FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   ATMs at DXB (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1988291-atms-dxb.html)

kileysmom Sep 21, 2019 10:37 pm

ATMs at DXB

Glad I checked...my little bag of currencies has all of 20 dirhams in it.....somehow I don't think that's gonna do it. It's been a bit since I've been through DXB on Emirates and will be arriving from LAX. Not sure I've ever used an ATM there and sure don't recall where one might be between the arrival gate and the curbside pick up area. A bank might be better as I probably want smaller bills and ATMs often spew out one large note. Arriving about 1930 but seems everything maybe including banks is open 24/7 at DXV. Any suggestions on best place to get a few hundred $ in dirhams and small bills would be much appreciated!

extramileage Sep 21, 2019 10:49 pm

There will be ATMs in both the T3 baggage hall near duty free on the right hand side, and at least one in the center aisle. After passport control when you take a left towards the taxis, there will be several on the left hand side (as well as a UAE Exchange). If taking the Emirates car, there's one (I think) right by the exit to the curb.

The ATM will typically spit out 100, 200 and 500 AED notes. There's a Costa coffee if you need to break some notes.

XXTSGR Sep 21, 2019 10:54 pm

ATMs both before customs (where you collect your luggage) and after in the public arrivals area. Bank in the latter, too. All 24/7.

kileysmom Sep 21, 2019 11:10 pm

Many thanks...sounds easy and a nice coffee would probably be very welcome about then!

DYKWIA Sep 22, 2019 1:56 am

I've not used cash in Dubai for about 5 years :)

Metanoia Sep 22, 2019 2:05 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 31550269)

You're not eating enough sharwarma and drinking enough karak chai then. ;)

Metanoia Sep 22, 2019 2:06 am

Originally Posted by extramileage (Post 31550001)
f taking the Emirates car, there's one (I think) right by the exit to the curb.

I've used the one adjacent to door 4 (the one leading out of Chauffeur Drive) many a time. I believe it's Emirates NBD bank.

BadoRas Sep 22, 2019 10:56 am

Originally Posted by extramileage (Post 31550001)
There will be ATMs in both the T3 baggage hall near duty free on the right hand side, and at least one in the center aisle. After passport control when you take a left towards the taxis, there will be several on the left hand side (as well as a UAE Exchange). If taking the Emirates car, there's one (I think) right by the exit to the curb.

The ATM will typically spit out 100, 200 and 500 AED notes. There's a Costa coffee if you need to break some notes.

If I'm short on small change, I usually break notes at the small shop on the right as you exit the chauffer drive' inner sanctum' through the automatic glass doors. It's at the very north end of the arrivals area, selling drinks, sweets, cigarettes etc. It's a sanitised version of the typical Dubai 'mini supermarket' without most of the groceries.

ps107 Sep 22, 2019 11:46 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 31550269)

I recently weighed in about 50 AED of coins in DXB that had been passed off as NZD at a charity shop in NZ that my mother is involved with.

For OP, try to use a bank machine as from memory some of the ATMs are expensive "multi-currency" machines.

kileysmom Sep 22, 2019 12:10 pm

Thanks to all! Yep, certainly a bank machine over a commercial ATM....guess I use ATM to mean bank because I wouldn't ever use one of the others.....I've been known to "advise" others I see stopping at those machine particularly when they appear to be older folks who may not realize the difference. Guess I have a bit of nosy Nellie in me! Back to the rugby!

sweetsleep Sep 22, 2019 12:13 pm

Do they have any ATMs that dispense GOLD in the DXB airport? That could be interesting!
I know there is a huge mall in the Sandton area of Johannesburg where I saw a Bitcoin ATM-that was a first for me!

DYKWIA Sep 22, 2019 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia (Post 31550278)
You're not eating enough sharwarma and drinking enough karak chai then. ;)

Burger and Stella with m3red is more my style :)

kileysmom Sep 22, 2019 1:20 pm

Where's a great burger to be had in Dubai? All the years I lived in the UK and Europe people would give me directions according to MacDonald's assuming I knew where to start then.....as I used to say, never went to Mickey D's in the US and surely do not go "here" but a burger is really great on occasion and I recall well driving into central London when the first Burger King opened just to have an "American' burger.

ps107 Sep 22, 2019 2:06 pm

And where's a good place in Dubai to get a Stella? Nearly every draught beer I've had there has tasted a bit "off".

ft101 Sep 22, 2019 5:06 pm

Instead of requesting eg 400 AED from the ATM, request 390 and you'll get smaller denominations if available.