Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Biometrics installation at Gate B lounge

Old Dec 6, 19, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards

Just noticed this and i was allowed into the lounge despite having 20 mins before the cut off for my flight ‘gate closes...’

it was nice and smooth but as the gate doors opened and i walked through it, the automated voiced said “please take off your glasses and hat” - of which i wasn't wearing either

interesting also as Gate A didnt have it (yes i was touring the concourse).

Last edited by S c 0 TT y; Dec 6, 19 at 6:42 am
Old Dec 6, 19, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y View Post

Just noticed this and i was allowed into the lounge despite having 20 mins before the cut off for my flight ‘gate closes...’

it was nice and smooth but as i passed through it did say take off my hat or glasses but still let me in.

interesting also as Gate A didnt have it (yes i was touring the concourse).
Neither are they in both lounges in C
Old Dec 6, 19, 8:29 am
S.R

Programs: EK Gold
Wasn't in the B F lounge as of Monday either. I saw these while walking to my gate, they must be using the BJ lounge to test it.
Old Dec 7, 19, 12:18 am
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
They're currently only in the J lounge where the original entrance was before (which was closed for renovation for a week or three) - F lounge still has the same reception.
Old Dec 8, 19, 3:31 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Tit, Le Club Accor Silver, IHG Gold, Club Carlson Silver
A bit of background:
Emirates is gearing up to launch the world’s first “biometric path” which will offer its customers a smooth and truly seamless airport journey at the airline’s hub in Dubai International airport.

Utilising the latest biometric technology – a mix of facial and iris recognition, Emirates passengers can soon check in for their flight, complete immigration formalities, enter the Emirates Lounge, and board their flights, simply by strolling through the airport.
source: Emirates Communication
Old Dec 8, 19, 3:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Plat, QF SG, HH Gold, KLM FB
Will hopefully stop all those people trying to charm the dragons to get in.
Old Dec 8, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: TK Elite, EK Gold, ICC Centurion
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou View Post
They're currently only in the J lounge where the original entrance was before (which was closed for renovation for a week or three) - F lounge still has the same reception.
I used the BJ lounge on the morning of Dec 3. A lady at the lounge entrance told me it was installed on Nov 30.

Worked like a charm but I'm wondering where they got the existing biometric data from. I am registered for Smart Gate; I suspect it is from there?

What about those who may not have biometric data on file. Do you have to consent to this entry method to use the lounge? Can you decline and have someone scan your BP for entry?
Old Dec 8, 19, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by avarice13 View Post
I used the BJ lounge on the morning of Dec 3. A lady at the lounge entrance told me it was installed on Nov 30.

Worked like a charm but I'm wondering where they got the existing biometric data from. I am registered for Smart Gate; I suspect it is from there?

What about those who may not have biometric data on file. Do you have to consent to this entry method to use the lounge? Can you decline and have someone scan your BP for entry?

Use the entry for BJ lounge via lift at other end or side entry both of which are staffed to manually check BP.

... Or go to AJ or either CJ lounges which are without automatic gates.

Also at the automatic gates entry to BJ lounge there are 2 dragons who can do the manual entry with BP.

Same as I was allowed previously with BP via dragon, the automatic gate also allowed entry (with no raised eyebrows/questioning when I entered lounge 23 hrs before flight), so I presumed it allows entry up to 24 hrs before flight?

Last edited by ElJudioErrante; Dec 10, 19 at 4:37 am
Old Dec 8, 19, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by avarice13 View Post

UAE/Dubai doesn't have data protection laws similar to EU or other western countries. As it stands, it's pretty much down to Emirates Group to decide. If they deem all gates need to be biometric only (if it gets them in Guiness books), then there will be no manual checking.
Old Dec 8, 19, 12:41 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante View Post
Use the entry for BJ lounge via lift at other end or side entry both of which are staffed to manually check BP.

... Or go to AJ or either CJ lounges which are without automatic gates.
The trouble with entering or leaving the lounge via the lift near Gate B6 is that you must go through the smoking section.

Last week my flight left from B5 and I thought I would be clever by walking all through the lounge. It was horrendous having to go through a thick blanket of smoke to exit the lounge. I feel sorry for staff having to work in such conditions. Never again.
Dambus and S c 0 TT y like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: