F breakfast...horrendous

Old Dec 3, 19, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by MarshyM View Post
Fancy mocking someone whose paid his own hard-earned for a premium product and was expecting better... Yeah, of course it's first world problems but shouldn't they be told these things?
Eggs aren't cooked to order on EK, unlike LH. So I am not sure how you were expecting them to be cooked a certain way. "Horrendous" and "Inedible" qualify for hyperbole of the month
Old Dec 3, 19, 9:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Is the "over easy" something stated on the menu, or something you asked for? Looking at the description of "over easy" eggs, I struggle to see how this could be achieved in-flight :-

An egg cooked “over easy” means that it gets fried on both sides, but it's not cooked for very long on the second side, so the yolk doesn't get cooked through and stays runny.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 10:03 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by amnicoll View Post
My experience of breakfasts in First and Business generally is that it is best to avoid the "western "options, like the above some of the Asian options can be great and no problem in delaying diner until breakfast on airlines which offer dine when you want
Agreed. Always get the non-western breakfast option. I've had good indian, chinese, and japanese style breakfasts on flights.
Old Dec 3, 19, 11:13 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
EY do amazing eggs,
NoY likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Inedible is a bit of an overstatement and probably won't gain you any sympathy. I you do end up complaining, maybe tone it down a bit. That actually looks like a pretty decent breakfast.
BadoRas likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:44 pm
formerly EKplat

Programs: EK platinum
Originally Posted by MarshyM View Post
Fancy mocking someone whose paid his own hard-earned for a premium product and was expecting better... Yeah, of course it's first world problems but shouldn't they be told these things?
You're absolutely right ................ it's a first world problem.

Leave it at that.
Old Dec 3, 19, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Is the "over easy" something stated on the menu, or something you asked for? Looking at the description of "over easy" eggs, I struggle to see how this could be achieved in-flight :-
Unless they were American, I'd be surprised if the cabin crew even knew what over easy meant. I don't hear it much, if at all, outside the USA,and using it on a Middle East airline's flight between the UK and Dubai wouldn't cross my mind.
Old Dec 3, 19, 9:00 pm
NoY

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, EY Gold, QR Gold, CX, SQ
The breakfast pictured does indeed look disgusting (to me). EK food is generally poor. It just is. Even in F.

EK have there own kitchens (in Dubai) & the food is still poor. They have the money to do better, as indeed it should, but do not have the will to do better.

Of course it won't spend the required money whilst it pours huge amounts cash into marketing & hype persuading people that it is wonderful.

EK is more concerned with image than substance, just like the country it originates from, and therein lies the route of the problem
writetorich likes this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
Unless they were American, I'd be surprised if the cabin crew even knew what over easy meant. I don't hear it much, if at all, outside the USA,and using it on a Middle East airline's flight between the UK and Dubai wouldn't cross my mind.
Indeed, I had no idea what over easy meant. Which is why I'm wondering if that's how they are described on the menu.
Old Dec 4, 19, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Silver...just
Yeah its actually the menu description 'Over Easy Eggs'. And I've let it go...yay! haha
BadoRas likes this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:51 pm
formerly EKplat

Programs: EK platinum
Originally Posted by NoY View Post
EK is more concerned with image than substance, just like the country it originates from, and therein lies the root of the problem

There's definitely truth in that.

Dubai's lack of substance is usually ignored by those who are blinded by their own perception that the place is somehow exotic because it's much warmer than where they come from!

For so many expats, wages are orders of magnitude higher than what they can ever expect back home. They live what they consider to be the high life until they crash back to earth when it's time to return home. Most of them can't afford to return home and have to remain exiles from their own country. Very sad.

Apologies, this is off-topic. Back to the eggs discussion!!!
NoY likes this.

Last edited by Zol; Dec 4, 19 at 7:31 pm Reason: Removed derogatory remarks
Old Dec 4, 19, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by BadoRas View Post
For so many UK expats in particular, expat wages are orders of magnitude higher than what they can ever expect back home. They live what they consider to be the high life until they crash back to earth when it's time to return home. Most of them can't afford to return home and have to remain exiles from their own country. Very sad
Replace "UK expats" with 'Indians' or "Pakistanis" and read that back...
NoY and SheldonB14 like this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 8:06 pm
NoY

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, EY Gold, QR Gold, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Replace "UK expats" with 'Indians' or "Pakistanis" and read that back...
So true. EK's (& UAE's) workforce is made up of dozens of expats & they all there earning far more than at home. Of course EK benefits from these (to them) low wages & the expats benefit from (to them) high wages.
Old Dec 4, 19, 10:31 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BadoRas View Post
There's definitely truth in that.

Dubai's lack of substance is usually ignored by those who are blinded by their own perception that the place is somehow exotic because it's much warmer than where they come from!

For so many expats, wages are orders of magnitude higher than what they can ever expect back home. They live what they consider to be the high life until they crash back to earth when it's time to return home. Most of them can't afford to return home and have to remain exiles from their own country. Very sad.

Apologies, this is off-topic. Back to the eggs discussion!!!
Originally Posted by NoY View Post
So true. EK's (& UAE's) workforce is made up of dozens of expats & they all there earning far more than at home. Of course EK benefits from these (to them) low wages & the expats benefit from (to them) high wages.
What does any of this have to do with the breakfast tray?
Old Yesterday, 3:40 am
NoY

Originally Posted by Zol View Post
What does any of this have to do with the breakfast tray?
Fair question

It has quite a lot do with the breakfast tray because it points to EK's inherent ability to provide much better quality food from its low cost ex-pat cost base than it actual chosses to. It chooses to provide something that's barely acceptable because it can. This is at least partly due to its massive, glossy marketing & huge hype machine. See beneath the marketing hype & we find poor food, 2-3-2 slopey seats in J (on more than half its current fleet), dated service concepts, terrible IT & so on. Just saying

Search this Thread