Advice for expiring miles

Old Nov 28, 19, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Titanium Hertz Gold
Advice for expiring miles

Hi I have 86K points that will be expiring in about a week, I can pay up to $1200 to keep them from expiring, which seems insane! So I thought I'd reach out to the experts on here to see if there was any suggestions to either extending them or using them. I don't have any EK flights coming up, but would like to use them to go to SIN in Jun or July.
Old Nov 28, 19, 2:21 pm

Could consider booking a flight flexible with a low cancellation fee and then in a week cancelling and they should refund points,
Old Nov 28, 19, 9:25 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by kcmd View Post
Hi I have 86K points that will be expiring in about a week, I can pay up to $1200 to keep them from expiring, which seems insane! So I thought I'd reach out to the experts on here to see if there was any suggestions to either extending them or using them. I don't have any EK flights coming up, but would like to use them to go to SIN in Jun or July.
You indicate that you want to go to SIN next year. Any chance of booking that now and using the miles? You can possibly use the miles for an award (depending on your route, class of travel and availability) or otherwise as ‘cash and miles’ (which is not the best way to use miles, but better than seeing them evaporate). Even if you had to change the dates later (try to have to avoid that), the change fee might well be less than $1200.
Old Nov 29, 19, 1:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by suley View Post
Could consider booking a flight flexible with a low cancellation fee and then in a week cancelling and they should refund points,
But they'd still expire, even if they were refunded.
Old Nov 29, 19, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Titanium Hertz Gold
Thanks for the tips and insight. As I'm booking for 4 people, cash+miles is my only real option, but the miles for cash comes out to ~400$ when I tried a dummy booking, and I don't want to impulse buy anything. So this may be "Au revoir" to my points.
Old Dec 1, 19, 8:08 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
You can redeem them for hotel stays or sports events etc
Old Dec 2, 19, 1:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by suley View Post
Expired miles will not be refunded, they will disappear, this is not good advice, OP please don't do this...

Happy belated birthday, though. If your miles were expiring it means it was your birthday month
thijsseh likes this.
Old Dec 2, 19, 2:53 pm

Programs: Skywards
Can you use them to upgrade your flight to business? I would do that

Search this Thread
Search Engine: