Wiki Posts
Search

EK416 - 18 Sep 2019 Emergency

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold, Etihad Gold, Flying Blue Silver
EK416 - 18 Sep 2019 Emergency

I had some relatives onboard yesterday's flight, EK416 from Dubai to Sydney (21:30 departure). The plane encountered some sort of technical difficulties shortly after take off, dumped fuel off the coast of Oman and landed back safely in Dubai. Would anyone be able to explain exactly what happened? My relatives are very shaken by the experience.

Many thanks
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: Emirates Gold + BA Silver
I think you have covered it already.
  • Took off
  • Got a Technical Problem
  • Dumped Fuel
  • Returned to Dubai
  • Everyone Safe

What more do you need?

I doubt you will get specifics.
anniegray likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Nothing too worrying about that. It's a 4 engine plane, one of the engines probably went bye bye. Nothing too out of the ordinary and likely not a dangerous situation
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Nothing too worrying about that. It's a 4 engine plane, one of the engines probably went bye bye. Nothing too out of the ordinary and likely not a dangerous situation
The 416 is a 77W
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by nmc980
The 416 is a 77W
Whoops. Still unlikely to be a very dangerous situation considering those aircraft are rated ETOPS200+ (not sure if 210 or 240). 77W has the most powerful jet engine in commercial operation after all
nmc980 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Or, as often the case is, one the flight deck lights started flashing "Strange" so they turned around.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by extramileage
Or, as often the case is, one the flight deck lights started flashing "Strange" so they turned around.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Marco
I had some relatives onboard yesterday's flight, EK416 from Dubai to Sydney (21:30 departure). The plane encountered some sort of technical difficulties shortly after take off, dumped fuel off the coast of Oman and landed back safely in Dubai. Would anyone be able to explain exactly what happened? My relatives are very shaken by the experience.

Many thanks
Didn't the Captain/First Officer say anything?

I had a similar experience couple of weeks ago. My EK flight (LGW-DXB) took off and didn't climb over 7,000ft for about 30 mins and the Captain was excellent. He explained there was an issue with the cargo door and he also emphasized the aircraft was safe and he was going to circle around, dump fuel and land back at LGW. He kept making announcements at regular intervals and kept passengers updated.

They managed to fix the issue at Gatwick and we took off few hours later.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Marco

Many thanks
One more thing - If their trip originated from Europe, then they maybe eligible for EC261 compensation
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
I looked at avherald.com which usually has comprehensive reports of incidents but this flight doesn’t appear in their list because nobody has reported the incident yet. If you get your relatives to email what happened into the editor there, he might be able to find other info and flesh out the description and analysis of what happened:

https://avherald.com/h?contact=&opt=0

(edited to add: if they’re nervous flyers perhaps the last thing you want to do is point them to avherald’s exhaustive list of incidents... :-)

Last edited by salut0; Sep 19, 2019 at 11:29 am
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: SPG, HHonors
The most common type of things that can cause a fuel jettison and return to origin are:

Engine failure
Pressurization problem
Landing gear problem (won't retract -or- gear retracts but gear door stays open)
Severely sick/injured passenger or crewmember

They mentioned a technical issue, so likely one of the first 3. I'd say it's not that important to find the granular details, but as posters upthread said, you could check it on the internet at the linked site after a week or so there will probably be a small report about it to satisfy your curiosity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.