Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

New EK A380 bar coming in late 2020-early 2021

Old Dec 11, 19, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Sir Tim Clark describes the third-generation bar/lounge area as "a step change in what we're doing. It'll be very, very, very attractive, I can assure you." The new space will include an enlarged seating area plus AC/USB power points added around the tables. I'm hoping that we will get the first of the new look bars at the back end of next year or the beginning of 2021, Clark confirms.

More at https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...irbus-a380-bar
Old Dec 11, 19, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Also, for those who didn't know this little snippet of history:

When the bar was first introduced into the Emirates fleet, the airline hedged its bets by planning ahead for the bar's removal in case the space didn’t prove popular enough with passengers.
“I designed the bar at the back of the aircraft on the upper deck, on the understanding that if it didn't work, we could remove it in 96 hours and put eight more business class seats in,” Clark says. This is why Emirates’ oldest A380s have overhead lockers in the bar area – to make that transition quick and easy if the bar were to be ripped out.
Of course, once Emirates saw of the bar’s success, future A380s were delivered without those lockers, creating a more open environment and with more room for standing passengers.
Old Dec 11, 19, 4:56 pm

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
I cannot see why they would want to change it-the new upgraded version works perfectly.
SS
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:46 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Silverswimmer View Post
I cannot see why they would want to change it-the new upgraded version works perfectly.
SS
As does the original IMO.
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:49 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Aren't the last deliveries in 2021? So, it would be installed on maybe 10 planes at most.

Similar to the "Game Changer" suites. A good marketing gimmick that applies to a small number of flights.
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Silverswimmer View Post
SS
The railway carriage seating got a lot of slating when it was introduced due to not being conducive to striking up conversations like the old bench seats. Once one person sits down, no one ever joins them.
Old Dec 11, 19, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Aren't the last deliveries in 2021? So, it would be installed on maybe 10 planes at most.

Similar to the "Game Changer" suites. A good marketing gimmick that applies to a small number of flights.
I can't read the article (ad blocked) but does it give any indication if it's retro-fittable to older aircraft?
Old Dec 11, 19, 7:56 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Gold
I can't even remember the last time I visited the bar. I generally like to stay to myself, so have no desire to socialize with random passengers, and if I want to drink I can do so in my suite. For people like me a new bar is a waste. I really wish they would just throw the new F suites on the A380s but I think we already have confirmation that won't be happening right?
Tanzguy, hijiji and Will08 like this.
Old Dec 11, 19, 8:15 pm

Programs: EK platinum
Originally Posted by S.R View Post
I can't even remember the last time I visited the bar. I generally like to stay to myself, so have no desire to socialize with random passengers, and if I want to drink I can do so in my suite. For people like me a new bar is a waste. I really wish they would just throw the new F suites on the A380s but I think we already have confirmation that won't be happening right?
Totally agree. I just stay in the suite. From observation, not many F passengers go down there. The odd donk makes the trip there in pyjamas but not many.

I read somewhere that Emirates had made it clear that there would be no retrofitting of A380s with the new F suite.
Tanzguy, gillyd22 and Will08 like this.
Old Dec 11, 19, 9:25 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
When you have a toddler the bar is a life saver - anyone on my xmas flights will attest
Bouncingsouls and SightseeMC like this.
Old Dec 12, 19, 2:05 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
When you have a toddler the bar is a life saver - anyone on my xmas flights will attest
What do you mean? Taking the toddler to the bar or leaving it behind in F?
Old Dec 12, 19, 3:05 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Will08 View Post
What do you mean? Taking the toddler to the bar or leaving it behind in F?
Taking from F to the bar.

i have 9 hours odd with him to Tokyo in Feb on the 777, Ill have to make my own bar!
Old Dec 12, 19, 3:29 am
NoY

Programs: BA Emerald, TP *A Gold, EY Gold, QR bye bye, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Marriott Plat
EK would be better directing these $$$ towards up to date J seating on the B777 fleet & its antiquated 2-3-2 layout @:-)
Old Dec 12, 19, 3:39 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
I can't read the article (ad blocked) but does it give any indication if it's retro-fittable to older aircraft?
No, the article does not mention upgrading. And upgrading old layouts is not something EK tends to do (with exception of the 772's). So I agree that only the last few 380's seem to get this new lounge area and that it therefore is more a marketing hype than anything else. I prefer the 'old' style over the 'railway carriage style'. It is more conducive to interaction. I have been to the bar on my (admittedly) few F flights. No, not in my PJ's! But I enjoyed the 'leg stretch' and the opportunity to have a chat. Each to his own, I guess.
Old Dec 12, 19, 3:40 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
Taking from F to the bar.

i have 9 hours odd with him to Tokyo in Feb on the 777, Ill have to make my own bar!

New F, I hope. Then it might just work....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: