Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Old EK B777 F worth it for short KWI-DXB flight?

Old Sep 12, 19, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond

I need to fly KWI-DXB next week and I'm trying to decide between a 140$ (or so) Y cash ticket and 24k Amex points (transferred to Qantas) + 230$ in fees and taxes.
The flight is blocked at 1:45 hours.

I have only flown EK in Y before, and that was in 2011 if I remember correctly - a long time ago. Would you splurge on this?
I am worried that the net flying time is half an hour at most. Do they even offer expensive champagne or decent food on such a short flight?
Old Sep 12, 19, 1:13 pm

I'm sure others have more experience than me, but I'll throw in what I have. I flew MCT-DXB in first as part of a longer trip. We got a meal, though it was brief. They had good wines. You can see the wine list and menu for your flight (e.g. look at kwi-dxb for tomorrow) on emirates.com. When we landed in DXB, we were at a remote stand, and first class got its own bus with huge chairs, which was fun. I don't know what the lounge situation will be in your case, but that might also make a difference. You get to enjoy the seat, get your notebook, all the drinks and candy bars, etc. It will obviously make you desperate to get the full experience on a long-haul flight. In the end, it always just depends on how you value the dollars and miles. To me you're looking at about $470, which I'd be a bit uncomfortable spending on such a short flight, but that's me.
Old Sep 12, 19, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yeah, I spoke to a friend who's flown DXB-MCT in EK F when it was cheap with EY miles. He said ex DXB it might make some sense (though not much) because you at least get the lounge.
But apparently there are pretty much zero ground services for First Class at KWI or DXB (assuming you don't arrive at a remote stand), and the flight is super short.
In the end, I went with coach.
Old Sep 12, 19, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory View Post
Yeah, I spoke to a friend who's flown DXB-MCT in EK F when it was cheap with EY miles. He said ex DXB it might make some sense (though not much) because you at least get the lounge.
But apparently there are pretty much zero ground services for First Class at KWI or DXB (assuming you don't arrive at a remote stand), and the flight is super short.
In the end, I went with coach.
You could never book EK flights with EY miles
Old Sep 12, 19, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
You could never book EK flights with EY miles
I'm sorry, you're right of course. It was Oman Air F, DXB-MCT.
Old Sep 12, 19, 2:50 pm

At least when I did it (this was a flight around 4am, I believe), the plane was only half-full at best, so I suspect that it's a pretty comfortable little trip even in coach.
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 3:35 pm

Programs: Skywards
I wouldn’t. I’ve done Kuwait to Dubai many times, Kuwait airport is not great and the Emirates lounge is ok but nothing you’d pay much for.

Flight is short, sometimes it can be even shorter.

Its a comfortable flight in Y, but thats just me.
ChocolateFactory likes this.

Search this Thread