Cash Upgrades to J - which ticket class?

Old Sep 22, 19, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Cash Upgrades to J - which ticket class?

Folks, wonder if you could help out a BAEC'er out. Not sure if this has been answered before.

I have been tasked with booking my company's next DXB trip with a preference that our group be booked into Y and upgrade for cash quickly to J. Can anyone advise which fare bucket I should be booking the Y ticket in to (a) increase my odds of being able to do a Paid Upgrade via MMB immediately and (b) achieve the most economic overall fare (i..e for the Y ticket + the upgrade).

Last time I booked this trip - I booked us into Flex and got a really upgrade offer (not by email) on the MMB/App/Online portal for about £350 per per person per leg. This was right after booking In fact the MMB offer was far cheaper that the email offer a few days before the flightt. However, I am not sure if I could have achieved the same offer if I booked into Saver.

Lastly, am I correct that Special is non-upgradable?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 22, 19, 4:46 pm

Sounds a bit odd. If you're willing to pay then any fare class (maybe not Special) should be upgradeable but at the same overall cost of a Business Class ticket. The website will try and force a change fee on you which should not be payable and you have to call to get this waived.

I'm not sure what you saw before unless it was at online check in where there are sometimes better offers.

Where are you flying from?
Old Sep 23, 19, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks - so the overall cost is the same? I had been under the impression that the MMB upgrade price I had seen was cheaper than a “normal” upgrade.

So basically - if I am ok with the flexibility issues - there is no harm in booking a Saver ticket if I want to upgrade later (either by way of proactive email offer)?

I flew from GLA last time. However, different people are based in different parts of South Scotland so GLA/MAN/EDI are all acceptable choices.
Old Sep 23, 19, 8:58 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Maybe I’m missing the point here - if you book Y and then cash upgrade to J, you end up paying exactly the same as if you’d just book (the cheapest available) J.

So why not just book everyone into J in the first place as you won’t save any money but have a lot of hassle doing it your way???
Old Sep 23, 19, 9:48 am

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by flieduk View Post
Thanks - so the overall cost is the same? I had been under the impression that the MMB upgrade price I had seen was cheaper than a “normal” upgrade.

So basically - if I am ok with the flexibility issues - there is no harm in booking a Saver ticket if I want to upgrade later (either by way of proactive email offer)?

I flew from GLA last time. However, different people are based in different parts of South Scotland so GLA/MAN/EDI are all acceptable choices.

Correct, the upgrade cost is the fare difference (plus tax difference which is important when leaving from the UK as the APD is significantly more for departures in a premium cabin, having typed this, something nags in my mind that it might be different for Scotland...).
And as mentioned upthread, if you do it through the website, it will charge you a change fee which according to the fare conditions is waived for upgrades to a higher cabin, so rather phone in to do the upgrade and don't do it via MMB.
At times, you may get offers for upgrades at a lower cost when checking in through the website. But a) this cannot be predicted / counted on and b) is on a sector by sector basis and not for the entire (one way) part of your trip.

Search this Thread