Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates economy seating strategy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Emirates economy seating strategy

Flying my first ultra-longhaul in economy (the horror) and curious about the thoughts here on seat selection. Does Emirates typically fill back to front? If I'm trying to get an empty neighbor seat (or even entire row), is paying the extra bucks for preferred seats (in the first cabin of Economy) a good strategy versus assigning a seat elsewhere?

Flying an A380 and all the bulkheads/row 68 are blocked, as is everything from row 80 backwards. Any thoughts on my best bet here?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:29 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Flying my first ultra-longhaul in economy (the horror) and curious about the thoughts here on seat selection. Does Emirates typically fill back to front? If I'm trying to get an empty neighbor seat (or even entire row), is paying the extra bucks for preferred seats (in the first cabin of Economy) a good strategy versus assigning a seat elsewhere?

Flying an A380 and all the bulkheads/row 68 are blocked, as is everything from row 80 backwards. Any thoughts on my best bet here?
Be aware that using the Emirates app on your smartphone you can 'seat hop' as much as you want, even after OLCI. So keep on watching that seat map and when some horrible person snatches the empty seat next to you, move yourself to a better place. Repeat if / when necessary. If you use a printed BP, the scanner at the gate will beep. Sadly this does not mean an upgrade in this case but just a 'misalignment' in seat allocation and you will get the correct BP. If you use the BP in the app, it will automatically change to reflect the new seat.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Be aware that using the Emirates app on your smartphone you can 'seat hop' as much as you want, even after OLCI. So keep on watching that seat map and when some horrible person snatches the empty seat next to you, move yourself to a better place. Repeat if / when necessary. If you use a printed BP, the scanner at the gate will beep. Sadly this does not mean an upgrade in this case but just a 'misalignment' in seat allocation and you will get the correct BP. If you use the BP in the app, it will automatically change to reflect the new seat.
Just to add to this: I wouldnt pay extra for an extra legroom seat. Check in staff give these away for free and since these are desirable I often find myself (having assigned one of those seats) with neighbours, I would say you have more chance to get a row of 3/4 by picking one of the last rows and hoping for the best.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:01 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
Just to add to this: I wouldnt pay extra for an extra legroom seat. Check in staff give these away for free and since these are desirable I often find myself (having assigned one of those seats) with neighbours, I would say you have more chance to get a row of 3/4 by picking one of the last rows and hoping for the best.
There have been reports of passengers being asked to move out of these seats if they have not paid for them. It could be over zealous cabin crew but as EK now see this as a valid revenue generator they may well enforce it.
Will08 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Saltire74
There have been reports of passengers being asked to move out of these seats if they have not paid for them. It could be over zealous cabin crew but as EK now see this as a valid revenue generator they may well enforce it.
That's true - onboard you still have to pay (as well as pre-olci). at the physical check in desk, they will give them away for free.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:35 am

Is it required to pay for exit seats as well? I tried my luck last time but didnt get it. Any luck for getting those seats esp for long flights from dubai to US
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
That's true - onboard you still have to pay (as well as pre-olci). at the physical check in desk, they will give them away for free.
I don’t think this is the case anymore unless the policy has changed back? Obviously as plat you get them for free but when I was gold I was unable to get those seats when the new policy came in.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Will08
I don’t think this is the case anymore unless the policy has changed back? Obviously as plat you get them for free but when I was gold I was unable to get those seats when the new policy came in.
I was as surprised as you are, but this does seem to be the policy. Paid up to T-3, free between T-3 and T-1 (but only at the check in desk, where the agent needs to get the seat released) then paid again onboard. I've checked this at several out stations seperately as well as at DXB, so I am inclined to think this iinformation is correct. If it isn't please correct me.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:35 pm

I was as surprised as you are, but this does seem to be the policy. Paid up to T-3, free between T-3 and T-1 (but only at the check in desk, where the agent needs to get the seat released) then paid again onboard. I've checked this at several out stations seperately as well as at DXB, so I am inclined to think this iinformation is correct. If it isn't please correct me.
I agree and have been told the same by the ticket desk staff at my home airport. Previously going to the ticket desk and making your request before check in opened almost guaranteed you exit row as others with the same aim were mostly in the check in queue. Now it's join the queue, but at least status means your queue should be minimal.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I can only talk from experience (I posted it on here at the time), I checked in and requested an exit row seat and the check in agent gave it to me. As I went to board my ticked beeped at the gate but it wasn’t the good beep... my ticket had been changed and when I got on board they refused to allow me to sit there and the seat remained empty. The purser explained at the time that this was new policy and you now had to pay for the seats or they would remain empty. She explained that the check in agent should not have given the seat to me at check in.

I have been plat since last august though so like I said the policy may have changed back since then.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 4:03 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Personally, I don't think there is a strategy to be followed, just luck of the draw. I usually book Aisle and Window so the dreaded middle seat isn't selected then we get the row to ourselves, but 9/10 somebody picks it for some reason. I have even then offered that individual to swap the middle for window or aisle and they refused sticking to the dreaded middle seat!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.