Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

A380 First Class - Switching Seats with Economy

Old Sep 15, 19, 6:24 am
Original Poster

So I’ll be flying with my parents from the States to DXB soon. I have a seat in F while my parents will be down in Economy. They’ve never experienced First or Business before and I’d love to change that. I was thinking about the best way to go about having my mom take my seat for the first half of the flight and then my dad for the rest. It’s a *very* long flight.

Do crew members in First know passengers’ age? I’m currently planning to board with my parents whenever their group is called, and have them scan my ticket. Then, on jet bridge I’d switch boarding passes with my mom. I figure the safest option is to switch with her first to arouse less suspicion as we’re both female. Then, at some point, my mom could ask a flight attendant if it was ok to switch seats with my father in couch.

Has anyone done something like this before? On Emirates specifically? I imagine switching with one person for the entire flight should be completely fine, specially if you’re the same gender. However, having two separate people use your seat sounds iffier.

Really want to try to give my parents a nice experience.
Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 19, 6:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
Switching mid-flight is not generally acceptable or suggested. You can switch during boarding and one of your parents can remain in F for the entire flight. You can also ask the FAs very kindly if they'd allow your parents to join you at the bar for a drink perhaps during a quiet period.
Metanoia likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 6:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You can ask, but I doubt EK would be happy with changing part way through the flight. In theory, F is dine on demand, so your mother could have a full meal, and then your father could request the same.
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:25 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Just give the seat to your mother (you can tell them, they wont mind) and hang with your dad. Mom will love you and the crew will think you're the best son.
argonath likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:28 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond, Mileage Plan member, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by extramileage View Post
Just give the seat to your mother (you can tell them, they wont mind) and hang with your dad. Mom will love you and the crew will think you're the best son.
Even though OP is a daughter!
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
You can ask, but I doubt EK would be happy with changing part way through the flight. In theory, F is dine on demand, so your mother could have a full meal, and then your father could request the same.
I definitely expect them both to have full meals. It’s a 14 hour flight!
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoyed Platinum, AS MVPG. EK Gold, AMEX MR, Chase UR
I don't mean to be a downer but to set expectations, EK is very strict on what they call "cross-cabin movement of services" - and I think this covers people physically moving between cabins during the flight. Most of the US3 carriers will let some champagne flow downhill, so to speak, but EK has a culture that frowns upon breaking the rules and incentivizes reporting of colleagues who do.

I say swap with your mom at the boarding door - the cabin supervisor or purser will usually be there and they'd be happy to officially make the swap. You'll know that she's enjoying the experience of a lifetime upstairs And then do the same for your dad on the way back.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by flydontdie View Post
I definitely expect them both to have full meals. It’s a 14 hour flight!
That's one of the many problems, in theory the boarding pass could allow for at least 3 meals and 3 different people using the shower (on a 380) in your case if they permitted mid-flight swapping. Imagine one of those extended families of 10, where do you draw the line, 1 swap, 3 swaps, 5 swaps?
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 12:35 am

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Of course I don’t know the circumstances, but I could not help wondering if three business class tickets would not have been an alternative solution to the ‘problem’.
nancypants and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 1:59 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by Metanoia View Post
I don't mean to be a downer but to set expectations, EK is very strict on what they call "cross-cabin movement of services" - and I think this covers people physically moving between cabins during the flight. Most of the US3 carriers will let some champagne flow downhill, so to speak, but EK has a culture that frowns upon breaking the rules and incentivizes reporting of colleagues who do.
Definitely - and they’ve really cracked the whip with their cabin crew in this regard.

If you’re an F pax that fancies a wander down to the Y loos or galley to pick up a chocolate bar, no problem. Try it the other way round or, as a status pax, ask for an item from a higher cabin, you’ll most likely get a firm but friendly ‘No’ nowadays.
Metanoia and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 2:16 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by extramileage View Post
Just give the seat to your mother (you can tell them, they wont mind) and hang with your dad. Mom will love you and the crew will think you're the best DAUGHTER.
Sorry! (I did this for my mother once, so was thinking how I got 'best son' award)

Last edited by extramileage; Sep 17, 19 at 3:05 am
Old Sep 17, 19, 11:12 am

Programs: Skywards
Ask them super politely on board.

I have swapped seats with my girlfriend once (you can guess which one she took!) but that was for the entire flight
Metanoia likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 11:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Ashok Khanna View Post

I have swapped seats with my girlfriend once (you can guess which one she took!) but that was for the entire flight
I don't think that a single change would be frowned upon. But swapping half way through a flight wouldn't be possible (probably!).
Ashok Khanna likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Ashok Khanna View Post

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I don't think that a single change would be frowned upon. But swapping half way through a flight wouldn't be possible (probably!).
They'd be more than happy to facilitate a change before they close the boarding door. Maybe even after the first glass of champagne is out...
Ashok Khanna likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by XXTSGR View Post

If you’re an F pax that fancies a wander down to the Y loos or galley to pick up a chocolate bar, no problem.
You can tell the Y cabin crew you're getting some exercise climbing the stairs...

Search this Thread