Introducing Skywards+

Old Feb 6, 2022, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by EKfreak
I have heaps of Miles in my amex and Emirates account... If i want to use a reward upgrade so i will buy the economy flex ticket then upgrade straight away to business. But say i only have 200K points in my emirates account yet the upgrade award takes 240K points but with the skyward + membership would give me a discount and make it 200K points - can you do that or do you have to have the FULL amount of points in your skywards account before booking a upgrade reward?
I'm pretty sure you only need 80% (200k in your case). When I upgraded now, it didn't show the pre-discount price at all, it just showed the upgrade as costing 48k points (usually it costs 60k). Two things to note:
1. It took me 24 hours before the discount showed, so plan on buying your subscription at least one day before you need to upgrade.
2. Don't buy a Skywards+ subscription on the 1st of the month (see above).
3. You can't always upgrade immediately to business. When booking, it will show whether you can upgrade instantly or not. Note as well, that sometimes it says you can't upgrade instantly even when you can.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat.
Originally Posted by jackiedada
If I recall correctly, I first selected the Y flights, then went to the next page where it showed the total miles to be deducted including the 20% discount and then I went back and selected the J flights. Hope this helps.
I tried a few times using Y as the search function, and "J" is not an option to select since it is "insufficient miles." I tried on both Mac/PC chrome/safari, as well as clicking "flights" and using the back page arrow. How did you "go back"? Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JustinMSP
I tried a few times using Y as the search function, and "J" is not an option to select since it is "insufficient miles." I tried on both Mac/PC chrome/safari, as well as clicking "flights" and using the back page arrow. How did you "go back"? Thanks for your help.
The way to do this is to go to your Skyward account and then under the Skywards+ plan click the 20% discount on Reward flights - this will bring you to the Classic rewards booking page with the discount coupon applied. Then search for a Y reward. This will also show the J rewards next to the Y rewards and a "Yellow" dot on top indicating that the reward is applicable for a 20% discount. You will be able to select the J rewards and continue with the booking process.
If you start the way I did, then on your Classic reward search page it should show you a unique code applied to the "Promotional offers" text box. Then you do not get the "Insufficient miles" error. At least that was my experience.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:39 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Skywards+ cost

I am seeing the price of Skywards+ according to various travel sites is $900 for Premium, but when I visit the Emirates site I can only find it as AED3860 which is about $60 more - has the cost gone up?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 4:26 pm

If you start the way I did, then on your Classic reward search page it should show you a unique code applied to the "Promotional offers" text box. Then you do not get the "Insufficient miles" error. At least that was my experience.
I paid for the package two days ago and continue to get an error that states the following when trying to access my voucher.
Error:
Sorry, we are currently having technical issues. Please try again later.

Any idea how to overcome this? I need to book a flight soon and want to use the voucher.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Originally Posted by brodielayne
I paid for the package two days ago and continue to get an error that states the following when trying to access my voucher.
Error:
Sorry, we are currently having technical issues. Please try again later.

Any idea how to overcome this? I need to book a flight soon and want to use the voucher.

​​​​​​​

I had this couple years ago. I used the online chat and was transferred to a skywards agent who did whole thing quickly online.
brodielayne likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by yyzlhr

I had this couple years ago. I used the online chat and was transferred to a skywards agent who did whole thing quickly online.
Im going to have to call. Tried chat and Twitter team and both were useless.
On a side note, can this be used on partners or only Emirates metal?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 12:22 pm

Im going to have to call. Tried chat and Twitter team and both were useless.
On a side note, can this be used on partners or only Emirates metal?
Update: Calling offered no solution and I was advised to submit my concern online. It was responded to and I was informed that the engineers had fixed the issue and verified my account is now working. Unfortunately it is still not working and the only way to leverage Skywards+ will be to call in and they will manual add the 20% mileage discount. Oddly I could access the page until the day I signed up. Annoying
Old Apr 17, 2022, 8:38 pm

Looking to book my first flight with EK DXB-JFK in Oct and wondering what my best option is with Skwards+

1) Purchase J tickets with 20% discount or

2) purchase Flex or Flex plus and upgrade using miles also getting the 20% discount

Which option would be better? Is there any benefits booking straight at J? Is there a way to tell I'll be able to upgrade at the time of booking?

Last edited by NYCFlyer19; Apr 17, 2022 at 8:44 pm
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:37 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer19
Looking to book my first flight with EK DXB-JFK in Oct and wondering what my best option is with Skwards+

1) Purchase J tickets with 20% discount or

2) purchase Flex or Flex plus and upgrade using miles also getting the 20% discount

Which option would be better? Is there any benefits booking straight at J? Is there a way to tell I'll be able to upgrade at the time of booking?
The big issue here is upgrade / award availability. I have not done the maths on the relative costs, but if the difference is not material I would buy the J tickets outright (which I do anyway without Skywards+).
And yes: You can check upgrade availability during booking by trying to book a classic award. These come from the same inventory as the upgrades would come so at that stage you could decide on buying Y and upgrading with miles or buying J straight away if there is no availability.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: EK
Originally Posted by thijsseh
The big issue here is upgrade / award availability. I have not done the maths on the relative costs, but if the difference is not material I would buy the J tickets outright (which I do anyway without Skywards+).
And yes: You can check upgrade availability during booking by trying to book a classic award. These come from the same inventory as the upgrades would come so at that stage you could decide on buying Y and upgrading with miles or buying J straight away if there is no availability.
That is not the case when leaving from Australia. I have tried numerous flights from trying to book a classic reward business, there is heaps available but there is no upgrade available from economy to business even though its the same fare bucket.
It is really annoying when searching. Not sure why this is?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by EKfreak
That is not the case when leaving from Australia. I have tried numerous flights from trying to book a classic reward business, there is heaps available but there is no upgrade available from economy to business even though its the same fare bucket.
It is really annoying when searching. Not sure why this is?
It needs to be Saver Rewards that are available and not Flex Plus Rewards as they come from another fare bucket again. You also have to search for a round trip when checking even if you only intend to upgrade part of it, as Saver Rewards are not available on one-ways.
Old May 5, 2022, 10:28 pm

Anyone find a work around for the "insufficient miles" error when trying to book when you have enough miles with the discount lately? I've tried the trick posted here but no luck
Old May 5, 2022, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer19
Anyone find a work around for the "insufficient miles" error when trying to book when you have enough miles with the discount lately? I've tried the trick posted here but no luck
Transfer in another 1000 miles, or book with the call center.
Old May 15, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, EK Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz Pres Club
Using upgrade awards

Has anyone tried to use upgrade awards using Skywards+? When I try to upgrade using points to upgrade to Business from a cash economy booking, I am shown the full points required and not with the 20% discount that the Advanced tier of Skywards+ promises. Does anyone know how this works? is the 20% discount shown upfront or credited back after the upgrade is complete?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.