Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgraded IFE ORD-DXB?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2019, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club
Upgraded IFE ORD-DXB?

Hello all,

We will be flying Emirates in January Chicago to Dubai in economy. Does anyone know if they are running planes with the new/refreshed IFE screens? Last time we flew in Emirates from Chicago was in 2016 and they had the older screens. Thanks!!
Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:32 am

You can check here:

Emirates Routes

DXB-ORD (EK235/EK236) gets the new business class cabin, which will include the latest IFE as well.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club
Sweet!! Looking forward to it, thanks so much for the info! Has anyone flown this route recently in the refreshed cabin in Y? Just curious to get a review.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by chicagodesi
Sweet!! Looking forward to it, thanks so much for the info! Has anyone flown this route recently in the refreshed cabin in Y? Just curious to get a review.
Have flown this route a bunch (but not in Y...).

Nothing special about ORD check-in. The lounge EK uses is the Air France/KLM lounge (and Priority Pass, but could be capacity controlled), so small and nothing special and gets crowded depending on flight shedules. My friend recommends the little bar island after security. Bar tender is good and friendly.

Seats in Y on the newest 777s are largely similar to what you've had before. Config is standard EK 3-4-3 so not that wide, but good legroom for Y standards. The screens, however, are impressively large for Y class. Basically looks like a large edge to edge tablet.

Service will be dinner, light bites(pizza), breakfast. More details here: https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/experience/woyf/

IFE is packed as always. Lots of movies, of course, but check out the TV series. I like to binge on box sets on ULH flights. There's a dedicated HBO section, for example.

You will land at DXB in early evening, which is generally a quiet time of the day.

Have good fight!
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by extramileage
Have flown this route a bunch (but not in Y...).

Nothing special about ORD check-in. The lounge EK uses is the Air France/KLM lounge (and Priority Pass, but could be capacity controlled), so small and nothing special and gets crowded depending on flight shedules. My friend recommends the little bar island after security. Bar tender is good and friendly.

Seats in Y on the newest 777s are largely similar to what you've had before. Config is standard EK 3-4-3 so not that wide, but good legroom for Y standards. The screens, however, are impressively large for Y class. Basically looks like a large edge to edge tablet.

Service will be dinner, light bites(pizza), breakfast. More details here: https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/experience/woyf/

IFE is packed as always. Lots of movies, of course, but check out the TV series. I like to binge on box sets on ULH flights. There's a dedicated HBO section, for example.

You will land at DXB in early evening, which is generally a quiet time of the day.

Have good fight!
Appreciate the details! We'll be travelling with 2 kids, ages 5 and 8. Hoping for a semi-empty flight so that we can spread out a little bit.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum; Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Appreciate the details! We'll be travelling with 2 kids, ages 5 and 8. Hoping for a semi-empty flight so that we can spread out a little bit.
it gets lighter on loads later in January (3rd week onwards)
Old Dec 25, 2019, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by torontoflyer
it gets lighter on loads later in January (3rd week onwards)
That would be great! Does anyone have a strategy for claiming an empty row? Do you wait until after take off? For a 14 hour overnight flight, I'm assuming quite a few people will also be eying any empty rows. Also, do there tend to be more empty rows towards the back of the plane?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:56 am

That would be great! Does anyone have a strategy for claiming an empty row? Do you wait until after take off? For a 14 hour overnight flight, I'm assuming quite a few people will also be eying any empty rows. Also, do there tend to be more empty rows towards the back of the plane?
yes, usually more room in the back, but the 777s aren't *that* big (I realize how that sounds...) once you take out F and J. Maybe reserve seats closer to back? Also worth asking the crew during boarding.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:57 am

Kid-sized headphones are a good investment if they don't have any.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Kid-sized headphones are a good investment if they don't have any.
Agreed! The kids have their own headphones while the wife and I have noise cancelling headphones.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:06 am
Original Poster

yes, usually more room in the back, but the 777s aren't *that* big (I realize how that sounds...) once you take out F and J. Maybe reserve seats closer to back? Also worth asking the crew during boarding.
*sigh* the things you have to do when you fly economy! It's well worth the adventure though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.