

I agree. I did the transit a couple of weeks ago (HYD -> JFK). I ended up taking a bus. At the bottom of the stairs, employees directed me to the bus to take. Once I got to the terminal, the signage was good and I had no problem getting to my gate. Overall, I had no problem. Just be aware that the trek can take a while (around 30 minutes in my case).
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:56 am

My first Emirates flight is coming up soon. I am flying JFK-DXB and return in first class, but am travelling with friend stuck in Y on the same flights. I have been reading this helpful forum, but haven't been able to fine a clear answer to a few questions so I thought this might be a good place to ask. Will my friend be able to join me on limo transport to and from airport? Also, will he able able to enter first class lounge in Dubai with me? Thanks for help!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:39 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by troutdoc
My first Emirates flight is coming up soon. I am flying JFK-DXB and return in first class, but am travelling with friend stuck in Y on the same flights. I have been reading this helpful forum, but haven't been able to fine a clear answer to a few questions so I thought this might be a good place to ask. Will my friend be able to join me on limo transport to and from airport? Also, will he able able to enter first class lounge in Dubai with me? Thanks for help!
Answer to both is yes.

Limo is fine for two, it's not a published benefit but it will work out fine. Mrs t and I often travel together (in J, usually) and only book one car (we could have two). The driver (expecting one passenger ) never queries that there is a second person. They (in LGW, AMS, CPT) always call 24 course before to check how many passengers and how much luggage (so they can send the correct type of vehicle).

In F you can have ONE guest into the lounge (as far as I understand, never actually done this).
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:54 pm

thanks so much - i guess my concern was to do with transiting in a country that is not my destination (last time i did it was in LAX where my final destination was JFK). you've definitly put my mind at ease
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
...Security is usually quite thorough but fast, especially as these days you don't have to remove laptops from your luggage. The usual rules w.r.t. liquids etc apply...
Just transited through DXB yesterday and although security was ok they did make us remove our laptops and even take off watches.

Other than that the signage was easy to follow and you don't need to worry about getting lost.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
Just transited through DXB yesterday and although security was ok they did make us remove our laptops and even take off watches.
There's often someone shouting to take out laptops but they don't worry if you don't IME. Watches are obvious as they'll set off alarms.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by ft101
There's often someone shouting to take out laptops but they don't worry if you don't IME. Watches are obvious as they'll set off alarms.
Ah, if I'd know that I would have left it inside because it was a real pain. Was my first time through DXB. Since I have Pre-check I had packed it all the way at the bottom of my suitcase so I was annoyed to have to pull it out. Oh well, will know for next time.

The watch was no big deal, just wasn't used to having to remove it - not only in the USA at precheck lanes but even coming from European cities as well as Hong Kong I never removed it.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:06 am
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by friedablass
Ah, if I'd know that I would have left it inside because it was a real pain. Was my first time through DXB. Since I have Pre-check I had packed it all the way at the bottom of my suitcase so I was annoyed to have to pull it out. Oh well, will know for next time.

The watch was no big deal, just wasn't used to having to remove it - not only in the USA at precheck lanes but even coming from European cities as well as Hong Kong I never removed it.
Why would you assume pre check has any relevance in DXB?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
Perhaps he got excited when he saw "TSA PRECHK" at the top of his BP leaving DXB. For whatever reason, Precheck still prints on flights TO the US, at least for me... EK IT strikes again.
BadoRas likes this.

Last edited by Metanoia; Feb 7, 2020 at 10:58 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
It doesn't. But coming from the USA it did and I was just explaining why I was annoyed to have to pull out my laptop from the bottom of my carry on, which I put there because I previously didn't have to take it out and I wasn't thinking about going through security again in DXB.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:30 pm

Hello and questions about Emirates bus

Hello, first time flying with EK in April with my daughter.

BNE, DXB, DUB, straightforward economy Qantas reward flight.

Then LHR to DXB in economy (Qantas reward flight), from DXB I'll visit my brother in Abu Dhabi, hopefully catching the free bus, but Emirates won't let me book the bus as I booked through Qantas and Qantas say they can't book the bus. The Emirates website says you must have a booking for the bus. Has anyone taken the bus successfully without a booking, is it normally busy or are there plenty of free seats? (We arrive on a Friday morning).

I also want to catch the bus from Abu Dhabi back to DXB for my flight to SYD, this time though my flight is in Business (another Qantas reward booking). As it is a reward booking I can't get the chauffeur service but the bus is supposed to be for economy ticket holders only. Will I be able to take the bus without a booking and with a business ticket? Would be a Sunday evening bus as the flight is 2am Monday.

Thank you all for any help
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh
In F you can have ONE guest into the lounge (as far as I understand, never actually done this).
Can anyone confirm this please? I'll be flying with my friend and this would be a massive benefit to us. I thought the only way I could get lounge access for them would be if I had status (which I'll only have after I've taken my flight in F)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.