Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates long haul business class B777 vs A380

Old Oct 26, 19, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to decide between a direct flight to Dubai on Emirates B777 vs flying from Seattle to either SFO or LAX so I can fly the A380. The direct flight saves me 5-6 hours of travel and obviously no risk of missing a connection (which wouldn't be booked on the same ticket). I've read up on the differences between the two planes/services, and I just don't know if it's worth it so thought I'd ask here in case people have experience with both. Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 26, 19, 1:18 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Miles & Smiles Elite
The difference between the two is like night and day. Flying J on EK 777 feels like flying economy to me. Go with the 380 and you won't regret it.
NoY likes this.
Old Oct 26, 19, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

What about the connection risk though? I'm worried about what will happen if my first flight is severely delayed or even cancelled on the day - or if one of the airlines changes the schedule to cause me to miss the connection?
Old Oct 26, 19, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Amanda Bishop View Post
What about the connection risk though? I'm worried about what will happen if my first flight is severely delayed or even cancelled on the day - or if one of the airlines changes the schedule to cause me to miss the connection?
Paid or award tickets? For cash paid tickets check the refund-missed flight t&c's
With separate tickets full risk is with you. If you no-show the long haul flight it is your problem, depending on the t&c's. Do not expect help/sympathy from the airline.
Allow plenty of time between flights. Fly the day before and stay overnight.
Schedule change:- just cancel and buy another ticket

Flying out of ORD maybe another option
Great Circle Mapper

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 26, 19 at 2:09 pm
Old Oct 26, 19, 2:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by A380 9K View Post
The difference between the two is like night and day. Flying J on EK 777 feels like flying economy to me. Go with the 380 and you won't regret it.
As someone who flies Y mostly: ha ha ha.

To the OP: it's a difference in that you have horizontal full flat, direct aisle access and a bar. But the 77W is a more intimate cabin and the same soft product (with often better service because fewer pax). 5-6hr of additional travel with no extra cost would be a 50:50 for me.

With extra costs and potential missed connection I'm not sure it's worth it. But you can travel far I'm advance to mitigate that. EK doesn't generally make major or frequent schedule changes to those kind of routes so if anything your domestic flight will cause a misconnect.

(And before Often1 chimes in that this isn't a connection: it isn't, but everyone understands the situation so no need to nerd out on it)
Old Oct 26, 19, 2:17 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
We have been though this argument many times on this forum.
In the end it’s a personal choice and no amount of asking here will give you a definitive answer. The other day I heard about someone who prefers a 77W aisle seat over a 380 aisle seat. And that’s ok, it’s your own set of values that decides this. I personally would not travel another 5 or 6 hours plus have the connection risk in the situation you describe, even though I much prefer the 380 over the 77W if all other factors are equal. If you get a window seat on the 77W, and preferably in the front J cabin you’ll be fine. But again, that’s my personal opinion and everyone else is entitled to disagree.
nancypants and BadoRas like this.
Old Oct 26, 19, 2:19 pm

Programs: QF WP
I have a follow up question- have you flown business class before?

my first business class experience was BA CW which is almost universally panned. But because I hadn’t done business class before it was amazing and as a relatively inexperienced traveller I was grateful for the none stop rather than messing around with connections/non connections to get a “better product”
thijsseh, BadoRas and Will08 like this.
Old Oct 26, 19, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
When are you flying?
If it's in the dead of winter, avoid ORD or JFK.

Fog can screw up flights in SFO so LAX may be safer from a concern over weather delays making you miss a connection.

Have you looked at IAH? That airport flies the a380 and I have flown EK into IAH.

If other airports that are not so much at a risk for weather delays or cancellations would fit your travel time expand the search.
Old Oct 26, 19, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I would personally go via SFO on the A380. The J product is just so much better on the A380 and in general, the plane is nicer too IMO. Quieter, bar area, far better seating, I would take the quick hop down to SFO and onward. There's so many flights from SEA-SFO that I wouldn't be too worried about a misconnect if you book an early enough one.
NoY likes this.
Old Oct 26, 19, 3:35 pm

I fly business on Emirates at least twice a month on both A380 and B777.

If this is a special trip, primarily to enjoy the flight itself, it might be worth going for the A380. It is better, there's no doubt about it.

However, if you're not someone looking to nerd out about it and travel blog it or something similarly odd, I wouldn't bother with the hassle of a connection on different tickets if there's a direct flight. The B777 is still perfectly comfortable to get you where you're going.
nancypants and JTPictureman like this.
Old Oct 26, 19, 4:08 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I like the seats on the 777 since they are 2 inches wider than they are on the A380.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Oct 26, 19, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by A380 9K View Post
username checks out
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 19, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Longton View Post
I like the seats on the 777 since they are 2 inches wider than they are on the A380.
And there's a much more spacious and open feel about them which some people like and others don't.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Oct 29, 19, 6:22 am

Programs: MM, EK, AB/EY, HH, SPG, etc.
I agree that the seats on the 380s are on the narrow side, but then there is a difference there too: elbow width and footwell are better on the newer ones (starting at A6-EEF?). And I much prefer the 380 side minibar storage space setup of the 380 over the „side wall“ of the 777.

Anyway, (mostly flying alone) I pick a 380 over the 777 any day (for anything more than a short regional flight), as I value my privacy and want a single seat with direct aisle access, not be stuck in the twin seat configuration of the 777, and certainly not in the 3-seat centre row!

I wouldn‘t go as far as A380 9K to say 777 J is like flying economy to me, more like premium economy
Old Oct 29, 19, 7:07 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
777-300 business class flat bed length

Hi there

Thinking of flying Emirates for the first time in business class. I am 193cm just around 76 inches. I saw that the bed on the 777 is 72 inches pitch? Does that mean I won't be able to sleep flat or straight on the 777? It seems very inferior to a normal business class flat bed seat on other airlines!

Search this Thread